First time FP buyer/user

Old May 16th 04, 08:42 AM
Earl Camembert

On Sat, 15 May 2004 16:49:23 GMT, Ron Wilbanks
wrote:

Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
Paul A. Hoadley wrote:

LOL again! Well, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. My
LAMY is sitting right next to my Mont Blanc, and I still use the LAMY.
:-)

I don't like MontBlanc either.

Well I like them. They work very well. Are they worth the money? No
pen that costs over 200 USD that is not gold is worth the money.
Old May 17th 04, 06:45 PM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

Earl Camembert wrote:
Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
I don't like MontBlanc either.

Well I like them. They work very well. Are they worth the money? No
pen that costs over 200 USD that is not gold is worth the money.

Actually, what I primarily don't care for in the Mont Blanc line is that
they're typically available only in a color I detest at a price I
despise.

I do have a Generations, but, naturally, they discontinued them. I
didn't find it to be better than any of my other pens. I'd still like a
violet fp, though.

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Ideally pacing should look like the stock market for the year 1999, up
Old May 17th 04, 08:20 PM
Bluesea

wrote:

Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:

I don't like MontBlanc either.

Well I like them. They work very well. Are they worth the money? No
pen that costs over 200 USD that is not gold is worth the money.

But, there are better pens for less d,r,h.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old May 18th 04, 10:16 AM
Earl Camembert

On Mon, 17 May 2004 19:20:08 GMT, "Bluesea"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:

I don't like MontBlanc either.

Well I like them. They work very well. Are they worth the money? No
pen that costs over 200 USD that is not gold is worth the money.

Please name them.

Old May 18th 04, 10:19 AM
Earl Camembert

On Mon, 17 May 2004 10:45:46 -0700, Deirdre Saoirse Moen
wrote:

Earl Camembert wrote:
Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
I don't like MontBlanc either.

Well I like them. They work very well. Are they worth the money? No
pen that costs over 200 USD that is not gold is worth the money.

Actually, what I primarily don't care for in the Mont Blanc line is that
they're typically available only in a color I detest at a price I
despise.

You can have any color you want as long as it is black. I like that it
can only be filled from an ink well. What other pen made today has a
nib the size of the 149?
Old May 18th 04, 06:33 PM
Tim McNamara

wrote:

Earl Camembert wrote:
Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
I don't like MontBlanc either.

Well I like them. They work very well. Are they worth the money?
No pen that costs over 200 USD that is not gold is worth the
money.

"They work very well" is a rare statement about Montblanc pens in
this newsgroup!

Actually, what I primarily don't care for in the Mont Blanc line is
that they're typically available only in a color I detest at a price
I despise.

You can have any color you want as long as it is black.

Or burgundy. Or white gold. Or... Montblanc isn't Henry Ford.

I like that it can only be filled from an ink well. What other pen
made today has a nib the size of the 149?

Pelikan M1000 for one: there are actually many pens with big nibs, if
that's what turns you on. Leaf through a copy of the Fountain Pen
Hospital catalog, a few issues of Pen World, etc. Overly large pens
with overly large nibs abound, and few enough of them seem to write
worth a damn.
Old May 18th 04, 06:40 PM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

wrote:

Actually, what I primarily don't care for in the Mont Blanc line is that
they're typically available only in a color I detest at a price I
despise.

You can have any color you want as long as it is black. I like that it
can only be filled from an ink well. What other pen made today has a
nib the size of the 149?

As a widow, I'm *so* over black. I never liked it before, either. I am
not going to buy a pen, regardless of price or nib quality, that is
black.

Old May 18th 04, 06:52 PM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

Tim McNamara wrote:
Earl Camembert writes:

You can have any color you want as long as it is black.

Or burgundy. Or white gold. Or... Montblanc isn't Henry Ford.

Yeah, well, the non-black colors are typically *more* expensive, which
is a show-stopper for me.

Pelikan M1000 for one: there are actually many pens with big nibs, if
that's what turns you on. Leaf through a copy of the Fountain Pen
Hospital catalog, a few issues of Pen World, etc. Overly large pens
with overly large nibs abound, and few enough of them seem to write
worth a damn.

I'm a medium pen person myself. The Omas Mezzo 360 is quite a nice size
for me.

Old September 4th 04, 12:35 PM
Strider

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 00:01:19 -0400, Garglemonster
wrote:

the core has a nice nib, but some people really hate the
ergonomics and/or the looks. this is a pen you have to try before
buying, especially if you're on a tight budget.

Actually my complaint is the opposite. Everyone tells me the core has
a stiff nib, I like flexible or I can't tell nibs ( the Targa is it's
nib flexible or not, not enough nib presence to know ).
Old September 4th 04, 01:03 PM
Allen

The Targa and Core nibs would not be considered flexible. A flexible nib is
one that has tines that spread to allow for variation in the line made by
the pen such that one can write script that is vintage or old fashioned.
Only a few people still write in this manner as it takes a lot of patience
and skill.