eBay outbid by one incrament

Old February 25th 10, 11:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default eBay outbid by one incrament

Hello again,
This may have been discussed before but anyone have any good
explainations why I get outbid almost constantly by one bid
incrament. It seems like me and the guy that wins the lot are the
only two people in the world wanting the lot. I should make bank on
it. I can run up a lot to where I have it and then it ends and I
consistently lose by one incrament. Is it really just me and the guy
winning that want the lot? Maybe it's just that my wants are
everyone elses wants. It sure seems like if I don't push the lot up,
it goes for something less than I would have bid. Anyone else
experience the same issue?
Thanks!
Wolf-==-
Old February 26th 10, 08:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
phantomm_1

"Sir F. A. Rien" wrote in message
" found these unused
words:

Hello again,
This may have been discussed before but anyone have any good
explainations why I get outbid almost constantly by one bid
incrament. It seems like me and the guy that wins the lot are the
only two people in the world wanting the lot. I should make bank on
it. I can run up a lot to where I have it and then it ends and I
consistently lose by one incrament. Is it really just me and the guy
winning that want the lot? Maybe it's just that my wants are
everyone elses wants. It sure seems like if I don't push the lot up,
it goes for something less than I would have bid. Anyone else
experience the same issue?
Thanks!
Wolf-==-

Simple, per ebunk 'rules' the winning bidder pays ONE INCREMENT above the
second highest bidder. That's regardless of the actual amount bid. The
could
bid $1,000 and still pay $2.25 over your $2.00.

You were the -=highest=- [or only] bidder when you finished your bidding,
but were sniped with seconds to go. Open the bidding history and see the
times of bidding.

I lose all the time to a certain UK dealer for that reason.

There are exceptions where the winner may win by as little as a penny!

I'll never use E-Bay.
Don't care if I die poor and horrible death,
I'll never use E-Bay.
Barry Shortridge, the old one.

Old February 26th 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Bill[_7_]

On 2/26/2010 12:38 PM, phantomm_1 wrote:

I'll never use E-Bay.
Don't care if I die poor and horrible death,
I'll never use E-Bay.
Barry Shortridge, the old one.

I don't use e-bay either, but I would prefer not dying poor and horribly...

Bill
Old February 26th 10, 09:23 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Steve Clark

In article
,
wrote:
Hello again,
This may have been discussed before but anyone have any good
explainations why I get outbid almost constantly by one bid
incrament. It seems like me and the guy that wins the lot are the
only two people in the world wanting the lot. I should make bank on
it. I can run up a lot to where I have it and then it ends and I
consistently lose by one incrament. Is it really just me and the guy
winning that want the lot? Maybe it's just that my wants are
everyone elses wants. It sure seems like if I don't push the lot up,
it goes for something less than I would have bid. Anyone else
experience the same issue?
Thanks!
Wolf-==-

I bid a lot on e-bay and win about 50% of the lots I bid for. It sounds
to me as if you're being sniped - someone who waits until the last minute
to make a bid is known as a sniper. Naturally they will beat the previous
bidder by one step.

The main thing about making bids on e-bay is to decide how much you are
prepared to pay and *pay no more*. When I look at stamps on e-bay I bid
with catalogue at hand and normally bid no more than 33-50% of catalogue
(*including p&p*) for a lot depending how badly I want the items for my
collection. Make the other fellow pay over the odds if they want the
items that much.

--
Steve Clark

using a 129Mb SA 6.14 RiscPC}
Old February 27th 10, 03:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee[_5_]

On Fri, 26 Feb 2010 21:23:57 +0000, Steve Clark wrote:

I bid a lot on e-bay and win about 50% of the lots I bid for. It sounds
to me as if you're being sniped - someone who waits until the last
minute to make a bid is known as a sniper. Naturally they will beat the
previous bidder by one step.

The main thing about making bids on e-bay is to decide how much you are
prepared to pay and *pay no more*.

Agreed. Don't fall into the fallacy of thinking "it's just another
dollar!" You can ride that train to infinity. Everything comes along
again. If you really think it won't, bid higher originally! If you bid
everything you could afford and still lost: is it worth going to the
poorhouse for it?

There is one place where I would append to this advice. Become a sniper
yourself. There is a documented auction phenomenon that many people will
bid *higher* if there are *already* bids on the item. Strange at first
blush, no? They -- consciously or not -- believe someone else has vetted
it, found it of worth, or whatever. It's actual psychology. So do a
Google search for eBay or auction snipers and compare to see which best
meets your needs (I have one I use, but I'm not going to say it here.)
Put your maximum bid through this service/program/whatever, and it will
bid your maximum in the last few seconds.

The only drawback to this that I've ever been able to think of (other
than the cost of the snipe if you are using a pro service) is that the
first bidder is awarded precedence if bids are equal. So, your $45 bid
may be good with 24 hours to go, but if someone *else* had bid this, and
you snipe at $45, you lose. To circumvent this the vast majority of the
time, I add $0.03 to all my snipe bids: $45.03 instead of $45.00, for
instance.

Good luck,

--
Joshua H. McGee
San Marino, Los Angeles, California, USA, Earth