Deck not automatically changing tracks?

Old October 27th 05, 08:16 AM
Cartrivision1

Default Deck not automatically changing tracks?

Hello, I purchased from the thrifts a nice Superscope model TDR-820.
It seemed like it had been well cared for and even had the original
user manual. After cleaning it up and incorporating it with my system
I noticed that it is not automatically changing tracks. It will
manually change tracks, but does not seem to be doing it automatically.

It has a button for "repeat or endless", but in either position the
tracks do not seem to change automatically. Is there anything that I
can do on my end to try and get this working correctly? It sure is a
nice looking piece and it sounds fantastic.

thanks,
CTV

Old October 27th 05, 08:55 AM
Andy

make sure the sensor for the track change foil is clean and not full of crap
ie flaked oxide ect.

ps.com...

Old October 27th 05, 09:52 AM
Cartrivision1

Yeah, it is doing it with both tapes that I have tested so I doubt that
it is the tape itself. I might try recording a new shrinkwrapped tape
and see if it will change tracks in recording mode, but I don't really
see how that would make a difference?

Old October 27th 05, 03:43 PM
66fourdoor

perhaps the repeat button is stuck in repeat mode

OR

there's a wire off your auto track switch sensor

OR

the sensor is dirty

OR

track switching solenoid is faulty/defective wiring

it can be a multitude of things.

make sure the tape you are using, has a good foil splice first

it may also be your pads in the tape- if they are shot, it won't keep
the tape in contact with traack switch sensor

Old October 27th 05, 04:59 PM
DeserTBoB

On 27 Oct 2005 01:52:41 -0700, "Cartrivision1"
wrote:

Yeah, it is doing it with both tapes that I have tested so I doubt that
it is the tape itself. I might try recording a new shrinkwrapped tape
and see if it will change tracks in recording mode, but I don't really
see how that would make a difference? snip

It won't. I suspect a broken wire at the 'one/all' switch.
Alternatively, there may be a lot of crap built up on the contact
block...hopefully, you DID clean your head, block and capstan before
playing anything, as well as replace all your foam pads with WinGib°
replacements. Obviously the solenoid and associated circuit is good,
else the manual button wouldn't work.

These are nice decks, although the 830 has the luxury of Dolby 'B'.
However, the 820's as good as any of the others out there.
Old October 27th 05, 05:00 PM
DeserTBoB

wrote:

Yeah, it is doing it with both tapes that I have tested so I doubt that
it is the tape itself. I might try recording a new shrinkwrapped tape
and see if it will change tracks in recording mode, but I don't really
see how that would make a difference? snip

Oh yes...one last word of advice. Killfile Charlie Nudo, aka
66fourdoor and others. This idiot knows nothing about electronics and
is a confirmed petty thief.
Old October 27th 05, 08:08 PM
Cartrivision1

Hi, maybe I will crack it open and check for any loose leads. The tape
patch was pretty clean previously to cleaning so I doubt it is related
to any kind of buildup. I will let you know what I find.

Thanks for the info. You always seem to be a good source of info
regarding 8-tracks and stereo in general.

CTV

Old October 27th 05, 08:13 PM
Cartrivision1

Oops, I meant "tape path" not tape patch. There might be a joke in
there somewhere but I am not sure!

Old October 28th 05, 08:08 AM
Andy

it wont but it dont hurt to try maby the wire for the change track sensor is
broken you could check that

oups.com...

Old October 29th 05, 08:08 AM
Cartrivision1

I cleaned the track change sensor and also checked for any loose leads.
Everything "under the hood" looks fine as far as I can tell so I am
stumped as to why it is not changing tracks. I will not likely be
doing much if any recording with the deck so it should not totally
render the deck useless, but I still would like to have it working.

CTV