Would a coin grading service be worth it for me ?

Old February 6th 05, 02:45 AM
Perk

Default Would a coin grading service be worth it for me ?

Hi all,

I have a coin (from Saxony)that I would expect to be able to sell in the
$100 range on eBay.

Would the investment in having it be attributed and encapsulated by one
of the coin grading services likely to be worth it, as far as raising
the value enough to increase the profit and offset that investment ?

Thanks much,

Perk (:)

--
NOTE - The return email address is intentionally wrong.
To respond to me personally please use the following :
Old February 6th 05, 03:09 AM
James Higby

"Perk" contemplates taking a big step:

Hi all,

I have a coin (from Saxony)that I would expect to be able to sell in the
$100 range on eBay.

Would the investment in having it be attributed and encapsulated by one of
the coin grading services likely to be worth it, as far as raising the
value enough to increase the profit and offset that investment ?

Thanks much,

Perk (:)

As a longtime collector of foreign coins speaking only for myself, I prefer
my foreign coins raw unless I'm looking at one that is often counterfeited.
It is a common misconception that encapsulation increases the value of the
coin. My advice: save your money.

James

Old February 6th 05, 04:14 AM
Bob Flaminio

Perk wrote:
I have a coin (from Saxony)that I would expect to be able to sell in
the $100 range on eBay.

Would the investment in having it be attributed and encapsulated by
one of the coin grading services likely to be worth it, as far as
raising the value enough to increase the profit and offset that
investment ?

Unless it is a coin that is frequently faked, I can't see how slabbing
it would be worth it for you. Few collectors of non-US coins care about
slabbing. I don't think I'd bother.

--
Bob

Old February 6th 05, 05:23 AM
Moses Horwitz

Perk wrote:

Hi all,

I have a coin (from Saxony)that I would expect to be able to sell in the
$100 range on eBay.

Would the investment in having it be attributed and encapsulated by one
of the coin grading services likely to be worth it, as far as raising
the value enough to increase the profit and offset that investment ?

Thanks much,

Perk (:)

--
NOTE - The return email address is intentionally wrong.
To respond to me personally please use the following :
perkatwavecabledotcom

Having the coin certified would confirm it's value not raise it.

JAM
Old February 6th 05, 05:53 PM
Bob Peterson

Slabs do several things for you. You have to decide if the cost of the
slabbing is more than these things are worth to you.

1. Confirmation of authenticity.

I am more than willing to pay to have the authenticity of a coin I am
purchasing guaranteed. OTOH, its not worth paying $30 to guarantee
authenticity of a $100 coin (at least IMHO). Better to spend that $30 on a
good coin book.

2. Confirmation of grade.

This can be an issue with certain coins, especially if you are unfamiliar
with grading standards for that particular coin series this month. If
nothing else, the slab says that the coin meets the minimum standards
established by XYZ Coin Slabbing Company for the grade of XXX at the time it
was graded.

3. Attempt to increase the value and/or salability of a coin.

While some will argue against this, it is quite clear that certain coins are
much more marketable if they are slabbed.

4. Protection of the coin.

While a slab is no guarantee the coin will never change state at all, it
does provide a high degree of protection to the coin, and in some cases at
least some guarantee from the slabber of future condition.

In your case, I am not sure any of these conditions apply. You have a
relatively low value, non-US coin. There is little interest amongst
collectors of such coins in having them slabbed, and there is not as much of
an issue with assignment of a numerical grade.

Old February 6th 05, 09:00 PM
Perk

Bob Peterson wrote:
[...]

Thanks to all for your advice, it's greatly appreciated.

Perk (:)