Bryn Mawr Classical Review

Old June 5th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

Default Bryn Mawr Classical Review

Here's a big kudos to Michael Marotta. In his April Internet
Connections column for the Numismatist (I'm catching up) he included a
site that I actually didn't already know about and found very useful.
It had to happen sooner or later. g Bryn Mawr Classical Review can
be found he

http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/bmcr

It's currently hosted by the University of Pennsylvania, thus its Penn
URL, rather than a Bryn Mawr College URL.

Many great things about it. Not only is the current issue entirely
online (you can alternately have it emailed to you), but you can also
easily (using Google) search through the full text of back issues
going back to 1990. It's free of charge. Michael mentions that it
includes online presentations (later saying that the articles are book
reviews), but this journal actually consists entirely of book reviews
(with brief mentions of books received).

Almost all of the book reviews are in English, even of books that are
written in other languages, including obscure neandertal languages
such as Slovenian. So you can get access to the author's conclusions
and other main points, which is a real boon to us uniglots, ugly
Americans and otherwise, who espouse universal language as a way of
communicating worldwide to the largest possible audience.

A short, quick list of some interested books reviewed:

* The Atlantis Story: A Short History of Plato's Myth (no coin angle
but interesting nonetheless)
* The Legend of Alexander the Great on Greek and Roman Coins (see my
Celator review for a far more in-depth numismatic treatment)
* La naissance de la monnaie: Pratiques monétaires de l'Orient ancien
(book in French by the renowned Georges Le Rider about the birth of
coinage)
* Agoranomia: Studies in Money and Exchange Presented to John H. Kroll
(12 different papers about coins and related subjects, ten in English,
two in French)

Etc.

Great site for those interested in ancient coins and their background,
the stories they tell about where we came from.

Good job, Michael (really).

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old June 5th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Anka

On Jun 5, 2:52�pm, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:
[...]

* La naissance de la monnaie: Pratiques mon�taires de l'Orient ancien
(book in French by the renowned Georges Le Rider about the birth of
coinage)
* Agoranomia: Studies in Money and Exchange Presented to John H. Kroll
(12 different papers about coins and related subjects, ten in English,
two in French)

Etc.

Great site for those interested in ancient coins and their background,
the stories they tell about where we came from.

Good job, Michael (really).

--

Email: (delete "remove this")

Consumer:http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Connoisseur:http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Counterfeit:http://rg.ancients.info/bogos

Edith Hamilton studied at Bryn Mawr as did a close friend of ours (may
she rest in peace), both classics scholars. I'm surprised that the
former isn't mentioned on the web site.

I see that you used the alternate (or preferred, if you wish) spelling
of "neanderthal," thereby inadvertently (I assume) using the Slovenian
form of the adjective. Something that ancient Greek and Slovenian
have in common is the use of the singular, plural and *dual* forms for
nouns and verbs. (At least I think that Greek had both...) Slovenian
is a complicated language and perhaps not quite as obscure as you
think. Just in the U.S. alone there are thousands of speakers of
Slovenian.

And what, pray tell, is a "uniglot"? Mixing your Greek and Latin, are
you? The word is "monoglot."

~Anka
Old June 6th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Jun 5, 4:55 pm, Anka wrote:

I see that you used the alternate (or preferred, if you wish) spelling
of "neanderthal," thereby inadvertently (I assume) using the Slovenian
form of the adjective.

Alternate and preferred English spelling, these days anyway among
paleoanthropologists and others, and of the noun too (typically
capitalized). The word originally was German, and there's no "th"
sound in German. Look it up if you don't believe me.

Slovenian
is a complicated language and perhaps not quite as obscure as you
think. Just in the U.S. alone there are thousands of speakers of
Slovenian.

Thousands of speakers. Wow. And I thought Neandertals were extinct.
Well, there are those Geico commercials and the now extinct TV show.
Well, I must say I admire you for your strong knuckles, dragging them
on the ground like that. Actually, that probably ended with
Australopithecus, inventor of coinage.

And what, pray tell, is a "uniglot"? Mixing your Greek and Latin, are
you? The word is "monoglot."

You're right -- monoglot.

Old June 6th 08, 02:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Anka

On Jun 5, 7:15�pm, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:
On Jun 5, 4:55 pm, Anka wrote:

Alternate and preferred English spelling, these days anyway among
paleoanthropologists and others, and of the noun too (typically
capitalized). The word originally was German,

I know both the meaning and the derivation of the German word. The
"tal" ending is a dead giveaway, especially if one is familiar with
places like Rosental, Zugtal or Spittal (jump right in on this last
one, Christian...I'm pulling his leg here).

and there's no "th"
sound in German. Look it up if you don't believe me.

I don't have to look it up. But I'm sure you just did!

Thousands of speakers. Wow.

Oprostite. Thousands of speakers in Cleveland alone. There are over
two million of us worldwide.

And I thought Neandertals were extinct.

Not as long as you post here on RCC, Reid.

~Anka

Old June 6th 08, 07:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jeff R.

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
On Jun 5, 4:55 pm, Anka wrote:

I see that you used the alternate (or preferred, if you wish) spelling
of "neanderthal," thereby inadvertently (I assume) using the Slovenian
form of the adjective.

Alternate and preferred English spelling, ...

snip

uhhh... "alternative" actually.

--
Jeff R.

Old June 6th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Anka

On Jun 5, 4:55 pm, Anka wrote:

I see that you used the alternate (or preferred, if you wish) spelling
of "neanderthal," thereby inadvertently (I assume) using the Slovenian
form of the adjective.

Alternate and preferred English spelling, ...

snip

uhhh... "alternative" actually.

--
Jeff R.

I stand corrected.

~Anka
Old June 6th 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Anka

On Jun 5, 4:55 pm, Anka wrote:

I see that you used the alternate (or preferred, if you wish) spelling
of "neanderthal," thereby inadvertently (I assume) using the Slovenian
form of the adjective.

Alternate and preferred English spelling, ...

snip

uhhh... "alternative" actually.

--
Jeff R.

I was ready to apologize profusely until I found this:

http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/alternate.html

I guess we Americans are getting further and further away from the
Queen's English. Or is it farther and farther? ;-)

Thanks.

~Anka
Old June 6th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
RF

On Jun 5, 8:15*pm, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:
And I thought Neandertals were extinct.

The fact that you post here is proof they are not.

Old June 6th 08, 08:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Reid Goldsborough

On Jun 5, 9:07 pm, Anka wrote:

Thousands of speakers in Cleveland alone.

In your previous post you said there are thousands of speakers of
Slovenian in the U.S. In this post you say there are thousands of
speakers of Slovenian in Cleveland alone. Makes perfect sense, in a
Slovenian kind of way. I kid. As I said before Slovenia is widely
recognized as a great country with a rich and storied heritage that
has contributed tremendously to the betterment of humanity. Carrying
on the heritage of the neandertal language and way of life is just one
of many amazing contributions.

P.S. Why don't you ever (or hardly ever) post anything in response to
my posts that have to do with coins? Must be a Slovenian thing too.
The Bryn Mawr Classical Review has some pretty good numismatic
content, no? Why not find a review with a coin angle there that I
didn't mention that you think others might find useful. "Useful" --
there's a novel concept, huh?