'51 Seeburg M100-B question

Old November 5th 13, 02:11 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
southpaw

Default '51 Seeburg M100-B question

Juke novice here.
Interested in purchasing a working Seeburg M100-B however seller states it needs an adjustment to track the vinyl correctly. In his words, "The jukebox powers up properly and selects songs. However, I tried to play a few records and the mechanism is not tracking the 45's properly, so this needs to be addressed. The jukebox played properly about 6-7 months ago and sounded decent, but an adjustment has gone out of whack."
Does this sound like a big deal? I'd ideally like to purchase one in perfect working order but this one I came across is in great condition and appears to work correctly except for this flaw. Anyone know what adjustment or fix this could be just by this description? Thanks in advance.
Old November 20th 13, 10:14 PM
Budd Paashaus Budd Paashaus is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southpaw View Post
Juke novice here.
Interested in purchasing a working Seeburg M100-B however seller states it needs an adjustment to track the vinyl correctly. In his words, "The jukebox powers up properly and selects songs. However, I tried to play a few records and the mechanism is not tracking the 45's properly, so this needs to be addressed. The jukebox played properly about 6-7 months ago and sounded decent, but an adjustment has gone out of whack."
Does this sound like a big deal? I'd ideally like to purchase one in perfect working order but this one I came across is in great condition and appears to work correctly except for this flaw. Anyone know what adjustment or fix this could be just by this description? Thanks in advance.
"Not tracking properly could mean a multitude of things: Too light tracking force on the arm (easy fix), binding arm on bearing, something in the mechanism interfering with movement, problem with the cartridge mounting, it could be so many things. Did you get a chance to hear what it does (or doesn't do)? If it repeats (gets stuck) it sounds like a tracking problem....if it won't play at all or the arm skids right across the record, it could be something more serious. If you have access to it, try moving the arm (with the juke off) from the armrest to where the label of the record would be. There should be no resistance or binding. If that's OK, you might have some other mechanical or tracking problem. Sorry, kind of hard to track this down by remote control.
Old November 21st 13, 08:59 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

These mechanism adjustments do not 'go out of whack" --that is the sort of statement an idiot makes.

In all likelihood this machine has never been restored and probably hasn't been oiled in decades.

Before getting involved you should assess you own abilities with regard to repairing electronics along with thoroughly cleaning, lubing and possibly repairing the mechanism and other parts of the machine.

While this problem described may be as simple as a broken needle, dry bearings in the tonearm assembly or missing pressure springs, you are dealing with a 63 year old piece of electro-mechanical equipment.

---If it is not properly restored it will eventually destroy itself electronically and the repairs will be much more expensive.--

Inquire about the following:

1) Have the amp and selection receiver (control unit) been rebuilt with all capacitors replaced? If so, then when? Work done 30 years ago may need to be redone or at least properly checked by someone competent -not a "screwdriver monkey".

2) I'd ask for pictures of the insides especially with the chassis cover plate (on lower back) removed. This will allow you to get an idea of what work has been done...If any.

3) If you do buy the machine get a service manual:

http://www.alwaysjukin.com/items/ser...nuals/list.htm

Or

http://2nd-sight.com/victoryglass/ManualsFrame.htm

Rebuilding amps and selection receivers yourself can cost well-under a $100 for parts. Doing a full restoration will run multiples of that and more if you have a professional tech handle the electronics and/or mech.

I do all this work myself as I also operate machines so I can't help with actual prices for others services.

I suggest joining these free sites:

http://www.phonoland.com/viewforum.p...78c3d404 5989

Good luck..
Rob/NYC
Old November 22nd 13, 02:03 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Old November 22nd 13, 02:09 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 6:11:28 AM UTC-8, southpaw wrote:
Juke novice here.

Interested in purchasing a working Seeburg M100-B however seller states it needs an adjustment to track the vinyl correctly. In his words, "The jukebox powers up properly and selects songs. However, I tried to play a few records and the mechanism is not tracking the 45's properly, so this needs to be addressed. The jukebox played properly about 6-7 months ago and sounded decent, but an adjustment has gone out of whack."

Does this sound like a big deal? I'd ideally like to purchase one in perfect working order but this one I came across is in great condition and appears to work correctly except for this flaw. Anyone know what adjustment or fix this could be just by this description? Thanks in advance.

