I guess it sometimes happens...

Old February 21st 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Amistad

Default I guess it sometimes happens...

I stopped by the bank a few minutes ago to see if they had any of the new
dollar coins. Still none, and no one could tell me when they'll get some.
So while there, I asked the teller if she had any deuces. She looked,
counted, and reported to me that she had 18 of them. I told her that I'd
take them, and slipped a hundred dollar bill across the counter. She did a
lot of key pressing on the calculator, pushed the deuces to me, and said "I
owe you 82 dollars." So she proceeded to count out that much and pushed it
towards me. I told her that she was giving me too much, for there were $36
dollars worth of twos. Another session of rapid calculating ensued, and she
reported "No, that's right." Before I picked it up, I told her that she was
giving me $118 for the $100 bill. She picked all the bills up again, and
counted them. During that process it apparently appeared to her that the
deuces must be the problem, so she counted the deuces again, handed them to
me, and asked me to count them. I did so, and while holding the 18 deuces,
told her "If you'll give me a $50, a $10, and four ones, we'll be square."
Heck, I'm an old country boy from the backwoods of Arkansas without much
education, but I could easily do such simple math in my head. Maybe the
battery was getting low in that calculator of hers... :-)

Amistad
'you gotta know when to hold 'em...'

Old February 21st 07, 08:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Amistad" wrote in message
[...]
:-)

Amistad
'you gotta know when to hold 'em...'

Diogenes, put away your lantern, your search is over.

James

Old February 21st 07, 08:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Seymour

Amistad wrote:
I stopped by the bank a few minutes ago to see if they had any of the
new dollar coins. Still none, and no one could tell me when they'll
get some. So while there, I asked the teller if she had any deuces.
She looked, counted, and reported to me that she had 18 of them. I
told her that I'd take them, and slipped a hundred dollar bill across
the counter. She did a lot of key pressing on the calculator, pushed
the deuces to me, and said "I owe you 82 dollars." [...]

Nobody uses those things, so they're really only worth $1 each, right?

:-)

--
Jim Seymour
Old February 21st 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Amistad" wrote in message
[...]

I was asked at work by someone aged about 18 what was 20% of £50 and they
seemed amazed when I answered instantly.

No calculators when I was at school. Billy

Old February 21st 07, 09:59 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"e" wrote in message
In article , "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

"Amistad" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

wasn't he the guy that looked in the mirror then looked for
his wallet?

Nope, he wandered the streets with his lantern during the day, looking for
an honest man.

James

Old February 21st 07, 11:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MDB

tut tut tut... Now give me the address of this bank!
Old February 21st 07, 11:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"e" wrote in message
m...
In article , "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

"e" wrote in message
om...
In article , "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

"Amistad" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

i walked up to my camel
and asked him for a smoke
he handed me a lucky
i said, man you missed the joke!

Guilty as charged, e (but of what I'm not sure).

James

Old February 22nd 07, 12:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Amistad

"note.boy" shared an experience with the group:
I was asked at work by someone aged about 18 what was 20% of £50 and they
seemed amazed when I answered instantly.

Yep, there are plenty of folks out there who are dazzled by the display of
such intellectual acuity. :-)

Amistad

Old February 22nd 07, 04:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Robert Dibbell

Same here. No calculators, but I was a whiz with the slide rule. (now I'm
dating myself...)

Bob

Guess what I got! kathy1945 Coins 5 December 22nd 06 12:56 PM
Guess what?!? [email protected] 8 Track Tapes 1 July 31st 06 08:50 PM
I guess just about anything... Larry Louks Coins 2 September 14th 05 04:31 PM
I guess this is UK Alan & Erin Williams Coins 55 February 20th 04 11:38 PM
Guess the medal part II (guess the time) David Hamilton Coins 33 December 9th 03 05:57 AM