Sideways watermark Denmark Sc # 48

Old June 18th 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

Default Sideways watermark Denmark Sc # 48

Hello Fellows,
I bought a lot of early Denmark and found a Scott # 48 (Facit # 60)
with a sideways watermark. Facit lists the inverted watermark
varieties, but makes no mention of ones that are sideways. Any
thought on this variety? Value, scarcity? Thanks!

Wolf-==-
Old June 20th 09, 12:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Jun 18, 3:12*pm, " w-
wrote:
Hello Fellows,
I bought a lot of early Denmark and found a Scott # 48 (Facit # 60)
with a sideways watermark. *Facit lists the inverted watermark
varieties, but makes no mention of ones that are sideways. *Any
thought on this variety? *Value, scarcity? *Thanks!

Wolf-==-

Jeeze, I'm sorry about this! After some review of the stamp, I found
it (the watermark) to be mostly off the edge of the stamp. It is not
inverted or sideways, just partial. Kinda funny how the eye fools us
in our later years. No intent to jerk anyones chain.
Wolf-==-
Old June 20th 09, 01:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

True, but it could be the spark for investigation.
why was it "mostly off the edge"
was substitute paper used as a stop gap measure?
Time to dig deeper?

Old June 20th 09, 08:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Toke Nørby

"rodney" wrote:

True, but it could be the spark for investigation.
why was it "mostly off the edge"
was substitute paper used as a stop gap measure?
Time to dig deeper?

In the margin of some Danish stamp sheets you can see the water mark
(something like) KONGL. POSTFRIM. and in the corner a crown/posthorn
turned about 45 degrees. If the paper was substituted, as you suggest,
some letters can appear partly or in full on stamps from the edge
position of the sheet.

Here is one from a newly ended auction:

http://www.tha.dk/default.aspx?doc=W...&s=115&c1=1000

Of course edge water marks are attractive and some people pay a little
more for such stamps.

--
Mvh Toke
Se http://www.norbyhus.dk/DDPE/