Cutting uncut pages - should I - shouldn't I

Old March 17th 04, 10:57 PM
Mark Usher

Default Cutting uncut pages - should I - shouldn't I

Hello all,

I was wondering what the general consensus of opinion is regarding uncut
pages. I recently acquired a book where all the pages are at the top, uncut.
This makes the book unusable, and I would like to use it. Should I cut the
uncut pages or should I try and acquire another copy. If I cut the pages,
what would be the best way to do this. By carefully sanding the top edge
with fine sandpaper, or cutting the block with a gullotine type device, or
use a razor blade on each individual page from the inside out.

Be grateful for any opinions anyone may have.

-Mark

Old March 17th 04, 11:12 PM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Mark Usher wrote:

I was wondering what the general consensus of opinion is regarding
uncut pages.

Purely from a book-collecting point of view, there is a slight preference
for uncut pages, but it doesn't make that big a difference.

I recently acquired a book where all the pages are at the top,
uncut. This makes the book unusable, and I would like to use it.

Gasp! You mean...you want to *read* it?!

Should I cut the uncut pages or should I try and acquire another copy.

There are different opinions about this. One is that even collectible books
were made to be read. The other is that you buy reading copies for reading
and collectible copies for collecting. You have to weigh up the pros and
cons and decide.

If I cut the pages, what would be the best way to do this.
By carefully sanding the top edge with fine sandpaper,

No.

or cutting the block with a gullotine type device,

No.

or use a razor blade on each individual page from the inside out.

No.

The closest you get is the last suggestion, but with a sharp blade there is
a serious risk that the blade will slip and cut the page at the wrong place,
not where the fold is. Use a blunter instrument. That way the paper will
separate at the point of least resistance (i.e., along the fold). If your
fist cut isn't complete, you might perhaps use a sharper blade to cut the
last half-inch or so, close to the hinge.

Of course, a sharp blade - when it doesn't slip - will give a cleaner cut
than a very blunt blade, which will effectively tear, rather than cut the
paper. You need to use something which is sharp enough to give a reasonably
clean cut but blunt enough not to slip and cut in the wrong place. A credit
card or table knife would be too thick, but a photocopy card or a blade of
equivalent thickness would do a good job. It's worth taking some sheets of
paper and folding them up and practising with them first, to get the feel of
it, before embarking on the real thing.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old March 17th 04, 11:35 PM
Denise

"John Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote in
message ...
Mark Usher wrote:

[...]

I have heard that a playing card is just right for this job, though I have
never tried it ~~

best,
Denise

Old March 18th 04, 12:08 AM
Jon Meyers

"John Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote...
Mark Usher wrote:

I was wondering what the general consensus of opinion is regarding
uncut pages.

Purely from a book-collecting point of view, there is a slight preference
for uncut pages...

And a strong preference for calling them "unopened"--"uncut" being something
else altogether.

--
Jon Meyers
[To reply,

Old March 18th 04, 04:23 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

Jon Meyers wrote:

Purely from a book-collecting point of view, there is a slight

preference
for uncut pages...

And a strong preference for calling them "unopened"--"uncut" being

something
else altogether.

Oops! Having followed a couple of threads in the Exlibris mailing group on
precisely this topic I should have known better!

I can no longer find that thread (which dates from just a year or two ago),
but searching the Exlibris archives turns up basically similar stuff from
over a decade ago:
http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byfor...993/10/threads
..html#00031

For those who don't want to plough through all that, the soundbite version
is "uncut" means the page edges are rough (i.e., they haven't been trimmed
smooth).

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old March 18th 04, 05:39 AM
Bob Riedel

Denise writes:

I have heard that a playing card is just right for this job, though I have
never tried it ~~

Coated playing cards work really well; a business card will do in a pinch
(sometimes better, if it's a small book --easier to manipulate the smaller
card).

Bob Riedel
Print Matters! Used & Rare Books
http://www.abebooks.com/home/printmat

Old March 18th 04, 06:24 PM
Mark Usher

Many thanks to all for the advice regarding the "unopened" pages. I will
carry out a few experiments tonight. I have a few implements in mind -
letter opener, blunt edge of a renewable craft knife, thin piece of plastic
that is semi rigid etc. etc.

I am also very interested in the restoration of books, cleaning aspects of
pages and covers etc. I have a few books in the subject but would like to
know if any knows of a good list / group to exchange information on this
topic, or would they be on topic in this group?

-Mark

Old March 18th 04, 08:34 PM
graphicsguy

"Mark Usher" wrote in message
.telekom.at...
Many thanks to all for the advice regarding the "unopened" pages. I will
carry out a few experiments tonight. I have a few implements in mind -
letter opener, blunt edge of a renewable craft knife, thin piece of

plastic
that is semi rigid etc. etc.

I am also very interested in the restoration of books, cleaning aspects of
pages and covers etc. I have a few books in the subject but would like to
know if any knows of a good list / group to exchange information on this
topic, or would they be on topic in this group?

-Mark

I have found the association of restorer's website a valuable reference
point. They have a section on print restoration as well as links to
suppliers and restorers. http://www.assoc-restorers.com/

cheers
greg

Old March 18th 04, 10:17 PM
Hardy-Boys.net

"Mark Usher" wrote
... If I cut the pages, what would be the best way to do this.

Chainsaw, yeah that's the ticket - chainsaw!
--
Bob Finnan
The Hardy Boys Unofficial Home Page

Old March 21st 04, 08:08 AM
palmer.william

"Mark Usher" wrote in message
.telekom.at...
Hello all,

I was wondering what the general consensus of opinion is regarding uncut
pages. I recently acquired a book where all the pages are at the top,

uncut.
This makes the book unusable, and I would like to use it. Should I cut the
uncut pages or should I try and acquire another copy. If I cut the pages,
what would be the best way to do this. By carefully sanding the top edge
with fine sandpaper, or cutting the block with a gullotine type device, or
use a razor blade on each individual page from the inside out.

Be grateful for any opinions anyone may have.

You are confusing "unopened" with "uncut." It
is plain you are describing an unopened book.
I don't really know what the safe way to make
the cut is. I have a small Macmillan 1898
volume of French poetry with a handsome
blue and gilt cover, and its pages are about
50 percent unopened. I leave it that way as
a curiosity, one of those items it is fun to
have one of, but which you don't particularly
want two of.

Mr. Palmer
Room 314

-Mark