Least valuable currency

Old March 15th 07, 01:12 PM posted to misc.invest.misc,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money,24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.econ
Dik T. Winter

Default Least valuable currency

In article "Sgt.Sausage" writes:
I think it was just under $650 bucks I turned in and
after exchange fees I had just over a Million Lira. I
was a millionaire!!

The last time I was in Turkey (before the revaluation) we had lunch with
four. The tip to the waiter I gave was 10 million lira.
Old March 15th 07, 01:31 PM posted to misc.invest.misc,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money,24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.econ
Dik T. Winter

In article .com "RF" writes:
On Mar 14, 3:48 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"KnowledgeSeeker" wrote in message
ups.com...

Where can I find a list of the countries with the least valuable
currency? I am NOT looking for a place to do foreign exchange trading
to create fabulous wealth. So, please do not spam me. I am working
on a project that is, well... not commercial. So, I am looking for an
easy to use source of data. Thanks.

What may be a good list today with almost certainly be no longer a good
list some time from now. When figures go out of the window, countries
have the tendency to revaluate their currency, as was last done in
Turkey (they dropped the last six zeros).

Some of the components of what used to be Yugoslavia have undergone
reductions so drastic that it almost takes scientific notation (as in ten
to the minus x) to express them. Argentina, Brazil, Israel, and no doubt
others have experienced the same thing. Many Latin American countries have
given up entirely and now deem the U.S. dollar fit for their monetary

All of those components of Yugoslavia have revaluated and are now quite
stable.

Living in a country during a hyperinflation is an interesting
experience, to say the least. Prices changed daily, sometimes hourly
as the people sought to unload their worthless currency.

Reminds me of a story about the hyperinflation in Germany in the twenties.
Somebody entered a cafe to drink a coffee. He wanted to leave an hour
later, but at that time had not enough money to pay for his coffee. The
price had risen considerably during his stay.

The worst case of hyperinflation was in Hungary just after WWII. The
basic unit was the pengo, but after a fairly short time larger and
larger denomination banknotes got printed, so that at some time the
B. pengo was introduced (B standing for billion, as in European billion,
or US trillion). The largest banknote ever used there was
100 million B. pengo (or 10^20 pengo), see:
http://bankjegy.szabadsagharcos.org/xxcentury/p136.htm.
Prices doubled at that time in Hungary every 15 hours.
Old March 15th 07, 03:01 PM posted to misc.invest.misc,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money,24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.econ
Frosty

On 14 Mar 2007 12:44:59 -0700 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk
"KnowledgeSeeker" , intended to write
something intelligible, but instead wrote :

Where can I find a list of the countries with the least valuable
currency? I am NOT looking for a place to do foreign exchange trading
to create fabulous wealth. So, please do not spam me. I am working
on a project that is, well... not commercial. So, I am looking for an
easy to use source of data. Thanks.

Unless a currency is tied to some *real* form of money, gold comes to
mind, then it's *worth* is whatever a people accept it to be.

US currency, for example, is worth nothing. We here agree to exchange
it for X amout of goods and services.

To figure the US inflation rate just use gold. The exchange rate of
gold to dollars at the start of the nation was one ounce to $20, or
1dwt-$1.00

Not the answer to your questions, but still might depressing!

Old March 15th 07, 03:33 PM posted to misc.invest.misc,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money,24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.econ
KnowledgeSeeker

On Mar 15, 7:31 am, "Dik T. Winter" wrote:
In article .com "RF" writes:

On Mar 14, 3:48 pm, "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
"KnowledgeSeeker" wrote in message
oups.com...

Where can I find a list of the countries with the least valuable
currency? I am NOT looking for a place to do foreign exchange trading
to create fabulous wealth. So, please do not spam me. I am working
on a project that is, well... not commercial. So, I am looking for an
easy to use source of data. Thanks.

What may be a good list today with almost certainly be no longer a good
list some time from now. When figures go out of the window, countries
have the tendency to revaluate their currency, as was last done in
Turkey (they dropped the last six zeros).

[SNIP]

home: bovenover 215, 1025 jn amsterdam, nederland;http://www.cwi.nl/~dik/

Feel free to answer the original question with information for today.
I will not hold you to your answer after the day that you provide it.

Old March 15th 07, 03:38 PM posted to misc.invest.misc,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money,24hoursupport.helpdesk,sci.econ
KnowledgeSeeker

On Mar 15, 6:57 am, "Mike Easter" wrote:
KnowledgeSeeker wrote:
Jeffrey Zarit
Try:http://www.xe.netwhich can display all currency.

Perfect.

