Coin Web sites

Old November 3rd 03, 01:08 AM
Nick Knight

In , on 11/02/2003
at 07:46 PM, Reid Goldsborough said:

Yahoo has done a very good job with email-based discussion groups (Yahoo
Groups), Web-based email (Yahoo Mail), and shopping (Yahoo Shopping), but
its directory stinks, which ironically is how it started of course. Many
key sites aren't included in Yahoo's categories, some of its "Most Popular"
sites are wildly esoteric, and site submissions to it may never show up. A
much better directory is ODP (Open Directory Project (
http://www.dmoz.com), which in fact is

I dunno, I still use Yahoo for everyday searches that are bound to list tons
of info. I'll try google as an alternate on occassion and see if I see the
same difference.

However, for the TOUGH searches, I use a Windows product called Copernic.
It's a super-search engine tool. I will search a dozen-or-so different
search engines, all at the same time, for my phrase. It then ranks hits
from all sources and shows me the consolidated list. It checks itself
against the developer's internet site periodically for update (which sites
to use, how to parse their pages, etc) ... but it's found many obscure
references when picking a single, specific search engines (usually Yahoo)
finds nothing.

It does other types of searches, too, but I find it best for Web searching.
Let's see if I can find the developer's web site. Ah, it's easy:

http://www.copernic.com

Nick
Old November 3rd 03, 04:38 AM
Reid Goldsborough

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 01:08:28 GMT, "Nick Knight"
wrote:

I dunno, I still use Yahoo for everyday searches that are bound to list tons
of info. I'll try google as an alternate on occassion and see if I see the
same difference.

If you type in a search term at Yahoo, it Googles to find it. For some
time now Yahoo has licensed Google's search engine, as have a number
of other search sites. (Yahoo used to license AltaVista's search
engine before Google took over the world.) But Yahoo's directory --
its categorizing of sites under specific headings -- is its own, and
it's what stinks.

However, for the TOUGH searches, I use a Windows product called Copernic.

Yep. I've used it and a bunch of other meta search tools, ProFusion
and all the rest. But I still use Google for most searches because it
provides the single most important feature that a Web search tool can
provide: relevance. On the other hand, meta search tools such as
Copernic are good if the information you're looking for is esoteric
and may not show up at all using one search tool. Instead of going
from one to another one by one, you can use three or five or twenty
all at once.

Just my take on all this.

--

Email me at (delete "remove this")

Coin Collecting: Consumer Guide:
http://rg.ancients.info/guide
Glomming: Coin Connoisseurship: http://rg.ancients.info/glom
Bogos: Counterfeit Coins: http://rg.ancients.info/bogos
Old November 3rd 03, 04:47 PM
Reid Goldsborough

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 22:38:37 -0500, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:

One of the positive things that people do here and in other online
discussion groups is share information.

The counterpoint to the above is the misinformation that gets
disseminated through online discussion groups. The old caveat applies
about being careful about any information you find on the Internet.
Unlike with print publishing, those putting out information are
typically amateurs, without training or experience in fact checking,
judging the reliability of sources, and so on. And not having editors
review material before publication also decreases the reliability of
the information.

People play expert online, pretending they're lawyers or doctors. Some
people posting from AOL accounts play computer expert. Some look not
to put out accurate information but to promote an agenda -- this is no
different from advocacy print publications -- and you see it in this
newsgroup most blatantly with those who oppose the keeping of
counterfeit coins and who put out counterfeit information. Some like
to think they're bold thinkers, overturning the established wisdom
with clever verbiage while ignoring much of the literature published
about their new paradigms and otherwise failing to review the relevant
evidence. Some because of their own demons just lie, making things up.

But the single most curious thing, to me, about the subject of
misinformation in online discussion groups is the inability or
unwillingness of some to admit it when they're gotten something wrong.
You see this over and over. People argue and argue their points well
beyond reason and common sense, or they stop arguing their points and
start attacking personally those they're debating, or they utter
guttural sounds or otherwise emote noncerebrally, or they stop
responding entirely. Conversely, some of the most refreshing things
you see are statements such as "I hadn't considered that," or "That's
something I didn't know," or "I need to check more into this," or "You
may be right." It reassures that reasonableness is a human trait, even
online, that's not totally extinct, that a meeting of the minds, even
when initially separate or distant, can happen.

