Antarctica Note Question (Currency Board Newbie)

Old November 29th 04, 07:10 PM
Shystev99

Default Antarctica Note Question (Currency Board Newbie)

Hi all,
I am a coin collector but Am just starting to get into Currency collecting as
well. My main interest is international and foreign notes just because they are
alot more colorful and different looking than our U.S. Currency.
One type of note that caught my eye is the "Anarctica" Sets. I see what look
like 2 different Anarctica Sets, First set I like is the "Anarctica Dream
Dollar" Set which is created by a speciffic artist and supposedly are hand
painted and hand stamped from what I've read so far. The second set I see is a
set of Anarctica notes with various animals on them like Penguins and birds.
My main question is, Are these 2 different sets of notes or are all of these
considered 1 complete set, Just different styles?
Also being a newbie I have to ask, Are these notes real and a good place for a
newbie to start in the currency collecting world? Or are they more like some of
the spoof money that is out there?
Thanks for any advice or help.

P.S.
I typed up a slightly longer version of this same basic question last night
(Sunday Night) and posted it to the group then, But for some reason it hasn't
actually posted yet, So I apologize if this question is a repeat or if this
topic has come up before.
Steve
Old November 29th 04, 08:16 PM
CrispUNC

Antarctica notes are souvenir money and are not legal tender - even in
Antarctica.

See the International Banknote Society's website for a good article on these
notes.

Agree they're a colourful addition to any collection but they're not for the
serious investor in paper money
Old November 29th 04, 08:52 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Shystev99 wrote:

Also being a newbie I have to ask, Are these notes real and a good place
for a newbie to start in the currency collecting world? Or are they more
like some of the spoof money that is out there?

Don't actually collect paper money but those "Antarctica notes" are a
fundraising project rather than actual money. More about it is he

http://www.bankofantarctica.com/

I typed up a slightly longer version of this same basic question last night
(Sunday Night) and posted it to the group then, But for some reason it hasn't
actually posted yet, So I apologize if this question is a repeat or if this
topic has come up before.

No problem. In case you are referring to your message "New to Board
(Anarctica Notes Question)" posted about 12 hrs ago, that did show up
here :-)

Christian
Old November 30th 04, 10:03 AM
FBNeNotes

What I know :-) about the first issue 1996

Antarctica 1 Dollar 1996.1.3
the pfx A is known as series A
Part of an issue to raise funds for Antarctican research and humanitarian
projects. Printed by BABN, total notes of series A sold were only 9,932 the
plates were destroyed in 2001.s/n is on back of Note. Face- Antarctic
fjord-Peterman Island with Penguins sunning. This Note is elusive, although you
will find some offered in auctions, remember this is the 1996 Note series A,
first issue first release. Back-
Diving Adelie Penguins leaping on Paulet Island

World PaperMoney Auctions
http://stores.bidville.com/FBNeNotes
Thanks,
Donald ... IBNS, LANSA & ANA Member
Old December 1st 04, 04:24 PM
Banknote Addict

(Shystev99) wrote in
:

[...]

Hi,
The "Dream Dollars" are not affilliated with the Antarctica notes with
the birds and animals issued by the Antarctica Overseas Exchange Office.
I like the ones issued by the AOEO myself, but that's just my opinion. I
actually used to sell quite a few of them on Ebay. The big difference
between the 2 types is that the AOEO ones are used to raise funds for
environmental projects in the Antarctic region. The are also "kinda
like" legal tender because the AOEO will exchange them for US dollars on
a 1:1 basis on demand. It says so right on the note. They do expire
though so they're not convertable forever. There will never be an
"official" currency in Antarctica because by treaty Antarctica can't
have a government or be owned by anyone, thus no currency board to issue
notes. Funny story - I once sold a bunch of Antarctica notes on Ebay to
a guy who was bidding from one of the bases in Antarctica! I forget
which one but I think it was Scott base. Back around 1999. His wife in
the states paid me and I sent the notes to an APO box. So I can tell you
for sure that there really are some of these notes down there.
Old December 1st 04, 06:50 PM
Shystev99

[...]

I like both styles, They are both beautiful and colorful....Atleast from the
internet pics I've seen of each. I think I do like the animal ones just a
little better, Just because they seem so different than just regular money
designs.
I e-mailed a few other people after I posted the question here and one of the
people who e-mailed me back was the actual artist of the "Dream Dollar" Notes.
And that they were not legal tender. Still neat looking though. Still debating
if I want to buy them or not.
Even though they are not legal tender they still would look beautiful in
somekind of international note collection or album.

Thanks again for your reply,
Steve