Q: HCA - Indonesia

Old November 18th 06, 09:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

Default Q: HCA - Indonesia

When browsing eBay I ran into this item which seems to be a commemorative
HCA-issue. Other than Andersen's unmistakeable portrait the stamp seems to
illustrate the fairy tale "Thumbelina".
http://cjoint.com/data/lsv1F5LGLR.htm

There is no description, except that is a cover and then some words about
scarcity. It is offered for the spicy price of 65 US$! Checking WNS I don't
see it registered for 2005 or 2004 (2005 would be the "natural" year of
issuance), and no stamps are registered for 2006. Does anyone here know
whether this stamp is legit, and possibly also when it was issued? My Scott
covers only up to 2003.

The price as such prevents me from jumping at it, and I am not much for
contacting the seller unless I have a minimum of background info.

Thanks in advance for any help or hints :-)
Mette

Old November 18th 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rob McGuinness

Hi Mette,
I note that the seller also lists a similar sheet for Sean Connery of
James Bond fame and also a similar sheet for Robert de Niro. I suspect
that you could order the sheet with any photo added from the Indonesian
post office for a special fee. We have similar stamps here in Canada.
They are a sort of vanity stamp. You pay your money and you get to see
yourself or someone you want to see on a stamp. I believe a number of
countries have a similar deal. I've seen them from the UK and Australia.
Others probably exist. They are fun, they are stamps, but on the edge
and leaning towards private posts. Now, if you could find one properly
used on a cover--that would be of much greater interest.
Rob

Old November 19th 06, 01:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Default HCA - Indonesia

I agree with Rob, Mette.
they seem to be personalised stamps
using the personal piece as an image of HCA.
The "genuine" piece of the stamp, (a "greetings" stamp)
appears to be the Rose stamp with value.
The question begs, is whether the producer had the approval
to place HCA's image on the sheet.
Tread with caution perhaps.

Here is Australia's format, which is strikingly similar,
I thought I had scanned the page with the acceptable approved images
but at the mo, cannot locate it.
http://cjoint.com/data/ltcZjXe07S.htm

HTH

. ..

Old November 19th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Mette wrote:
When browsing eBay I ran into this item which seems to be a commemorative
HCA-issue. Other than Andersen's unmistakeable portrait the stamp seems to
illustrate the fairy tale "Thumbelina".
http://cjoint.com/data/lsv1F5LGLR.htm

There is no description, except that is a cover and then some words about
scarcity. It is offered for the spicy price of 65 US$! Checking WNS I don't
see it registered for 2005 or 2004 (2005 would be the "natural" year of
issuance), and no stamps are registered for 2006. Does anyone here know
whether this stamp is legit, and possibly also when it was issued? My Scott
covers only up to 2003.

The price as such prevents me from jumping at it, and I am not much for
contacting the seller unless I have a minimum of background info.

Thanks in advance for any help or hints :-)
Mette

Hello Mette:

You have a sheet of 10 (plus 10 personal labels) of
Indonesia - Scott # 1945B issued 21 April 2001

Face value of a sheet of 10 is 9,000 rupiahs
(0.98 USD) (Euro 0.765)
The post office cost of a sheet of 10 is 20,000 rupiahs
(2.18 USD) (Euro 1.70).

Scott catalogue value (per stamp) mint or used is USD 35 cents.
(No price or premium mentioned for a sheet of 10)

I hope that this helps you.
Blair

Old November 19th 06, 07:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Mette

"Blair (TC)" skrev i en meddelelse
ups.com...

- snip -

Hello Mette:

You have a sheet of 10 (plus 10 personal labels) of
Indonesia - Scott # 1945B issued 21 April 2001

Face value of a sheet of 10 is 9,000 rupiahs
(0.98 USD) (Euro 0.765)
The post office cost of a sheet of 10 is 20,000 rupiahs
(2.18 USD) (Euro 1.70).

Scott catalogue value (per stamp) mint or used is USD 35 cents.
(No price or premium mentioned for a sheet of 10)

Sheet of personalized stamps! In spite of a vague suspicion of "something
wrong", this never crossed my mind. Thank you, Rob, Rod and Blair :-) Good
that I asked here first -- better stay out of reach of this one :-)

Mette