REAL Writer's Pen

Old April 27th 04, 09:01 AM
morten

Default REAL Writer's Pen

Much has been written in these interesting and valuable posts about
pens. Many though are written based on qualifications like
appearance, nib quality, ink flow, collectibility, value, etc. Good
OBJECTIVE standards of the elements of a pen I suppose.

But I'm not sure, based on what I've read, that we've drilled down to
the real essence of a pen, (pardon my frankness).

To me, a PR professional who covers some 8-10 FULL pages a day in my
notebook of meeting notes, random thoughts, phone numbers and creative
1st drafts of speeches and op/eds, a pen is what allows a writer to
write more. More text, more creatively, more easily, with less
thought to the pen, and more thought to the copy. The pen being a
true extensive not of the hand, but the mind, in fact eliminating the
hand. The trouble with BPs, is that they require the hand to be an
intermediary between mind and paper, what with all that pushing and
scratching.

So (sorry for the long preamble), from you writers out there, what's
the pen for you that creates a symbiotic link with your mind, without
your hand, or even your eyes, getting in the way. Fancy Mont Blanc's
are eliminated in my mind, because they force the mind to focus on the
pen, rather than on the word being put on paper.

I own several FPs – some new, some old. My favourite is... a
relative cheapo Sheaffer Prelude. Yup. It disappears in my hand, and
just lets me write.

I'd like to hear from you. Both what you use your FPs for (your
profession or writing based hobby) and which FP does it best and why.
What's the best writing FP for a writer? If a 2 pound baguette of a
Mont Blanc named after a 19th century author is you choice, the tell
me why.

I hope this is a useful post for writers.
Old April 27th 04, 12:40 PM
PENMART01

(morten) scrawled:

[...]

Your inability to produce coherent and correctly structured sentences precludes
you from needing any pen.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Old April 27th 04, 12:47 PM
Don Fortunata

morten wrote:

But I'm not sure ...that we've drilled down to
the real essence of a pen, (pardon my frankness).

To me, a PR professional who covers some 8-10
FULL pages a day in my notebook of meeting notes,
random thoughts, phone numbers and creative
1st drafts of speeches and op/eds ....

Wow. You must save those notebooks for the
Smithsonian! Especially the "creative" part.

It could go into the "essence" section.

Old April 29th 04, 03:06 AM
Bernie Schmitt

snip
"morten" wrote in message
m...

So (sorry for the long preamble), from you writers out there, what's
the pen for you that creates a symbiotic link with your mind, without
your hand, or even your eyes, getting in the way.

The pen I use which currently works this way is a Platinum Armor. Smooth,
good flow, nice balance.

But my preference has changed over time, and will likely change again: I
don't necessarily understand why a pen "works best" for me, and then is
replaced by a different pen. Over the years Pelikan 800, or Sheaffer
Balance, or Parker Vacumatic (long canadian junior), or even a Cross Century
I (with factory replaced 14k nib) have worked best. Either I've changed, or
the weather, but things go in cycles, and happily so: the movement of the
pens reduces the boredom.

Bernie