I have to apologize for my fellow jukebox collector.... calling strangers idiots, seems to be a new hater phenomenon brought on by the racist "I'm better, than you" type....

Many of the fogies on these lists have this "problem".

It's clear you don't have the expertise to rebuild a complicated mechanism, but there are manuals which take you thru the procedure.

Don't figure it's EZ or simply & find a great Jukebox mechanic BEFORE you purchase this "fixer".

Knowing where you're located could really help & GOOD LUCK !!
Old November 23rd 13, 07:35 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

Ah, "Pat" there is no need to apologize on my behalf -nor am I anywhere near "fogeyhood". You might want to apologize for your own poor reading comprehension.

My "idiot" remark was not aimed at the original questioner, but at the character trying to sell him a machine.

I've bought over 70 machines, have 19 on location, nine of which are vintage Seeburgs in retro restaurants. I operate a total of 124 wallboxes the bulk of which are Seeburg 3WA series.

When a seller plays dumb they probably are dumb. But they are also likely trying to deflect any blame if one buys a machine that "just happens" to have serious and costly defects they didn't tell you about.

Any machine older than about 25 years especially tube amplified models MUST be properly rebuilt --even if they appear to operate perfectly when you test them---.

Rob/NYC

Old November 26th 13, 08:08 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

On Friday, November 22, 2013 11:35:40 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Ah, "Pat" there is no need to apologize on my behalf -nor am I anywhere near "fogeyhood". You might want to apologize for your own poor reading comprehension.

My "idiot" remark was not aimed at the original questioner, but at the character trying to sell him a machine.

I've bought over 70 machines, have 19 on location, nine of which are vintage Seeburgs in retro restaurants. I operate a total of 124 wallboxes the bulk of which are Seeburg 3WA series.

When a seller plays dumb they probably are dumb. But they are also likely trying to deflect any blame if one buys a machine that "just happens" to have serious and costly defects they didn't tell you about.

Any machine older than about 25 years especially tube amplified models MUST be properly rebuilt --even if they appear to operate perfectly when you test them---.

Rob/NYC

The reading "comprehension "problem" where you're a "man", who needs to call strangers names ??

NO ! I got you, little "man" & your braggadocio is childish & a clear sign, you've got a personality problem.... when you call stranger names...

Of course, you attribute dishonesty, because YOU NEED THE EGO BOOST...

LMAOROTFU~ !
Old November 26th 13, 08:18 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

On Tuesday, November 5, 2013 6:11:28 AM UTC-8, southpaw wrote:
Juke novice here.

Interested in purchasing a working Seeburg M100-B however seller states it needs an adjustment to track the vinyl correctly. In his words, "The jukebox powers up properly and selects songs. However, I tried to play a few records and the mechanism is not tracking the 45's properly, so this needs to be addressed. The jukebox played properly about 6-7 months ago and sounded decent, but an adjustment has gone out of whack."

Does this sound like a big deal? I'd ideally like to purchase one in perfect working order but this one I came across is in great condition and appears to work correctly except for this flaw. Anyone know what adjustment or fix this could be just by this description? Thanks in advance.

Dare I say, what you "operate" has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with this Seeburg B question and EVERYTHING to do with you ???

Poor little "man", the world revolves around you & you've been VERY USELESS !

If we need someone to judge people harshly, WE HAVE YOUR NUMBER...

Don't call us.

Southpaw-

Get a repair person to take a look & check on the web at Seeburg B values & other jukes to determine if this is your final / vinyl choice. Nothing is an EZ fix on a 60 year old machine & it either has had an amp / mech rebuild or is overdue.

The cosmetics are nice, but this juke has plentiful parts sources & little going in the way of scarcity.

GOOD LUCK & WELCOME TO OUR WORLD !!

Old November 27th 13, 07:29 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

It's too bad that unmoderated forums always seem to attract a-holes who think it is their role to play "cop on the beat".

To the original poster; I hope you'll join one of the lists I mentioned. You'll find more real help and not have to deal with character link "Pat".

Rob

Old November 27th 13, 03:13 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
[email protected]

On Tuesday, November 26, 2013 11:29:05 PM UTC-8, wrote:
It's too bad that unmoderated forums always seem to attract a-holes who think it is their role to play "cop on the beat".

To the original poster; I hope you'll join one of the lists I mentioned. You'll find more real help and not have to deal with character link "Pat".

Rob

As I said, there's old fogies, who call names, like children.

PS- GFY !