A Philatelic Debate

Old February 24th 04, 06:18 AM
Bob Ingraham

Default A Philatelic Debate

This coming Wednesday, February 25, a philatelic debate is planned for the
regular meeting of the British Columbia Philatelic Society. Any readers of
this newsgroup are welcome to attend if they are in the Vancouver area. See
our web site (address in signature) for meeting details.

The "debate" will really be more of a roundtable discussion. Anyone
attending will be free to offer an opinion. One member has volunteered to be
a moderator.

I wondered if members of r.c.s.d. would like to join the discussion here in
the newsgroup. Here are the wildly controversial statements that will be
presented for debate:

=========

Debatable Statement 1: In order to interest more people in collecting,
postal administrations should issue more stamps in a greater variety of
formats. It would be a good idea to issue at least 10 different stamps for
each commemorative topic or pictorial topic, instead of just one or two.

Debatable Statement 2: Stamp collectors should stop collecting gum. Dealers
should not charge premiums for unhinged stamps, and there should be no
difference in price between mint and unused stamps.

Debatable Statement 3: Mint stamps are nothing more than pretty labels. For
a stamp to be collectible, it should be used, and the best way to collect
used stamps is on cover.

Debatable Statement 4: The internet is the best thing ever to happen to
stamp collecting. Stamp shops should close their doors and start selling
only on the internet. It's the wave of the future.

Debatable Statement 5: Kids aren't interested in stamps. So what? Stamp
collecting is an adult hobby.

Debatable Statement 6: Cancelled to Order stamps (CTO's) are stamps too, and
don't deserve their bad reputation.

Debatable Statement 7: Postage stamp catalogues should be for postage stamps
only, not revenue stamps, duck stamps or other hunting permit stamps, or any
other stamp not intended for postal use.

Debatable Statement 8: Collectors should ignore catalogue values because
they are arbitrary and they reflect nothing at all. Why else do dealers
almost universally sell stamps at varying fractions of catalogue values.
Catalogues should reflect not prices of stamps, but rarity factors.

Debatable Statement 9: The criteria for displaying in a stamp show are too
strict. Why should judges get to decide beforehand what is included in an
exhibit? If standards were relaxed, a great many more collectors would
exhibit, and the hobby of stamp collecting would benefit.

Old February 24th 04, 06:21 AM
Bob Ingraham

Oops! Forgot to add the signature line for the B.C. Phil to my "Philatelic
Debate" post. I hope that one or two of you might be able to attend.

Bob

-------
Keep up to date at the B.C. Philatelic Society web site:
http://www.bcphilatelic.org.
-------

Old February 24th 04, 02:28 PM
Tracy Barber

Interesting topics and may take hours to slog through! Might be fun
to filibuster / lobby / protest during said debate(s)! :^P

Old February 24th 04, 05:49 PM
Bob Ingraham

2/24/2004 6:28 AM

Interesting topics and may take hours to slog through!

I hope so. I'd like to stretch it to at least one more meeting. I'm program
chairman, so any help I can get is appreciated. We have weekly meetings
except in July and August, so it's important to keep things lively.

Might be fun
to filibuster / lobby / protest during said debate(s)! :^P

Tracy, I wish you could attend!

Bob

Old February 24th 04, 07:29 PM
Tracy Barber

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 17:49:11 GMT, Bob Ingraham
wrote:

Interesting topics and may take hours to slog through!

I hope so. I'd like to stretch it to at least one more meeting.
I'm program chairman, so any help I can get is appreciated. We
have weekly meetings except in July and August, so it's important
to keep things lively.

The topics sound like they'll need more than 1 meeting. If the group
is to dig into each of them thoroughly, then breaking them down into
manageable amounts for specific time frames might be best. Kind of
like presidential debates, but may be a bit more civilized. :^)

Might be fun
to filibuster / lobby / protest during said debate(s)! :^P

Tracy, I wish you could attend!

hehe... My friend Margo has moved back to Wisconsin from Seattle, so
that couldn't happen! I was tempted to go see her out there, but she
had to move back.

Actually, I do have a cousin that lives up there and is into real
estate. Been a long time since I've seen / talked to him though...

Knowing me, I'd skip up to Alaska for a year and finds some bears to
hibernate with. :^)

Tracy Barber
Old February 24th 04, 07:37 PM
A.E. Gelat

Bob, do you realize that you may have started an interminable string.?
Before I add my comments, I would like to suggest that interested persons
print the email, and then make their comments by number. This will reduce
the size of the responses considerably.
"Bob Ingraham" wrote in message
[...]

That is what is killing the hobby - too many stamps. I don't think we need
more.

Debatable Statement 2: Stamp collectors should stop collecting gum.

Dealers
should not charge premiums for unhinged stamps, and there should be no
difference in price between mint and unused stamps.

