A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » Paper Money
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

"Unc.+" ???



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 13th 05, 11:53 AM
note.boy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default "Unc.+" ???

A new grade for me, what does it mean?

I just love sellers that change ebay's colour scheme to some garish
colour. Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...99380 31&rd=1
Ads
  #2  
Old April 13th 05, 01:07 PM
Scottishmoney
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Pressed - maybe, uncirculated - not.



"note.boy" wrote in message
...
A new grade for me, what does it mean?

I just love sellers that change ebay's colour scheme to some garish
colour. Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...99380 31&rd=1



  #3  
Old April 14th 05, 05:52 AM
Ed. Stoebenau
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 10:53:04 GMT, "note.boy"
wrote:

A new grade for me, what does it mean?


Well as unc is a note that looks like one as it left the press,
and unc+ would apparently be better, it must be a note that looks
like it has not yet made it to the press. Must be a blank sheet
of paper.


--
Ed. Stoebenau
a #143
  #4  
Old April 14th 05, 12:44 PM
Thomas Chao
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

We have Gem UNC, Choice UNC, and all the numerals in between such as Choice
UNC 63, Choice UNC 66 etc, so why not UNC+ ???

"note.boy" wrote in message
...
A new grade for me, what does it mean?

I just love sellers that change ebay's colour scheme to some garish
colour. Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...99380 31&rd=1



  #5  
Old April 14th 05, 01:23 PM
note.boy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

If a banknote is uncirculated it's as if it had just come off the
printing press, i.e. perfect, calling a note "unc+" is just plain silly,
or silly hype.

Please don't assign the many unc grades used in the USA for coins to
notes, unc is unc is unc, nothing "better" is required. Billy


Thomas Chao wrote:

We have Gem UNC, Choice UNC, and all the numerals in between such as Choice
UNC 63, Choice UNC 66 etc, so why not UNC+ ???

"note.boy" wrote in message
...
A new grade for me, what does it mean?

I just love sellers that change ebay's colour scheme to some garish
colour. Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...99380 31&rd=1

  #6  
Old April 14th 05, 02:11 PM
Thomas Chao
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I agree. UNC is the only term I use to describe uncirculated notes. But I
see others use such terms as Gem UNC, Choice UNC. Official CGA grading uses
such terms as Choice UNC 63 through Choice UNC 68.


"note.boy" wrote in message
...
If a banknote is uncirculated it's as if it had just come off the
printing press, i.e. perfect, calling a note "unc+" is just plain silly,
or silly hype.

Please don't assign the many unc grades used in the USA for coins to
notes, unc is unc is unc, nothing "better" is required. Billy


Thomas Chao wrote:

We have Gem UNC, Choice UNC, and all the numerals in between such as
Choice
UNC 63, Choice UNC 66 etc, so why not UNC+ ???

"note.boy" wrote in message
...
A new grade for me, what does it mean?

I just love sellers that change ebay's colour scheme to some garish
colour. Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...99380 31&rd=1



  #7  
Old April 14th 05, 03:06 PM
note.boy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I presume that the CGA notes are slabbed, I would rather kiss a plague
carrier than buy a slabbed note. Billy


Thomas Chao wrote:

I agree. UNC is the only term I use to describe uncirculated notes. But I
see others use such terms as Gem UNC, Choice UNC. Official CGA grading uses
such terms as Choice UNC 63 through Choice UNC 68.

"note.boy" wrote in message
...
If a banknote is uncirculated it's as if it had just come off the
printing press, i.e. perfect, calling a note "unc+" is just plain silly,
or silly hype.

Please don't assign the many unc grades used in the USA for coins to
notes, unc is unc is unc, nothing "better" is required. Billy


Thomas Chao wrote:

We have Gem UNC, Choice UNC, and all the numerals in between such as
Choice
UNC 63, Choice UNC 66 etc, so why not UNC+ ???

"note.boy" wrote in message
...
A new grade for me, what does it mean?

I just love sellers that change ebay's colour scheme to some garish
colour. Billy

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...99380 31&rd=1

  #8  
Old April 14th 05, 03:27 PM
RAV
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:23:11 GMT, "note.boy"
wrote:

If a banknote is uncirculated it's as if it had just come off the
printing press, i.e. perfect, calling a note "unc+" is just plain silly,
or silly hype.

Please don't assign the many unc grades used in the USA for coins to
notes, unc is unc is unc, nothing "better" is required. Billy


Being a relative newbie I don't yet understand the different points of
view. What do the people who DO use terms such as "UNC" and "GEM UNC"
believe the difference is between two notes that they classify in
those terms? Would you (Billy) say that what they're calling "GEM
UNC" is really the only true "UNC", and anything less (including what
they call "UNC") is not "UNC"? Thanks.
  #9  
Old April 14th 05, 03:33 PM
Brian Blackwell
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default


"RAV" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:23:11 GMT, "note.boy"
wrote:

If a banknote is uncirculated it's as if it had just come off the
printing press, i.e. perfect, calling a note "unc+" is just plain silly,
or silly hype.

Please don't assign the many unc grades used in the USA for coins to
notes, unc is unc is unc, nothing "better" is required. Billy


Being a relative newbie I don't yet understand the different points of
view. What do the people who DO use terms such as "UNC" and "GEM UNC"
believe the difference is between two notes that they classify in
those terms? Would you (Billy) say that what they're calling "GEM
UNC" is really the only true "UNC", and anything less (including what
they call "UNC") is not "UNC"? Thanks.


From what I've observed, the qualifiers seem to indicate centering. If the
note is UNC and off-centered to one side or the other then it's called UNC.
If the note has even margins all around then it's called GEM UNC. YMMV

Brian


  #10  
Old April 14th 05, 03:50 PM
note.boy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

A note is either unc or it's not.

A note that's not centred properly is an error note and being an error
makes no difference to the note's grade.

I would avoid buying from anyone that is offering a note graded higher
than unc as unc is perfect, how can a note be better than perfect?

If the guys that print the notes can't print correctly centred notes
they should be sacked.

A Scottish note with a centreing error would be regarded as a rare
error.

It would appear that in the USA a properly centred note is regarded as
some kind of exception. Billy


Brian Blackwell wrote:

"RAV" wrote in message
news:[email protected] eranews...
On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 12:23:11 GMT, "note.boy"
wrote:

If a banknote is uncirculated it's as if it had just come off the
printing press, i.e. perfect, calling a note "unc+" is just plain silly,
or silly hype.

Please don't assign the many unc grades used in the USA for coins to
notes, unc is unc is unc, nothing "better" is required. Billy


Being a relative newbie I don't yet understand the different points of
view. What do the people who DO use terms such as "UNC" and "GEM UNC"
believe the difference is between two notes that they classify in
those terms? Would you (Billy) say that what they're calling "GEM
UNC" is really the only true "UNC", and anything less (including what
they call "UNC") is not "UNC"? Thanks.


From what I've observed, the qualifiers seem to indicate centering. If the
note is UNC and off-centered to one side or the other then it's called UNC.
If the note has even margins all around then it's called GEM UNC. YMMV

Brian

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 CollectingBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.