Seeburg Electra (PFEA1U) Questions

Old September 11th 10, 08:07 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Grimtale

Default Seeburg Electra (PFEA1U) Questions

Thanks for the help before on my reverse switch spark issues, I
replaced the contact switch and all is well.

Few more questions:

1. Across the top this unit has six 5" speakers. Does anyone know the
impedance of these? Also, any good replacement options you guys are
aware of? I looked into getting them reconed but at $40-50 each, it
got expensive quick with six of them to do. Looking for any good
options or suggestions.

2. Looking for opinions on what to lubricate the movement mechanism
part of the player? I'm planning to take it out of the jukebox and
take all the moving parts apart one thing at a time, clean them and
put back together. Thoughts or suggestions?

3. Also, what is the best way to make the unit free-play where no
coins are needed?

Thanks in advance. This group is awesome for sure.
Mark
Old September 12th 10, 01:57 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Rob in NYC[_2_]

On Sep 11, 2:07*pm, Grimtale wrote:
[...]

It's been about 23 years since I have delt with one of these models
but I'll offer what I can here.

Speakers: You can determine their inpedence by simply measuring one
with a DVM. Bear in mind that the results are DC resistance, so a
speaker which is 4 ohm will measure approx 3ohm, an 8 will be 6 and a
16 approx 12ohms DC.
See also how they are wired..are they in series or parallel.

Why do you feel they need replacing? Also check the caps in the
crossover as these often dry up and result in little output.

Lubrication: I use a synthetic motor oil such as Mobil one in a medium
weight such as 10W30. Check the carriage rollers that the mech rolls
on. There are 3 and often they freeze the mech then just slides on
them creating flat spots. If so it is best to replace them.

As for washing the mech, I remove the motor (tag the leads) trip coil
and pop meter assy. Then remove the pickup arm assy. If you are not
familiar with the clutch adjustments and how to align the record rack
with the mech it is probably best to leave them intact...remove the
tormat!!

Washing: I have long used diluted floor stripper such as Zep Pride
(Home Depo now carries it) or similar. I dilute it 50/50 with warm
water in a spray bottle. Use a small paint brush to work stubborn
areas or brush on some stripper full strength there. Rinse thoroughly
with hot water and blow dry with something such as a vacuum cleaner
with crevice tool to concentrate airflow. Compressed air is fine
although the heated air from a vac will help.

After you have done this you will need to relube before putting the
mech under power. This is where I often chew up my hands turning the
gears by hand. Lube it atleast twice before normal use.

Freeplay: For at-home use I simply put a button on the back connected
to the quarter switch. You can disconnect the latch solenoid and
modify the credit unit but this is more complicated since the credit
unit's cancel coil must work to "make" the write-in contacts close.

Rob

Old October 15th 10, 12:00 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Tony Miklos[_2_]

On 9/11/2010 3:07 PM, Grimtale wrote:
[...]

For most of the free world, replacing speakers is a shot in the dark.
Rebuilding them is the way to go.
--
Tony Miklos
Eastern TN, USA

Seeburg Electra (PFEA1U) Sparks when player is traveling... Help Grimtale Juke Boxes 9 August 23rd 10 11:00 AM
FS: Seeburg PFEA1U Discoteque parts or whole cabinet CHEAP J.C. Juke Boxes 0 July 25th 09 12:32 AM
Seeburg pfea1u vinylfanmike Juke Boxes 0 January 28th 09 04:12 AM
Seeburg Electra question...help please Russ Juke Boxes 1 June 20th 05 11:56 AM
Request for documentation & help - Seeburg Electra PFEAIU - 1964-65 "Discothèque" Patrick Juke Boxes 0 May 18th 04 11:53 PM