No comment on gum, but the price of mint vs. used will always be different.
Some commemoratives are readily available mint, but are rare used. Also
a $2 stamp (the current USA high value) is always wirth at least $2, but
used is worth perhaps 25 cents.

Debatable Statement 3: Mint stamps are nothing more than pretty labels.

For
a stamp to be collectible, it should be used, and the best way to collect
used stamps is on cover.

That is a matter of personal preference. If the interest is wide, storing
or
displaying the covers becomes very tedious and voluminous.

Debatable Statement 4: The internet is the best thing ever to happen to
stamp collecting. Stamp shops should close their doors and start selling
only on the internet. It's the wave of the future.

Perhaps, but not until the vast majority of persons have access to the
Internet. However, one cannot really see what they are buying; a visit to
a daler is much better.

Debatable Statement 5: Kids aren't interested in stamps. So what? Stamp
collecting is an adult hobby.

Stamp collecting by kid is a very enriching experience. One can learn
geography, history, etc
..

Debatable Statement 6: Cancelled to Order stamps (CTO's) are stamps too,

and
don't deserve their bad reputation.

Again, this is a matter of preference.

Debatable Statement 7: Postage stamp catalogues should be for postage

stamps
only, not revenue stamps, duck stamps or other hunting permit stamps, or

any
other stamp not intended for postal use.

A catalogue labelted POSTAGE stamp catalogue should stick to that.

Debatable Statement 8: Collectors should ignore catalogue values because
they are arbitrary and they reflect nothing at all. Why else do dealers
almost universally sell stamps at varying fractions of catalogue values.
Catalogues should reflect not prices of stamps, but rarity factors.

How do you show a rarity factor for a current used 37 c stamp and the
British
Guyana 4 c?

Debatable Statement 9: The criteria for displaying in a stamp show are too
strict. Why should judges get to decide beforehand what is included in an
exhibit? If standards were relaxed, a great many more collectors would
exhibit, and the hobby of stamp collecting would benefit.

Some relaxation is desirable.

Tony Gelat

Old February 24th 04, 08:40 PM
Roger

[...]

(snip)

Debatable Statement 2a: Dealers should not charge less for hinged
stamps, and there should be no difference in price between mint and
unused stamps.

Oh dear

Roger
Old February 24th 04, 09:59 PM
Tom Loepp

Okay, here goes,
my humble-unasked-for opinions

Debatable Statement 1: In order to interest more people in collecting,
postal administrations should issue...

Don't know how that would cause more interest. As for different designs for the
same commemoration it seems the PA already does that. Except for in the old
days when one design or style was issued in countless values.
Blanket statement: In collecting older issues, I am irritated by the same image
reappearing and re-issued. It is usually a boring design and adds little to the
enjoyment of collecting (for me).
Unless one specializes in one design and it's varieties.

Debatable Statement 2: Stamp collectors should stop collecting gum. Dealers
should not charge premiums for unhinged stamps, and there should be no
difference in price between mint and unused stamps.

At what point in time did unhinged versus hinged become an issue? When archival
hingless methods of mounting were developed?
point1: I think it reflects demand not a whim of dealers.
point 2: As for esthetic beauty and permanence a gumless copy could very well
be the longest lasting and best looking version of a stamp.
point 3: As far as most stamps go they are fairly worthless in any condition
other than filling a space on an album page.

Debatable Statement 3: Mint stamps are nothing more than pretty labels. For
a stamp to be collectible, it should be used, and the best way to collect
used stamps is on cover.

If all of the above were not collected then the rarity of on cover would be
compromised and the mint would be turned into a rarity and would be high in
demand. I say let them all happen.

Debatable Statement 4: The internet is the best thing ever to happen to
stamp collecting. Stamp shops should...

Doesn't seem to be the case.

Debatable Statement 5: Kids aren't interested in stamps. So what? Stamp
collecting is an adult hobby.

Doesn't seem to be the case. Kids can and should be interested in many things
and not settle on just one thing as in stamps. Every generation will have their
own fads.

Debatable Statement 6: Cancelled to Order stamps (CTO's)...

See point 3 of statement 2, just another form of the same worthless stamps.

Debatable Statement 7: Postage stamp catalogues should be for postage stamps
only, not revenue stamps...

huh? who cares?

Debatable Statement 8: Collectors should ignore catalogue values because
they are arbitrary and they reflect nothing at all. Why else do dealers
almost universally sell stamps at varying fractions of catalogue values.
Catalogues should reflect not prices of stamps, but rarity factors.