Well. If you only want the 84 most popular currencies.

"top 85 currencies sorted by country name"

I tho't you were trying to get serious about it.

--
Mike Easter

Good point. The 180 would be preferable. But, total time to generate
the list for 84 = 90 seconds versus total time to generate the list
for 180 = 90+ minutes. So, unless somebody else comes up with a way
for me to generate the full 180 list in a couple minutes or so, I will
probably settle for the 84. (Although I may still eventually take a
look at how to do the task (for the full 180) programmatically as I
would like to learn a bit about web programming).

Old March 15th 07, 03:47 PM posted to misc.invest.misc,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money,sci.econ
KnowledgeSeeker

Default Obsolete Currency and Coin (was Least valuable currency)

On Mar 15, 4:25 am, "Sgt.Sausage" wrote:
"KnowledgeSeeker" wrote in message

ups.com...

Where can I find a list of the countries with the least valuable
currency? I am NOT looking for a place to do foreign exchange trading
to create fabulous wealth. So, please do not spam me. I am working
on a project that is, well... not commercial. So, I am looking for an
easy to use source of data. Thanks.

I dunno, but you reminded me of the first time I became
a millionaire. Florence, Italy, 1998 on my honeymoon. Arrived
on the train from Switzerland. We were gonna be in Italy for
the whole week so I needed to dump some dollar denominated traveler's
checks for the local currency (the Lira -- this was pre
Euro).

[SNIP]

Which brings up an interesting question. What happened/happens to the
currency & coin in a country when it converts to the Euro or when
there is a coup (or regime change) or when countries merge or when
countries split into more than one?

Old March 15th 07, 05:06 PM posted to misc.invest.misc,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money,sci.econ
Dik T. Winter

In article . com "KnowledgeSeeker" writes:
Which brings up an interesting question. What happened/happens to the
currency & coin in a country when it converts to the Euro or when
there is a coup (or regime change) or when countries merge or when
countries split into more than one?

Depends. In the Euro countries the old money has gone out of circulation,
in some countries some is worthless by now, other money can still be
redeemed at banks (similar when in a country a banknote change, in some
countries the old banknote will lose its value after a certain time, in
other not). When there is a change of regime old money may or may not be
replaced by new money. When countries split the parts may or may not retain
the use of the old currency. When countries merge, old currency may or may
not retain its value, but I do not know when the last merger did occur.
Old March 15th 07, 05:20 PM posted to misc.invest.misc,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money,sci.econ
Roger Hunt

KnowledgeSeeker wrote

Which brings up an interesting question. What happened/happens to the
currency & coin in a country when it converts to the Euro or when
there is a coup (or regime change) or when countries merge or when
countries split into more than one?

In the UK I understand that superseded banknotes can still be redeemed
on presentation to the Bank of England or possibly a local bank, but I'm
not so sure about pre-decimal currency of any sort. I think the date has
long passed that I might redeem a handful of 1918KN pennies, say, for
decimal money.

I wonder though, is a 1794 US Cent still legal tender in the shops over
there?
--
Roger Hunt
Old March 15th 07, 05:52 PM posted to misc.invest.misc,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money,sci.econ
Michael G. Koerner

Roger Hunt wrote:
KnowledgeSeeker wrote
Which brings up an interesting question. What happened/happens to the
currency & coin in a country when it converts to the Euro or when
there is a coup (or regime change) or when countries merge or when
countries split into more than one?

In the UK I understand that superseded banknotes can still be redeemed
on presentation to the Bank of England or possibly a local bank, but I'm
not so sure about pre-decimal currency of any sort. I think the date has
long passed that I might redeem a handful of 1918KN pennies, say, for
decimal money.

I wonder though, is a 1794 US Cent still legal tender in the shops over
there?

ALL coins produced and legally issued by the USMint remain legal tender at
their face value in the USA.

Yes, that 1794 Cent still retains its 1¢ face value, but I don't know if I'd
leave it in one of those penny trays by the register at the local Kwickimart.

:-p

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old March 15th 07, 06:05 PM posted to misc.invest.misc,rec.collecting.coins,rec.collecting.paper-money,sci.econ
Roger Hunt

Michael G. Koerner wrote

(snip here and there)

I wonder though, is a 1794 US Cent still legal tender in the shops over
there?

ALL coins produced and legally issued by the USMint remain legal tender at
their face value in the USA.
Yes, that 1794 Cent still retains its 1¢ face value, but I don't know if I'd
leave it in one of those penny trays by the register at the local Kwickimart.

It is very very impressive to have that length of continuity in any
currency, and I still loathe this new money we have here.
--
Roger Hunt