Looking For an Ink Recommendation

Old July 16th 04, 03:17 AM
john cline ii

"KCat" wrote in part:

| I love green inks. well - I like dark green inks. Don't care for
the
| bright ones like WM.

Me either. I LOVE the Cross Ion, but I do wish it came with a nice
hunter green refill, instead of florescent grass green. UGH.

| Also, some Dakota Red and Black Magic Blue from Sam at Pendemonium,
|
| please report on BMB if you can. best, kcat

I will, when and if it comes! In the meantime, I really like both
Sonic Blue and Midnight Blues from PR.

john cline ii, patiently waiting!

Old July 16th 04, 03:52 AM
Nancy Handy

Dave wrote:
Is PR American Blue greener than Waterman, purpler than Waterman, or
about the same?

It's not greener. It's not purpler. It's just a brighter, high
intensity blue. You might just have to buy it to find out. I think
some of the vendors like Sam and Chuck have online pictures of it.

Old July 16th 04, 03:58 AM
Patrick Lamb

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 00:53:25 GMT, "Jeremy"
wrote:

I don't write the etiquette books, I just read 'em. Although, to be frank,
I doubt that 99%+ of today's adults would even know that black is considered
the only ink color for formal correspondence, so it is somewhat a moot
point.

How interesting. I read in some etiquette book or another, some 25-30
years ago, that formal correspondence should be written in black or
brown ink. (I went for brown, available at that time in a Flair
"pen.") Recently I saw something that said black or blue -- made me
wonder what had changed.

At one customer's office, they have a series of framed memorabilia
centered around handwritten notes from a big mucky-muck. I've admired
said mucky-muck's notes, apparently written with a stub or italic nib,
in red, blue, black, and an interesting turquoise-shaded blue. Did he
write those himself?

Any more, I think people are so surprised to get a written note that
they don't really care what color it's written in, or on. Getting a
written note is so unusual they just might frame it!

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old July 16th 04, 04:00 AM
Patrick Lamb

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 02:17:51 GMT, "john cline ii"
wrote:

"KCat" wrote in part:

| I love green inks. well - I like dark green inks. Don't care for
the
| bright ones like WM.

Me either. I LOVE the Cross Ion, but I do wish it came with a nice
hunter green refill, instead of florescent grass green. UGH.

Are you favorably impressed by greens like PR sage, or Noodler's
squeteague or sequoia? My wife likes those -- I prefer the green
greens (but not yellow greens!) myself.

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old July 16th 04, 04:09 AM
Patrick Lamb

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 01:06:10 GMT, "Jeremy"
wrote:

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message

Bummer. Back in 1986 when I bought my first computer, I bought a Mac.
That's all I use now, although I have one Mac running NetBSD just for
variety. As far as I can tell, Windows is simply a personal security
risk and I don't need the headaches. Life is too short.

My business software is only available in Windows, so switching to another
OS is not an option in my case. I have to make the best of what I have.

Linux zealot de-lurking

You might want to look into trying Linux anyhow, and use wine (or one
of its offspring) to run your business software. Wine has aged nicely
-- now you can do things like run Agent to check out newsgroups. As
Tim notes, you can try things out on a second hard disk, so you don't
risk anything until you know your new setup works.

And with even CERT and Gartner (aka Microsoft mouthpiece) recommending
use of anything other than IE, are you sure you can't try Mozilla,
Firefox, or Opera?

How much is the time you spend keeping the computer "clean" worth?

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old July 16th 04, 06:51 AM
Bluesea

"john cline ii" wrote in message

Seriously, I am a huge green freak (now don't read THAT the wrong
way!), and am awaiting the arrival of two bottles of waterproof green
Noodler's from Chuck!

I like green also, but the sample didn't come up for me on swisherpens. Do
you happen to know if it tends more to a blue green or does it lean more to
a yellow green?

