Possibly infected...

Old March 6th 04, 01:56 PM
gogu

Default Possibly infected...

Hello friends!

If there is one of you with the address d.mcdermott@ gold.ac.uk he must
know that he is infected.
Address sounds a bell but I am not sure...

--
http://www.romclub.4t.com/rabin.html

E' mai possibile, oh porco di un cane, che le avventure in codesto reame
debban risolversi tutte con grandi puttane!
F.d.A

Old March 6th 04, 09:31 PM
Jim Seymour

gogu wrote:
If there is one of you with the address ...snip... he must
know that he is infected.
Address sounds a bell but I am not sure...

All modern viruses forge the From address. If you received an infected
email with that address in the From line, all it means is that the
infected person's machine had access to your address and the address you
listed (which I removed since he's probably an innocent bystander).

In the olden days, viruses harvested email addresses by looking in the
address book, but nowadays they dig deeper - looking in the web and
newgroup cache. So, all this means is that somebody who reads
rec.collecting.coins got infected - and that could be almost anybody.

A much better indicator is to look at the originating IP address, but
that only gets you close. It's hard to tie it down to a specific person.

I get a couple viruses per day directed to this email address - which I
use only here, and only started using here a couple weeks ago. It's
just one of the things you have to put up with these days when you use
an email address in a public place.

--
Jim Seymour
Old March 6th 04, 09:50 PM
Joe Fischer

On Sat, Jim Seymour wrote:

gogu wrote:
If there is one of you with the address ...snip... he must
know that he is infected.
Address sounds a bell but I am not sure...

All modern viruses forge the From address. If you received an infected
email with that address in the From line, all it means is that the
infected person's machine had access to your address and the address you
listed (which I removed since he's probably an innocent bystander).

Some email worms do nothing but spoof, with only
the receiving machine involved.
Everybody should make sure their machine is clean,
a free Microtrend housecall may help.

I have the advantage of being able to do email without
an email inbox or outbox or address book, with web mail and
another way to use DOS to read email on my ISP server.
But perhaps nothing is for sure.

Joe Fischer

Old March 6th 04, 10:29 PM
Jim Seymour

Joe Fischer wrote:
On Sat, Jim Seymour wrote:
All modern viruses forge the From address. If you received an
infected email with that address in the From line, all it means is
that the infected person's machine had access to your address and
the address you listed (which I removed since he's probably an
innocent bystander).

Some email worms do nothing but spoof, with only the receiving
machine involved. Everybody should make sure their machine is clean,
a free Microtrend housecall may help.

And, of course, by "Microtrend", you mean "Trend Micro" :-)

Free web-based virus scanner: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

--
Jim Seymour
Old March 7th 04, 01:24 PM
gogu

? "Jim Seymour" ?????? ??? ??????
gogu wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the insight Jim!
I thought it was someone having his computer infected by a virus and just
wanted to worn him/her.
I am behind two software firewalls and one hardware f.w, so I feel in
relative safety but you never know ;-)