Turkey launches nationwide campaign for new currency

Old September 28th 04, 09:59 PM
gogu

? "Jorg Lueke" ?????? ??? ??????
news
On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 19:31:48 -0400, Padraic Brown
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:48:28 +0300, "gogu"
wrote:

Sarkozy made his comments after French Prime Minister Jean-Pierre
Raffarin voiced misgivings on Thursday about Turkey joining the bloc,
asking if Europe really wanted "the river of Islam to enter the
riverbed of secularism."

Hah! France is practiacally a Muslim country, when compared to other
large EU countries! They ought to get along with Turkish membership
like a house afire!

Padraic.

I think it would be wonderful if Turkey were to eventually join. The EU
would certainly have a moderating influence on the more egregious Turkish
policies and help stabilize a secular Islamic state. Over time, perhaps,
we could even see a Mediterranean addendum to the EU with peaceful,
democratic, stable Islamic and Christian countries joined together.

:-))))))))))))))))

Seriously now, I *do* want to see a democratic Turkey joining EU.
That would mean that Turkey has reached a high democratic level, which is
nice!
The problem is how long it will take for the Turkish society/political class
to reach that level...
After that, I'd be glad to see them in EU.
That's about in 25-50 years from now.

--
http://gogu.enosi.org/index.html

http://www.romclub.4t.com/rabin.html

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure in codesto reame
debban risolversi tutte con grandi puttane!
F.d.A

Old September 28th 04, 11:18 PM
Jorg Lueke

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:59:49 +0300, gogu wrote:

Seriously now, I *do* want to see a democratic Turkey joining EU.
That would mean that Turkey has reached a high democratic level, which is
nice!
The problem is how long it will take for the Turkish society/political
class
to reach that level...
After that, I'd be glad to see them in EU.
That's about in 25-50 years from now.

The exat speed at which Turkey would join would not be as important as
long as the country was headed in that direction. In other words making
progress. I wish we would do the same in the WTO. I'd much prefer to
trade with a country like India than China. Especially with no mechanism
to measure/force any changes. And an ecenomic carrot will always be
preferable to the alternative.
Old September 29th 04, 09:40 PM
gogu

? "Jorg Lueke" ?????? ??? ??????
news
On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 23:59:49 +0300, gogu wrote:

Seriously now, I *do* want to see a democratic Turkey joining EU.
That would mean that Turkey has reached a high democratic level, which

is
nice!
The problem is how long it will take for the Turkish society/political
class
to reach that level...
After that, I'd be glad to see them in EU.
That's about in 25-50 years from now.

The exat speed at which Turkey would join would not be as important as
long as the country was headed in that direction. In other words making
progress.

This is true and I am very happy for that !

I wish we would do the same in the WTO. I'd much prefer to
trade with a country like India than China.

Well, no objection here, but why ?

Especially with no mechanism
to measure/force any changes.

I see.
I think that soon we will see great changes there.
But let's be careful: not always changes are good!
A small story to make my point clear:
when I was (much) younger, I was a little "rebel" like all the young people
:-)
My father was always conservative and anti-communist.
He used to blame the commie regimes that they have no freedom and as an
example he was saying that their citizens could not travel freely abroad!
I still remember that I was saying "be afraid if they are left free to come
her" ;-)
He was objecting, and so on...
Years have passed, year 1989 came, the Iron Curtain was dismantled and ...
thousands of "easterners" came in my country...
Criminality has raised, unemployment, etc...
At that point I asked my father if he still remembers what I said to him
some time ago...
And for the *first* time in his life that proud man who *never* accepted
that he did/said something wrong, accepted that in this case he was wrong!

What I want to say is that *maybe* a completely free China is not a so good
idea...
Nothing racist here, just simple economics.