In Memory of Frank Dubiel - A loss that wil only grow as time passes. . .

Old December 13th 03, 07:58 PM
Penstop

Default In Memory of Frank Dubiel - A loss that wil only grow as time passes. . .

Steve and I have been sitting here for two days, ever since we heard the
tragic news of Frank Dubiel's untimely passing. We have been reading and
following the posts written and the comments made. It has been very hard
for us to digest this news, like I am sure all of you, it came as a huge
shock.

While neither of us was very close friends of Frank, we did spend time with
him at various pen shows during the years and did communicate via email.
Frank was one of the only people that I, myself, was not afraid to ask if
something could be done and how. He never skirted an issue and always
answered the questions straightforward and simply.

Several years ago, on a pre-day show, Frank, Steve and I were the only ones
there. It was a Thursday and for some reason none of the other dealers or
attendees came that early. The show promoter asked us to set up for a
couple of hours, just so that if anyone did come there would be some live
bodies in the room. The three of us looked at each other and grinned. Why
not, it would be a chance to talk and get to know each other a little
better.

We spent the better part of four hours talking, laughing and learning all
from Frank. He was an incredible human being, knowledgeable, extremely
intelligent, while at the same time quite simple in his approach to life and
our hobby. Yes, there were many who walked around Frank keeping their
distance, maybe because he had that gruff and stand-offish exterior, quite
the opposite to the Frank that we had come to know during those few short
hours alone.

There is not much that either of us can add to the many things that have
already been said about Frank, but we can reiterate that surely he is going
to be missed and missed deeply. Time passing will only strengthen the loss
that we are all about to experience from this terrible tragedy.

What little we knew of Frank, we believe that when he was a friend, he was a
true and deep friend and I don't think there can be any better or more
sincere compliment to one's life than the measure of friendship.

We will all miss him deeply.

Maryann and Steve at Penstop

http://www.penstoponline.com

http://www.nycpenshow.com