capital gains

Old January 21st 05, 03:19 AM
Dave C.

Default capital gains

In your opinion, what fraction of collectors/investors report their capital gains when they sell coins?
Old January 21st 05, 03:30 AM
Bruce Remick

"Dave C." wrote in message
In your opinion, what fraction of collectors/investors report their capital
gains when they sell coins?

Sorry, but I don't see that particular fraction on my keyboard.

Anyway, I don't see how anyone could have the information on what
collectors/investors claim on their tax forms to hazzard a meaningful guess.

Bruce
'the cheapest solution? never sell.....'

Old January 21st 05, 04:05 AM
Michael R

"Dave C." wrote in message ...
In your opinion, what fraction of collectors/investors report their capital gains when they sell coins?

5-10% (out of thin air)

--
Michael R
AKA mrae7 on Ebay/Yahoo
Old January 21st 05, 04:14 AM
Bill Krummel

"Dave C." wrote in message
In your opinion, what fraction of collectors/investors report their capital
gains when they sell coins?

Well, I report any gains, but I don't feel very believable when I type that.
Still, I have had gains in three of the last four years and have the returns
for proof that I was reporting.

I suspect the percentage of those that report is very low ( I would guess
under 10%), but it has nothing to do with the ethics of collectors as a
subset of the human race, more of a demo of the ethics of the human race.

From 1980 to 1986, I put food on the table at home by cutting and selling
firewood for six months out of the year. Seven days a week, weather
permitting, it was be in the woods by 8 am, be home by 4pm to clean up and
run the restaurant from 5pm to roughly midnight (again, 7 day/wk). I
reported my wood cutting income each year and was called a fool countless
times (well, at least numerous times) during those years. Called a fool by
community leaders, church elders, etc. I would be asked how much I made
cutting and selling firewood, I would answer, they would wink,wink, nudge,
nudge and say "not bad for tax free income", I would protest "not so", and
then I would be told I was crazy, or a fool.

I doubt very many report any type of income if they think they can get away
with it.

Bill

Old January 21st 05, 04:27 AM
Byron L. Reed

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 22:19:24 -0500, "Dave C."
wrote:

In your opinion, what fraction of collectors/investors report their capital gains when they sell coins?

The same fraction that sell them through a major dealer/auction and
produce a paper trail.

BLReed

To e-mail me, remove the obvious spam trap.
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices: http://tinyurl.com/pt9r
Cool things and Bust Coin Forum: http://www.byronreed.com
Old January 21st 05, 06:18 AM
Aladdin Sane

Gains? What strange words you use Kimosabe.

--
*
/?\

A conclusion is simply the place
where you decided to stop thinking.

Old January 21st 05, 08:19 AM
John N

Just testing

Old January 21st 05, 08:23 AM
Sam Flanigan

glad to hear it..

"John N" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just testing

Old January 21st 05, 04:11 PM
Dave Allured

Bill Krummel wrote:

"Dave C." wrote in message
In your opinion, what fraction of collectors/investors report their capital
gains when they sell coins?

Well, I report any gains, but I don't feel very believable when I type that.
Still, I have had gains in three of the last four years and have the returns
for proof that I was reporting.

I suspect the percentage of those that report is very low ( I would guess
under 10%), but it has nothing to do with the ethics of collectors as a
subset of the human race, more of a demo of the ethics of the human race.

From 1980 to 1986, I put food on the table at home by cutting and selling
firewood for six months out of the year. Seven days a week, weather
permitting, it was be in the woods by 8 am, be home by 4pm to clean up and
run the restaurant from 5pm to roughly midnight (again, 7 day/wk). I
reported my wood cutting income each year and was called a fool countless
times (well, at least numerous times) during those years. Called a fool by
community leaders, church elders, etc. I would be asked how much I made
cutting and selling firewood, I would answer, they would wink,wink, nudge,
nudge and say "not bad for tax free income", I would protest "not so", and
then I would be told I was crazy, or a fool.

I doubt very many report any type of income if they think they can get away
with it.

Bill, I applaud your integrity.

--Dave

Gold coin sales are booming in India John Stone Coins 24 November 14th 04 05:55 PM
Capital Coin grading JOPN Coins 3 January 29th 04 03:03 AM
Freakfield (with capital "F") & NUDO are the same! freakfield 8 Track Tapes 1 August 14th 03 01:22 PM
Venture Capital Available Jay Paper Money 0 July 25th 03 04:21 AM