Ebay must stop the frauds or die

Old February 3rd 05, 02:29 AM
Frank Provasek

Default Ebay must stop the frauds or die

This post seems to be hung up in my out box, so I am repeating it.

Despite dozens of collectors spending hours of their time
reporting fake coins to ebay, ebay does nothing. Many people are
being cheated and when they try and have the coin authenticated or
resell it, they believe that the legitimate coin dealer is a crook
for telling him his "valuable" ebay purchase is worthless. Many of
these "burned" people will never buy coins again, removing them
forever from the pool of collectors, causing downward pressure on
the prices of genuine coins.

Today I just got a chargeback from Paypal on a $47 item that I
mailed yesterday to a confirmed address, paid the 20 cents extra to
paypal for online tracking, insurance, and delivery
confirmation...yet Paypal is taking the money out of my checking
account TODAY until they can conduct an investigation.

Ebay cannot continue to operate in this manner until it becomes
nothing but a "venue" for crooked buyers and crooked sellers. It's
well on the way already.

--
RARE COIN AUCTIONS NO MINIMUMS http://www.frankcoins.com
Ebay Powerseller FRANKCOINS Texas Auction License 11259

Old February 3rd 05, 02:43 AM
Heather G.

Today I just got a chargeback from Paypal on a $47 item that I
mailed yesterday to a confirmed address, paid the 20 cents extra to
paypal for online tracking, insurance, and delivery
confirmation...yet Paypal is taking the money out of my checking
account TODAY until they can conduct an investigation.

Ebay cannot continue to operate in this manner until it becomes
nothing but a "venue" for crooked buyers and crooked sellers. It's
well on the way already.

Supposedly in the 1920's there were companies that were household names
that everyone knew and that would NEVER go out of business. Same thing
in the middle of the century and even in the recent decades. Supposedly
history repeats itself but until then a MONOPOLY is just that. They can
do whatever they want just like fixing a defective product before
release may not be as financially sound for the bottom line as dealing
with potential lawsuits. When you got power to generate $$$ that's what
you worry about in capitalism, the rest you deal with later.

I don't think it's about being far sighted or treating buyers or sellers
with justice. It is what it is and that is all it is. It's a HUGE
CORPORATION trying to maximize profit.
Old February 3rd 05, 04:03 AM
Jesse

"Frank Provasek" wrote in news:v0gMd.5072$cl1.4145
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

[...]

I agree that the coin situation is way out of hand, and has been for quite
some time now - Despite ebays alleged hiring of 'coin experts' to help
filter counterfeits, and their ominous but funny warning 'ARE YOU SURE THIS
COIN IS NOT COUNTERFEIT' displayed on the final selling page.
They could make a huge dent in this problem by simply not allowing Asians
to sell coins outside of Asia unless,say, they have a FB profile of 50 and
above with 99% +. That will never happen since it would effect ebays bottom
line negatively. I'd like to see the feds step in and nail ebay for aiding
and abetting counterfeiters and forgers.
As a buyer, the old adage 'if it seems to good to be true, it probably is'
is very valid here - And any seller originating in Asia should immediately
raise a flag - Though as you say theres bound to be a trickle effect here,
and bogus sellers could be just about anywhere.
Your just not going to find to many Capped Busts in MS condition in the $50
range.
As a seller, true theres not much you can do to protect yourself.
You did right paying the extra for the tracking - And refusing to accept CC
funded PP payments, or not accepting PP all together, would be other ways.

Old February 3rd 05, 05:54 AM
Michael Ng

"Jesse" wrote in message
[...]

Being Asian, I find your statement highly prejudicial.

Mike

Old February 3rd 05, 06:12 AM
Bill Krummel

"Michael Ng" wrote in message

"Jesse" wrote in message
[...]

I may be wrong on this one, but I would buy from Mike Ng anytime. And, I
would buy from anyone, anywhere, if I could view the coin in hand. But, I
will not touch an eBay coin auction when the seller is originating in China.
Having typed that, I think there could be exceptions. I kinda feel the same
way about Florida sellers.

Bill

Old February 3rd 05, 06:16 AM
Jesse

"Michael Ng" wrote in

"Jesse" wrote in message
[...]

I call em as I see em - And I'm not about to whitewash a well known
tendancy within the numismatic community to be politically correct.
Everyone knows the vast majority of counterfeit coins come from Asia -
China, Singapore, Honk Kong, Malaysia ect. Is that something you think
that should just be ignored just because you happen to be Asian ? I would
not buy a coin on ebay from Asia if my life depended on it - And it always
amazes me that these scam artists are able to draw in sucker after sucker
with their fake crap. If any USA based seller tried that on the same
scale, they'd have the Secret Service knocking down their door quicker
than you can say ****. The region has a well deserved reputation for
bootlegging everything under the sun, and things are certainly not going
to improve with attitudes like yours.

Old February 3rd 05, 06:50 AM
Jesse

"Bill Krummel" wrote in
:

"Jesse" wrote in message
[...]

Well, I didn't mean to imply that Asians can't be trusted.
As you said, I would walk into a coin shop and deal with an Asian, A German
or a Mongolian just the same.
Its unfortunate that Asia has gained a well deserved rep as the main
bootleg area of the world, but thats a fact that must be faced - And the
more people that are educated on it, the better.
Until the feds come in and slam ebay for aiding counterfeiters, its best
off to treat these people as if they weren't there , and if anything
reports to the Secret Service might be a little bit less useless than
reporting these scams to ebay.
Ebay clearly will not do anything to effectively stem the international
flow of coin forgeries until forced to do so.

Old February 3rd 05, 11:48 AM
James Higby

"Michael Ng" wrote in message

Being Asian, I find your statement highly prejudicial.

Mike

Just name the place, and I can show you fakes coming from there. Even at
that friendly semi-annual coin bourse down the road at the VFW lodge across
from the church in East Kumquat, I bet there's a fake SVDB every now and
then, maybe a bogus 14D, and for good measure, how about an 1893-S Morgan
Dollar née 1893-P?

What is important here is that we learn what a genuine coin looks like.
Otherwise, ignorance and greed win the day.

James

Old February 3rd 05, 12:05 PM
Flatch U. Lance

"Frank Provasek" wrote in message
ink.net...
This post seems to be hung up in my out box, so I am repeating it.

Despite dozens of collectors spending hours of their time
reporting fake coins to ebay, ebay does nothing.

Bush must stop the terrorism or.....

The USA must stop the sale of illegal drugs or.....

We must stop crime or......

Frank, what is your solution for eBay stopping fraud among it's 100 million
users?

Old February 3rd 05, 12:07 PM
Flatch U. Lance

"Jesse" wrote in message
[...]

Well, you have to admit, the chinks do lend themselves to it.