Arbitrary? for that matter isn't everything? There are essentially rarity
factors combined with demand factors combined with bulk sales combined with
fractions of retail. Take away one of the factors and you have only part of the
story or something definitely arbitrary.
Aren't these to some degree arbitrary?: Original art is one of kind, sells at a
price based on demand (but can go up rapidly), has catalogue prices from
auction or previous sale, and isn't usually discounted (maybe from a high
asking price). Original prints have a catalogue value based on demand, sales
and auctions, are printed in editions, and can sell at a discount. Stamps are
catalogued, printed in huge editions, and based on demand or lack there of can
sell at huge discounts. The more there is of something the easier it is to give
a ceiling price to it because there are more instances of sale. What is more
easy to follow than something that is printed in specific editions, has records
of sales, is thoroughly combed over by incredibly patient bespectacled kooks
(not me), and is sold just about every second over the entire world.
I would rather have a rarity rating but how does that translate into a value,
arbitrarily? A catalogue value can go anywhere from twenty cents to a million
dollars. Can a rarity rating have that much nuance? How do you determine
demand? "My stamps sold so I should have charged more!" You put a price on them
and sell them for that or you reduce them a percentage until they sell or
auction them to the highest bidder. simple.
Vatican stamps at one time had a huge value based almost entirely on demand.
With that demand stripped away now there is very little rarity. Get it? No
demand, no rarity.
What is the value of time? In stamp collecting it's zero. Why is there no
premium put on the endless hours it takes to put together a nice collection and
album? Because no one gives a cr*p about how much time was spent. All they want
to know is how much the stamps are worth.

Debatable Statement 9: The criteria for displaying in a stamp show are too
strict.

No experience with this one.

-- Tom Loepp
Email:
Website:
http://loepp.home.mindspring.com/tom/

Old February 25th 04, 04:25 PM
Tom Loepp

Well, that was a relatively easy debate to win. He did that with one arm behind
his back but since this guy thinks he's so smart I will take him on myself. I
have been doing the courtroom art in a major murder case that will involve the
death penalty. It is interesting to listen to the debate and inspires me to cross
swords. Too bad there is no heart here for debate in this wimpy ng.

Tom Loepp wrote:

Okay,

snip

Debatable Statement 2: Stamp collectors should stop collecting gum. Dealers
should not charge premiums for unhinged stamps, and there should be no
difference in price between mint and unused stamps.

At what point in time did unhinged versus hinged become an issue? When archival
hingless methods of mounting were developed?
point1: I think it reflects demand not a whim of dealers.
point 2: As for esthetic beauty and permanence a gumless copy could very well
be the longest lasting and best looking version of a stamp.
point 3: As far as most stamps go they are fairly worthless in any condition
other than filling a space on an album page.

Tom Loepp, you pompous windbag, if there was no difference between no gum, hinged,
and mint then there would be no need for fraudulent regumming of stamps. Stamps
could be hinged in albums making the hobby more inexpensive for beginners. In the
long run it would be beneficial for the hobby. Still, the stamps that have
original gum could stand as proof that a cancel wasn't chemically removed. Stamps
are not worthless. As mint they have at the very least their face value and then
there are the expensive albums and mountings. Used whether on cover or off are
more rare than one might think considering that most businesses and people throw
out the envelopes and few commemoratives are used in the first place.

Debatable Statement 5: Kids aren't interested in stamps. So what? Stamp
collecting is an adult hobby.

Doesn't seem to be the case. Kids can and should be interested in many things
and not settle on just one thing as in stamps.snip

The best way to get a kid interested in stamps is to introduce them to it and give
them something that they will value. The Postal Administration has and could
produce more stamps that have subjects that would interest kids in limited
editions that would hold their value. Kits could be sold by Post Offices that have
all the basic tools for collecting. The kits could be specific to different years,
redesigned with specific topical formats. There could be tie-ins to video games
and electronics. These kits and items could be carried by stamp stores also. It
could be bigger than Microsoft and Nintendo combined!

Debatable Statement 6: Cancelled to Order stamps (CTO's)...

See point 3 of statement 2, just another form of the same worthless stamps.

The production of any form of a stamp whether it be mint, used, or CTO has an
effect on the numbers of the other forms. CTO has it's place in the equation and
should be considered as part of the history. Nothing is worthless, you
blanket-statement-making windbag!

Debatable Statement 7: Postage stamp catalogues should be for postage stamps
only, not revenue stamps...

huh? who cares?

Who cares? Obviously not you, you insensitive cretan! Less information could be
more specialized information on postal history instead of vague arbitrary
mentioning of everything that weirdo goof balls may collect.

Debatable Statement 8: Collectors should ignore catalogue values because
they are arbitrary and they reflect nothing at all. Why else do dealers
almost universally sell stamps at varying fractions of catalogue values.
Catalogues should reflect not prices of stamps, but rarity factors.

Arbitrary? for BIG SNIP much the stamps are worth.

