how to get the public to use Dollar coins?

Old December 7th 03, 10:52 PM
J. Adams

Default how to get the public to use Dollar coins?

How about making the dollar coin out of 90% silver, with a picture of
an American bald eagle on the reverse, and a picture of George
Washington on the obverse? Both designs should be done in traditional
style, ala 1860's. Yes the dollar would be smaller..and the coin
machines would have to be retooled...blah, blah blah...Still, I think
it would be really nice to have a 90% silver coin again. Just think
when you lost one, and ten years down the road when some guy with a
metal detector finds it..it wouldn't be just a rusty piece of junk and
stain in the soil, like the current coins are. So the price of silver
would rise. The people would hoard the silver coins. The govt. would
make money (as they would only put 80 cents of silver in each coin),
silver mining would boom, creating jobs for mining companies, and
people who make mining equipment. People would go to college to study
Mining, creating jobs for professors, educators of all types. The
educators would go out and buy new metal detectors to find the silver
coins lost, creating new jobs in making metal detectors (as if the
airport security boom had not already been good to them). Nah, I
guess it wouldn't work.
Old December 7th 03, 11:08 PM
Stujoe

J. Adams spoke thusly...
How about making the dollar coin out of 90% silver,

SNIP

The govt. would
make money (as they would only put 80 cents of silver in each coin),

OK, calling all mathematicians gimme an idea of how large this coin
would be. Quarter? Nickel? Dime? Cent? Trime?

A coin made out of 80 cents worth of 90% silver.

I am thinking somewhere between a dime and a cent? Am I close?

--
Stujoe
Email: http://tinyurl.com/wu00
Old December 7th 03, 11:47 PM
Jorg Lueke

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 17:08:52 -0600, Stujoe
wrote:

J. Adams spoke thusly...
How about making the dollar coin out of 90% silver,

SNIP

The govt. would
make money (as they would only put 80 cents of silver in each coin),

OK, calling all mathematicians gimme an idea of how large this coin
would be. Quarter? Nickel? Dime? Cent? Trime?

A coin made out of 80 cents worth of 90% silver.

I am thinking somewhere between a dime and a cent? Am I close?

At $5.50 per ounce $0.80 of silver is around .145 ounces. So at 90%
silver that should make it roughly the size of the old 20 cent pieces.
Old December 7th 03, 11:50 PM
Vector

wrote:

A coin made out of 80 cents worth of 90% silver.

I am thinking somewhere between a dime and a cent? Am I close?

A silver quarter, with 0.18084 Oz, contains $0.99 in silver at today's
spot of $5.46 http://www.kitco.com/charts/livesilver.html
So, this hypothetical coin would be smaller than the 24.3 mm
Washington quarter according to ...
A=Pi*R^ the area of the quarter is 463.5 square mm, so
0.8*463.5 = 370.8 sq mm, converting to diameter ...
370.8 m2 = 3.14 · R · R
Diameter = 10.9 mm, assuming the same thickness as a quarter.
A dime is 17.9 mm in diameter. But if this $1 silver coin was
decreased appropriately in thickness I think the dime is pretty close
to it's size.
Old December 7th 03, 11:53 PM
Vector

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 17:47:53 -0600, Jorg Lueke
wrote:

At $5.50 per ounce $0.80 of silver is around .145 ounces. So at 90%
silver that should make it roughly the size of the old 20 cent pieces.

I like your answer better than the one I came up with. Where did I go
wrong? scratching head Re-examining.
Old December 8th 03, 12:03 AM
Vector

wrote:

At $5.50 per ounce $0.80 of silver is around .145 ounces. So at 90%
silver that should make it roughly the size of the old 20 cent pieces.

I checked, and I was way off track. At 5.0 grams of 90% silver, the
20 piece is the correct choice. You were so sure, I had little doubt
you were correct.
Old December 8th 03, 12:12 AM
Stujoe

Vector spoke thusly...
wrote:

At $5.50 per ounce $0.80 of silver is around .145 ounces. So at 90%
silver that should make it roughly the size of the old 20 cent pieces.

I like your answer better than the one I came up with. Where did I go
wrong? scratching head Re-examining.

I think Jorg's answer sounds better but I am going to withhold final
judgement until I hear from Dobac.

Old December 8th 03, 12:23 AM
Jorg Lueke

wrote:

At $5.50 per ounce $0.80 of silver is around .145 ounces. So at 90%
silver that should make it roughly the size of the old 20 cent pieces.

I like your answer better than the one I came up with. Where did I go
wrong? scratching head Re-examining.

I think you made your calculation more complicated than it needed to be.
Simple linear algebra solves 99% of the math problems that arithmetic
doesn't address.
Old December 8th 03, 12:27 AM
Michael G. Koerner

"J. Adams" wrote:

[snip]

Much simpler way: Stop printing 'rag' dollars. Problem solved.

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old December 8th 03, 01:48 AM
Coin Saver

How about making the dollar coin out of 90% silver ... The govt. would
make money (as they would only put 80 cents of silver in each coin)

J. Adams spoke thusly:

Jorg Lueke wrote:
At $5.50 per ounce $0.80 of silver is around .145 ounces. So at 90% silver

that should make it roughly the size of the old 20 cent pieces

Vector spoke thusly:
I like your answer better than the one I came up with. Where did I go

wrong?

From Stujoe:
I think Jorg's answer sounds better but I am going to withhold final judgement

until I hear from Dobac

okokok ... this cannot be resolved with "Dobac Math", and here is why: The
'original' problem was "How to *make* people use a $1 coin. The solution of
putting silver in it is flawed in that it wouldn't *make* people USE them, it'd
make people HOARD them.

Since this suggestion is thusly flawed prior to the coin being minted, all
subsequent brainstorming and conjectures along this line are irrevelant,
including the mathematics.

"heard from"
8-)
Coin Saver

Counterfeit detection primer -- periodic post Jim Coins 19 November 17th 03 05:37 AM
US Territories and... Grandpa Coins 29 September 22nd 03 08:11 PM
Coin Talk Needs You Peter T Davis Coins 51 September 16th 03 01:19 AM
Help on telling repro Linda Coins 11 July 30th 03 02:03 AM