Therapy needed?

Old April 27th 04, 12:56 AM
Tommy C. Li

Old April 27th 04, 08:53 AM
Bluesea

"Tommy C. Li" wrote in message

Bluesea wrote:
| "Hal Whelply" wrote in message
| snip
|
|I just write, it runs dry, I throw it away, and I grab another.
|No relationship to maintain. No emotional attachment.
|
|But how can I be thinking this way? I feel guilty.
|

| Yes, you should feel guilty! Why are you throwing the G-2's away
instead of
| buying refills for them???

You know, back when I used gels, I noticed that refills were just as
expensive as buying whole new pens! The refills are also hard-to-find,
and the actual pens are sometimes cheaper when on-sale. This was
not-cool - it seems the companies produce these pens to be thrown away.
I bought the refills anyway though.

That might depend on your location as it wasn't the case when I was in HI,
Y2K to '02, nor has it been the case in OK since. Pilot G-2 refills have
always been very easy for me to find. It's like, "they're everywhere,
they're everywhere."

At Wal-Mart, a package of 2 Pilot G-2 refills now costs $1.57, a pkg of 2
pens costs $2.56, and a pkg of 4 pens costs $4.42. At Office Depot, a pkg of
2 refills costs $1.59 and a pkg of 4 pens costs $4.55 down from $4.99.

You can do the math.

"A dollar saved is a dollar earned." (adjusted for inflation)

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old April 27th 04, 09:07 AM
Bluesea

"Tommy C. Li" wrote in message

Fountain pens feel better to write with, plus they apply a pretty much
consistent line width. I use fountains now.

I agree wholeheartedly with the fp's feel better opinion. However, line
width varies from pen to pen and a fp with a flex nib will lay down a line
with a noticeably inconsistent width w/i a single sentence, even w/i a
single word or letter.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old April 27th 04, 10:48 AM
john cline ii

"Bluesea" wrote:

| That might depend on your location as it wasn't the case when I was
in HI,
| Y2K to '02, nor has it been the case in OK since. Pilot G-2 refills
have
| always been very easy for me to find. It's like, "they're everywhere,
| they're everywhere."
|
| At Wal-Mart, a package of 2 Pilot G-2 refills now costs $1.57, a pkg
of 2
| pens costs $2.56, and a pkg of 4 pens costs $4.42. At Office Depot, a
pkg of
| 2 refills costs $1.59 and a pkg of 4 pens costs $4.55 down from
$4.99.

| You can do the math.

Sure. Around here, though, the only colour of refill Wal-Mart stocks
is black. Also, some of us would prefer to do business with retailers
who carry more than just the most popular stock keeping units...

john cline ii, who often uses red G-2's but prefers Zebra Sarasa pens
in any event...

Old April 27th 04, 02:05 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:07:39 GMT, "Bluesea"
wrote:

I agree wholeheartedly with the fp's feel better opinion. However, line
width varies from pen to pen and a fp with a flex nib will lay down a line
with a noticeably inconsistent width w/i a single sentence, even w/i a
single word or letter.

Perhaps its the pen, but I've seen a person with a flex nib write in a
consistent manner, well, all the time. He uses the flex nib to write a
far fancier script than I can manage, at least at this point, and the
line varies from letter to letter and within each letter, but it is
consistent.

My non-flex nibs are consistent at all times, but it prevents any
attempt at either English or Chinese calligraphy, were consistency
within the stroke is the last thing you want.

I guess the other issue is that in a general discussion of wrting with
a fountain pen, the flex nib seems a sidepath. They aren't readily
available off-the-shelf, and I had to look a bit to get a couple of
real flex nibs (can't afford the few pens with available with music
nibs).

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...
Old April 28th 04, 01:33 AM
Ron Wilbanks

Bluesea wrote:

That might depend on your location as it wasn't the case when I was in HI,
Y2K to '02, nor has it been the case in OK since. Pilot G-2 refills have
always been very easy for me to find. It's like, "they're everywhere,
they're everywhere."

At all of the local bookstores here in Michigan, especially on the
college campuses, they sell the pens two to a pack or all four colors in
a four-pack, rather than sell the refills. When I asked the manager
yesterday why they don't carry them he said, "it's easier to just sell
the pens outright, than to order the refills." Very interesting!

--
Sincerely yours,

Ron Wilbanks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Spam filter: -1 for the real thing!

Old April 28th 04, 04:44 PM
Bluesea

"Ron Wilbanks" wrote in message
. ..

Bluesea wrote:

That might depend on your location as it wasn't the case when I was in

HI,
Y2K to '02, nor has it been the case in OK since. Pilot G-2 refills have
always been very easy for me to find. It's like, "they're everywhere,
they're everywhere."

At all of the local bookstores here in Michigan, especially on the
college campuses, they sell the pens two to a pack or all four colors in
a four-pack, rather than sell the refills. When I asked the manager
yesterday why they don't carry them he said, "it's easier to just sell
the pens outright, than to order the refills." Very interesting!

I wonder if there's more of a profit with pens than with refills as I can't
figure out how one stock # might be "easier" to order than another
especially since we're talking about Pilot.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old April 28th 04, 05:16 PM
Bluesea

"john cline ii" wrote in message

"Bluesea" wrote:

| That might depend on your location as it wasn't the case when I was
in HI,
| Y2K to '02, nor has it been the case in OK since. Pilot G-2 refills
have
| always been very easy for me to find. It's like, "they're everywhere,
| they're everywhere."
|
| At Wal-Mart, a package of 2 Pilot G-2 refills now costs $1.57, a pkg
of 2
| pens costs $2.56, and a pkg of 4 pens costs $4.42. At Office Depot, a
pkg of
| 2 refills costs $1.59 and a pkg of 4 pens costs $4.55 down from
$4.99.

| You can do the math.

Sure. Around here, though, the only colour of refill Wal-Mart stocks
is black. Also, some of us would prefer to do business with retailers
who carry more than just the most popular stock keeping units...

Yeah, location and store matter.

Ofc. Depot carries black, blue, and red. Only .02 higher than Wal-Mart
(here - YMMV).

I haven't seen green refills anywhere though, come to think about it. Will
have to check Staples the next time I'm in the vicinity, if I can remember.
I don't use green in the G-2 so don't really care.

Not much else in the way of choices. The only bottled ink in town is
Montblanc or Quink black from Ofc. Depot or Quink black from Staples - no
other retailers although Hobby Lobby carries various colors in Sheaffer
cartridges because it sells the calligraphy Viewpoint.

Even Copelin's in Norman only carries Sheaffer bottled black or blue-black
and some cartridges, including Pelikan. They'll special order other colors,
though.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old April 28th 04, 05:46 PM
Bluesea

wrote:

[...]

But, you're saying that your friend with the flex nib still has varying line
widths? Or, that all the upstrokes, downstrokes, horizontal strokes, etc.
have a consistent width such as a non-flex nib would make? Consistent manner
isn't the same as consistent line width as I understand the context of Li's
post.

Come to think about it, the width of my lines vary when I write with an
italic nib, also - Sheaffer Viewpoint - very readily available off-the-shelf
(I got one from a grocery store) as were my Namiki Falcons. (Some may argue
whether or not the Falcon is truly flex as advertised, but there's no doubt
that the line width varies when I write naturally and they were easy to
obtain "off-the-shelf" from two different brick-and-mortar pen stores in two
different states. YMMV due to your location.)

I've seen other new pens advertised as flex, but can't recall which they
were and haven't tried them so won't vouch for them in any event.

--
~~Bluesea~~