--
~~Bluesea~~who likes Sheaffer's green the best, then Parker's but not
Pelikan's

Old July 16th 04, 07:09 AM
Bluesea

"Patrick Lamb" wrote in message

At one customer's office, they have a series of framed memorabilia
centered around handwritten notes from a big mucky-muck. I've admired
said mucky-muck's notes, apparently written with a stub or italic nib,
in red, blue, black, and an interesting turquoise-shaded blue.

It's a good thing he didn't have my mom. When I was going through a red
stage, she frowned at me on more than one occasion saying that I could write
in any color but writing to someone else in red was rude and I'd best stick
to black, blue, or blue-black ink. After the last frown, I promptly made
Sheaffer's Peacock Blue (i.e., turquoise) my standard color of choice which
lasted for a few years.

--
~~Bluesea~~who still likes turquoise

Old July 16th 04, 11:40 AM
john cline ii

"Bluesea"wrote:

| "john cline ii" wrote:
|
| Seriously, I am a huge green freak (now don't read THAT the wrong
| way!), and am awaiting the arrival of two bottles of waterproof
green
| Noodler's from Chuck!
|
| I like green also, but the sample didn't come up for me on
swisherpens. Do
| you happen to know if it tends more to a blue green or does it lean
more to
| a yellow green?

Not yet. I think this was a limited production test-type run.

Somehow I got the reputation for liking green ink and was asked if I
would like to buy some! I said yes, sight unseen (the stuff hadn't
even been blended yet!)

Check with Chuck or Chun at http://www.swisherpens.com if you would
like to buy some.

I'll let you know after I get it. Being waterproof/fraud proof, etc.,
it sells for somewhat higher price that the waterproof blues that
Nathan makes for Swisher, Art Brown and Pendemonium do (each of which
is different....of those Legal Lapis at Pendemonium is by far my
favourite!) I keep trying to tell Nathan and the ink sellers that most
lawyers would prefer a blue-black ink to a turquoise one. Sam's comes
closest to being that! I like Legal Lapis from Noodler's at Sam's a
lot http:/www.pendemonium.com !

john cline ii, who hopes that helps...

Old July 16th 04, 12:10 PM
john cline ii

"Bluesea" wrote:

| I like green also, but the sample didn't come up for me on
swisherpens.

I think it will now. Go to Noodler's, waterproof inks, then pick
Verdun... The blue sample turns to green! VOILA.

It looks to be a nice green indeed.

I will post and let you know whenst it gets here!

john cline ii, who hopes that helps

Old July 16th 04, 01:22 PM
Jeremy

wrote:

I don't write the etiquette books, I just read 'em. Although, to be

frank,
I doubt that 99%+ of today's adults would even know that black is

considered
the only ink color for formal correspondence, so it is somewhat a moot
point.

How interesting. I read in some etiquette book or another, some 25-30
years ago, that formal correspondence should be written in black or
brown ink.

Here is the text from The Paper Shop regarding formal replies. Note that
it, too, insists that they must be written in black ink:

"If you receive a wedding invitation with no reply card, there is special
paper and form to follow to reply. The folded letter sheet resembles a
wedding invitation in that it is folded along the left side and then folds
top to bottom to go into a smaller envelope. The reply to this, and to any
formal, engraved invitation should be written in black ink and follow the
wording of the invitation:

Mr. and Mrs. John Smith
accept with pleasure
the kind invitation of
Dr. and Mrs. John Doe
for Saturday,
the eighteenth of December
at half after seven o'clock

Mr. John Smith
regrets he is unable to accept the kind invitation of
Dr. and Mrs. Albert Smith
for Saturday,
the eighteenth of December

If an invitation is sent to your name alone... only you are invited. You may
ask your hostess if you may bring someone to a wedding only if you are
engaged. Children are never invited unless they are named on the envelope."

This site has a lot of interesting information about the proper way to use
classic paper styles, and they seem to concentrate on Crane's as their paper
vendor. Interesting information he

www.papershop.com