Old November 3rd 03, 08:25 PM
Phil DeMayo

Reid, sockpuppet-less, must converse with himself:

wrote:

One of the positive things that people do here and in other online
discussion groups is share information.

The counterpoint to the above is the misinformation.....

snip

What a pathetic little hypocrite.

++++++++++
Phil DeMayo - always here for my fellow Stooge
When bidding online always sit on your helmet
Just say NO to counterfeits
Old November 3rd 03, 11:49 PM
Bob Peterson

wrote:

[...]

I know of several people with Microsoft certficates attesting to their
competance in certain computer related areas that have AOL addresses. I can
guarantee their level of skill and knowledge is not related to their email
address, and far exceeds your limited computer skills.

Old November 4th 03, 12:57 AM
Alan & Erin Williams

Bob Peterson wrote:

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 22:38:37 -0500, Reid Goldsborough
wrote:

(snip)

[...]

Bob, its clear to most people by now that Reid never the facts get in
the way of a tantrum. Let him go. He's only looking for the only
pleasure he has in a day, a newsgroup flamefest.

Alan
'yawn'
Old November 4th 03, 02:46 AM
Bob Peterson

"Reid Goldsborough" wrote in message
On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 17:49:01 -0600, "Bob Peterson"
wrote:

I know of several people with Microsoft certficates attesting to their
competance in certain computer related areas that have AOL addresses. I

can
guarantee their level of skill and knowledge is not related to their

email
address, and far exceeds your limited computer skills.

As their sole account? I know of computer consultants too who keep AOL
accounts, but I know of none, and couldn't conceive of any, who would
have only an AOL account.

My computer skills have nothing to do with this. Neither does my dog's
name or what I had for breakfast this morning. You make the statement
that my computer skills are "limited." Based on? Doesn't matter. I've
never contended I was an expert, but I've been around computers a
while, BBSing well before the Internet explosion, figuring out how to
add Zmodem to ProComm, writing a shareware collection of macros for
XyWrite, writing and desktop publishing the manual for the DOS menuing
program Hard Disk Menu, and being a part-time computer consultant
during the days when 286s were screaming fast machines. Can I program
in assembler? Nope. I suspect you can't either, but this also is
irrelevant.

Actually, I used to, but its no longer part of my repertoire of useful
skills as I have not done so in almost 20 years. Just no need to do so.

Old November 4th 03, 04:15 AM
Wheeler

Reid Goldsborough wrote:

SNIP

Fun stuff...

SNIP

I have been watching this newsgroup for about 4 years now, and only
posting for about 2 years..... I STILL fail to understand some
peoples logic as to just why they have to jump on you each and every
time that you post anything at all..... I do not care what you post,
there is some people that is going to try and correct you in
something.... Does these people have a life? If they do not like
you, why answer you at all? Yes, I was guilty of this one time, but
I was wrong and you pointed out to me that you wanted me to ask the
entire newsgroup my question so that I would have more than just one
persons word for my question. I mean, it is getting that I feel
sorry for you when I see you post anything, just because I know in
my heart, that there is going to be a some people that will go into
"pit bull mode" and just tear you apart..... But then again, let
them want to know something about ancients, they will ask you, and
you will answer them..... Does not make any sense to me....

Roscoe Ebay- 1Wheeler,
ICQ- 876749, Yahoo Messenger- Wheeler72512

"We don't like their sound, and guitar music is on the way out."
Decca Recording Co. rejecting the Beatles, 1962.
Old November 4th 03, 05:42 AM
Phil DeMayo

Wheeler wrote:

I have been watching this newsgroup for about 4 years now, and only
posting for about 2 years..... I STILL fail to understand some
peoples logic as to just why they have to jump on you each and every
time that you post anything at all.

Roscoe.....Reid's post (a response to himself) was nothing more than a thinly
veiled attack aimed at several posters to this newsgroup, myself included. He
claims that others start "****y fights" and engage in name calling and then he
goes and posts something like this. At last count he had personally insulted
almost 40 posters to this newsgroup.

Reid is an a-hole and most posters here recognize this.