Newbie with Rowe R-86

Old December 20th 11, 11:21 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Austo

Default Newbie with Rowe R-86

Hi guys i recently purchased a Rowe R-86
When I turn on the jukebox, the Transfer Motor starts immediately.
The gripper takes a record from the magazine and put it on the
turntable (that doesn't start to turn).
The tone arm comes in place, and goes back again. The gripper takes
the record and puts it back in the magazine.
This happens over and over again.
The CCC only shows the 8vcd light, same thing happens in service mode
and i cant choose any selections or anything.
I have ordered the service manual and am awaiting its arrival.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Clint.
Old December 20th 11, 10:38 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Dec 20, 9:21*pm, Austo wrote:
Hi guys i recently purchased a Rowe R-86
When I turn on the jukebox, the Transfer Motor starts immediately.
The gripper takes a record from the magazine and put it on the
turntable (that doesn't start to turn).
The tone arm comes in place, and goes back again. The gripper takes
the record and puts it back in the magazine.
This happens over and over again.
The CCC only shows the 8vcd light, same thing happens in service mode
and i cant choose any selections or anything.
I have ordered the service manual and am awaiting its arrival.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Clint.

Is there anything showing on the display ? Does the display on the
front of the CCC display anything when in "service" mode ?

If so
it is likely the SCR on the mechanism control unit. These can go
leaky and the arm can then move slowly, but could also short. The
optos can also fail that drive this.

Finally, unplug the bottom connector from off the central control
computer, (with the power off) and then turn it on and see if the arm
still moves. If it stops, then its likely a bad signal coming from
the CCC that is the cause.
Old December 21st 11, 07:47 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Austo

There is nothing on the display just the 8VDC light. exact same thing
happens in service mode aswell.
Old December 21st 11, 11:04 AM
Alan Hood Alan Hood is offline
Senior Member

Location: Sheffield UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austo View Post
Hi guys i recently purchased a Rowe R-86
When I turn on the jukebox, the Transfer Motor starts immediately.
The gripper takes a record from the magazine and put it on the
turntable (that doesn't start to turn).
The tone arm comes in place, and goes back again. The gripper takes
the record and puts it back in the magazine.
This happens over and over again.
The CCC only shows the 8vcd light, same thing happens in service mode
and i cant choose any selections or anything.
I have ordered the service manual and am awaiting its arrival.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
Clint.
Hi Clint I have left you some posts on other forums.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK
Old December 21st 11, 02:20 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
em pinball

On Dec 21, 1:47*am, Austo wrote:
There is nothing on the display just the 8VDC light. exact same thing
happens in service mode aswell.

have you checked the battery for corrosion. norm
Old December 21st 11, 02:21 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Dec 21, 5:47*pm, Austo wrote:
There is nothing on the display just the 8VDC light. exact same thing
happens in service mode aswell.

then the CCC is faulty
Old December 23rd 11, 11:39 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Austo

wow ok guess i should order a new one then, just a chip or you think
the whole board is stuffed?
Old December 23rd 11, 01:02 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Dec 23, 9:39*pm, Austo wrote:
wow ok guess i should order a new one then, just a chip or you think
the whole board is stuffed?

First thing I would do if it is completely dead is to check the +5v
supply on the board. This is derived by a regulator from the 8v
supply.

You would need to know what you are doing, but there is a custom IC on
there (the 40 pin one that is the largest on the board) but I have
found it is very reliable.

Everything else in there is readily available off the shelf part (5101
rams might be a bit hard to find but they are there) that you can
replace if you know what you are doing.
Note that the 5101 rams commonly fail, and these are worth changing.

If you find that there is substantial corrosion around the battery
area, I would consider buying a working replacement board. I saw a
couple that were so bad that even once repaired they kept developing
faults, due to bad tracks.

Beware though, there are dishonest sellers out there who actually sell
reconditioned boards with that same black rectangular crappy battery
fitted (a new one), which is a pretty low act considering that they
leak within 2-3 years, especially in a tropical climate.

We bought one of these from the USA a few years back, and soon fixed
the problem by putting a proper battery in there

Old December 24th 11, 01:21 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Austo

Thanks for the advice kreed ,
Ive got the usuer manual on the way, so i will check the 5v supply ,
the battery has already been replaced (by someone else ) , the
rectangular battery has been replace with a round nec battery by the
looks of it , no corrorion around the board , i have resoldered the
header pins on the board and clean the mechanical control boad too.
(Removed all the old foam cleaned and replaced with some mouse pad).
Once i had done that i had lights on the TT motor trans motor and
toggle , and turn table was spinning.
Justt checked again this morning and turn table stopped spinning and
back to the way it was.
Time to change all the connector pins.

Old December 24th 11, 01:44 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
kreed

On Dec 24, 11:21*am, Austo wrote:
Thanks for the advice kreed ,
*Ive got the usuer manual on the way, so i will check the 5v supply ,
the battery has already been replaced (by someone else ) , the
rectangular battery has been replace with a round nec battery by the
looks of it , no corrorion around the *board , i have resoldered the
header pins on the board and clean the mechanical control boad too.
(Removed all the old foam cleaned and replaced with some mouse pad).
Once i had done that i had lights on the TT motor trans motor and
toggle , and turn table was spinning.
Justt checked again this morning and turn table stopped spinning and
back to the way it was.
Time to change all the connector pins.

yes, that would be a good idea.

Also while you are at it, replace all the small signal transistors on
the CCC. These have been known to often suffer from internal leakage,
causing all sorts of problems.

These are the "D" shaped ones (looking from the top). We replaced
these as a part of a routine overhaul of these machines as they
commonly gave weird problems. WE used BC547,8 and 557,8 as these were
commonly available in Australia, and work just as well. If using, you
must put them in the board the opposite way around (turn 180 degrees
to the orientation of the original).

Will a display from a rowe cd100 fit a Rowe cd-51? BriMc Juke Boxes 1 January 23rd 05 01:46 AM
Help for newbie J.Pritchard Coins 8 August 17th 04 10:33 AM
Newbie...help needed rowe JAN...... PAUL IN MAINE Juke Boxes 10 July 31st 04 07:27 PM
Old - Newbie Jeff Port 8 Track Tapes 3 November 26th 03 11:43 PM
FS: rowe/ami parts; rowe, rockola, whurlitzer manuals stevethedomer Juke Boxes 0 October 26th 03 12:19 AM