How in the world could anyone track the sale price of hundreds of thousands of
stamps. How many "rare" stamps do you have fistfuls of and relatively inexpensive
stamps you have never even seen one of. Go through the catalogue and make some
comparisons. There are obviously some very big discrepancies. Look at some of the
empty places in your albums and then call up the stamp store and ask if they have
any of the series that are somewhat affordable. You will have a harder time than
you might think to fill some cheap spaces whereas some expensive items will be
easy to come by. Stamps should be listed according to rarity of used and unused
and then see where the demand takes it.

-- TL

Old February 25th 04, 10:07 PM
Tracy Barber

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:25:02 GMT, Tom Loepp
wrote:

Well, that was a relatively easy debate to win. He did that with one arm behind
his back but since this guy thinks he's so smart I will take him on myself. I
have been doing the courtroom art in a major murder case that will involve the
death penalty. It is interesting to listen to the debate and inspires me to cross
swords. Too bad there is no heart here for debate in this wimpy ng.

Grrrrr.... wimpy burger, wimpy burger!

Tom Loepp wrote:

Okay,

snip

Appropriate... :^P

[...]

Gum is overrated. Period. Yes, there are different gummings on some
stamps and for all intents and purposes, that may be the only
difference.

Gum causes TOO MANY DEBATES! :^P

Many people, who aren't even experts, can usually spot cancels
removed. Give 'em a decent loupe / 'scope and turn 'em loose.

Gum is overrated. Period.

Debatable Statement 5: Kids aren't interested in stamps. So what? Stamp
collecting is an adult hobby.

Doesn't seem to be the case. Kids can and should be interested in many things
and not settle on just one thing as in stamps.snip

The best way to get a kid interested in stamps is to introduce them to it and give
them something that they will value. The Postal Administration has and could
produce more stamps that have subjects that would interest kids in limited
editions that would hold their value. Kits could be sold by Post Offices that have
all the basic tools for collecting. The kits could be specific to different years,
redesigned with specific topical formats. There could be tie-ins to video games
and electronics. These kits and items could be carried by stamp stores also. It
could be bigger than Microsoft and Nintendo combined!

Let's also have USPS selling skateboards, scooters, and plenty more
stuffed toys than they are.

USPS is for MOVING MAIL. It is NOT a social club, nor should it be.
It's upposed to cater to the mail, but seems to cater to the whims of
deep pocket or special interest lobbyists to get their stamp(s)
printed.

USPS should print less stamps, but more appropriate stamps - like they
used to do before the "fad" became the standard.

Debatable Statement 6: Cancelled to Order stamps (CTO's)...

See point 3 of statement 2, just another form of the same worthless stamps.

The production of any form of a stamp whether it be mint, used, or CTO has an
effect on the numbers of the other forms. CTO has it's place in the equation and
should be considered as part of the history. Nothing is worthless, you
blanket-statement-making windbag!

CTOs are remainders, or at least should be. This was the original
intent of the offereings. Once the stamp was removed from sale, for
whatever reason, the stamps were marked and then sold at a discount.

What seems to happen now, is that CTOs are printed alongside mint,
unused stamps and that is a b_st__d_za_ion of the CTO process.

I am happy to have some older North Borneo, Labuam, Liberia and
Spanish remainders in my collection.

Debatable Statement 7: Postage stamp catalogues should be for postage stamps
only, not revenue stamps...

huh? who cares?

Who cares? Obviously not you, you insensitive cretan! Less information could be
more specialized information on postal history instead of vague arbitrary
mentioning of everything that weirdo goof balls may collect.

Now, now, stop beating yourself up. Very FEW postal catalogs include
revenue stamps. In fact, the ONLY big one that does is Scott - US
specialized. The rest of the world is pretty much split up by many
authors.

[...]

Hmmm... interesting... The closest catalog to market sales is Michel,
for European stamps. Scott seems to follow the pack, or not upgrade /
equify stamp values.

Methinks there's a BIG WW trend in computer sales of stamps and the
amounts are still somewhat ignored. They use auction houses, stamp
dealers of the brick and mortar type and don't use internet prices in
the grand scheme.

Eventually, someone HAS to bit the bullet, take the bull by the horns,
and invest a little more than rhetoric speak to get prices up to where
they "should be". Or down, for that matter.

BTW, Tom, stop whimpering! :^P

-- TL

TLB

Tracy Barber

FS: Philatelic CD's PC Elias Worldwide Stamps 0 September 2nd 04 06:05 AM
Philatelic CD's PC Elias US Stamps 0 September 2nd 04 06:05 AM
**** Robert de Violini Passed Away **** Victor Manta General Discussion 6 February 2nd 04 07:22 PM
Stamp & Philatelic CD's Available PC Elias Worldwide Stamps 0 September 17th 03 06:59 PM
British Columbia Philatelic Society meeting Bob Ingraham General Discussion 0 September 3rd 03 05:24 PM