Scamming the Scammers..........Conclusion!

Old May 16th 04, 08:16 PM
Gary Loveless

Default Scamming the Scammers..........Conclusion!

http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/33088

Here ya go, Ladies and Gents, Enjoy!

Regards,

Gary Loveless

Old May 17th 04, 03:38 AM
Coin Saver

From: Gary Loveless

http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/33088

Call me dense ... but I dont get it ...

8-|
- Coin Saver

Old May 17th 04, 09:23 PM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
(Tom DeLorey) wrote:

I don't get it either, and the 28-page story is not available.
I even showed the post to a college student who is a lot more computer
literate than I am, and he does not get it either. A digest of the
28-page story, please.

Full info at
http://www.student.livjm.ac.uk/besghodg/

Original doc at http://www.gdwebmedia.com/powerbook.pdf

Brief synopsis: This young fella in the USA was selling a Macintosh
Powerbook on eBay last month. A scammer from England tried to buy the
powerbook, proposing that the sale be consummated using an escrow
service that turned out to a fake one created by the scammer with the
help of confederates. Our hero spotted it for the scam that it was and
turned the tables on the scammer using an elaborate hoax complete with
his own confederates in England. The scammer ended up paying a stiff
import tax for what turned out to be a "powerbook" mock-up. Thus justice
was served.

Scot Kamins
--
"Speak your truth, even as your voice quakes."
Old May 17th 04, 10:09 PM
Gary Loveless

On Mon, 17 May 2004 13:23:20 -0700, Scot Kamins
wrote:

Scott:

Thanks for the summary on the story and the links to all the LATE
comers.........

Gary

Old May 17th 04, 10:20 PM
Bob Flaminio

Gary Loveless wrote:
http://www.metafilter.com/mefi/33088

Call me dense ... but I dont get it ...

Whats not to get?? He/They SCREWED over a person that intended to
screw them over first...........makes for a great story, and others
have said it too.............

It's funny, but not nearly as funny as the guys who like to play with
Nigerian scammers. There's a few different baiters out there, for
example:

http://www.419game.panvar.net/
http://www.419eater.com/
http://www.geocities.com/scambaiter2003/

--
Bob

Old May 18th 04, 03:47 PM
Andrew W Applegarth

Scot Kamins wrote in news:kamins-
:

In article ,
(Tom DeLorey) wrote:

[...]

Personally, I think this one went too far. Why? Because this person
could be facing some really stiff penalties. When he intentionally
misstated the value (and contents) of his package to customs, he
committed fraud. The person who received it can file a complaint with
customs and the goverment (or possibly two governments) will be the one
coming after this guy. The fact that the recipient attempted to run a
scam will be completely irrelevant, because the goverment will consider
it inconsequential to the crime committed by filing false customs
paperwork.

I have a feeling that the person knew that they went to far. That's
why they paniced when customs put a hold on it.

I wholeheartedly agree that scammers need to be shut down and punished
for their crimes. However, one should CYA very carefully if they try.

- Andrew W Applegarth