Red Book and Anthony Dollar oddity?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 21st 04, 04:42 AM
M. Scott Reynolds

Default Red Book and Anthony Dollar oddity?

On page 199 of the 58th "Official Red Book", it has 3 pictures showing
the date of the 1979 S Type I, 1979 S Type II, and 1981 S Type II, and
the difference between the S mint mark. What is odd is that I've never
seen an SBA dollar with the date in the position in these pictures. The
pictures show the date off to the lower right above the shoulder with
the S mint mark right below the date, instead of the date at the bottom
right above the rim, and the mint mark above the left shoulder, like all
SBAs I've seen. Is there a version of the SBA that fits this
description? Or are they using pictures of another coin to show their
point, and if so, what coin is it (The only 1979 coins I've seen with
the date in that position is the Lincoln cent, but it's the wrong color!).

Anyone know what's going on here?

Scott R.