Us Mint Weight Tolerance

Old November 11th 04, 06:07 AM
Jorg Lueke

Default Us Mint Weight Tolerance

From what I remember the US mint had some pretty low weight tolerances for
their coins. I have ome acroos a 1952 quarter that weighs 6.37 grams
which is .12 grams or almost 2% over weight. Can I nsell this as a rare
error for lots of $$ on ebay?

Jorg Lueke ANA 197036, ANS 11206, CSNS, ACCG, TCACC , CWTS

http://www.ancientcoinvalues.com/
Old November 11th 04, 06:32 AM
TomDeLorey

According to the "Specifications of U.S. Coins" chart (which I revised) in the
"Coin World Almanac" (which I helped write), the official weight tolerance for
U.S. silver quarters from 1947 to 1964 was 3.0 grains avoidupois, or approx.
0.194 grams. It had been 1.5 grains from 1873 to 1947 and 1.0 grains before
1873, but they were getting sloppy.
Tom DeLorey
..
Subject: Us Mint Weight Tolerance
From: Jorg Lueke
Date: 11/10/2004 11:07 PM Central Standard Time
From what I remember the US mint had some pretty low weight tolerances for
their coins. I have ome acroos a 1952 quarter that weighs 6.37 grams
which is .12 grams or almost 2% over weight. Can I nsell this as a rare
error for lots of $$ on ebay?

Jorg Lueke ANA 197036, ANS 11206, CSNS, ACCG, TCACC , CWTS

http://www.ancientcoinvalues.com/

TomDeLorey
-
"MADNESS!!! MADNESS!!!"
Final scene from "Bridge Over The River Kwai."
Old November 11th 04, 01:45 PM
Jorg Lueke

Thanks Tom. That is rather sloppy all things considered. You wouldn't
happen to know what the value for a good assay was? How close to 90%
silver did the mint need to get?

.
From: Jorg Lueke
Date: 11/10/2004 11:07 PM Central Standard Time
From what I remember the US mint had some pretty low weight tolerances
for

--
Jorg Lueke ANA 197036, ANS 11206, CSNS, ACCG, TCACC (I try), CWTS

http://www.ancientcoinvalues.com/
Old November 13th 04, 03:46 PM
TomDeLorey

Interesting that they took such pains with the alloy but let the weight
drift. I suppose it must have been easier to control the fineness and
this also let them have more wiggly room with the weight. Although for a
quarter .001 difference would have been the same as a .006 gram differnce
which they obviously weren't very concerned about.

I think they were just trying to allow for the fact that the occasional coins
did come light or heavy, but they were very strict on bulk tolerances. They
weighed finished bags, allowing for the weight of the bag, of course, and if
the entire bag consisted of all light or all heavy coins (if, for example, a
strip had been rolled wrong) they melted it down and started over. Over the
long run, people got fair weight coins.
..

TomDeLorey
-
Old November 13th 04, 10:03 PM
Jorg Lueke

On 13 Nov 2004 14:46:24 GMT, TomDeLorey wrote:

[...]

That does make a lot of sense. As long as the weight variance for an
individual coin is low enough that people don't start weighing and
remelting the coins the individual weight would not be too critical.
Old November 25th 04, 12:10 AM
Coin Saver

From: Jorg Lueke

I have ome acroos a 1952 quarter that weighs 6.37 grams which is .12 grams or

almost 2% over weight.

scrape off the chewing gum

-heh-
JOKE