First time FP buyer/user

Old May 12th 04, 08:05 PM
Bluesea

"Deirdre Saoirse Moen" wrote in message
Bluesea wrote:
However, I'm not about to denigrate a pen like the Safari that, for its
price range, may be an excellent choice for a first time fp buyer/user
provided that person thinks it's a comfortable pen to use.

I found the writing experience with a Safari to be significantly worse
than that of my beloved rubber-bodied Stypens, Yafas, and Auroras. All
but the last were less expensive than the Safari.

Ahh...I've yet to buy any of those as I didn't perceive them as comfortable
and/or they weren't available with fine nibs. It's been awhile so I'll have
to look again.

With pens, it's definitely a case of YMMV .

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old May 13th 04, 03:24 AM
morten

Bluesea wrote:
However, I'm not about to denigrate a pen like the Safari that, for its
price range, may be an excellent choice for a first time fp buyer/user
provided that person thinks it's a comfortable pen to use.

I found the writing experience with a Safari to be significantly worse
than that of my beloved rubber-bodied Stypens, Yafas, and Auroras. All
but the last were less expensive than the Safari.

Nothing against Lamy, (expect for their ink which is bad too -
actually not a bad comparison. The ink comes in a fancy bottle, with
a fancy little roll of paper to wipe the nib - but the ink itself is
runny and watery). Nor against cheapo pens. My daytime desk scribbler
is a yellow Sheaffer student (4 for $5 on ebay). Love it. Has cheapo
character and works really well. The Safari is a big step up though.
It ranks in price higher than a Pelikano (flawless little cheapo) and
just a few bucks under a Prelude or discount Phileas. At that price -
thirty or so times the price of a ebay Sheaffer student - it better
bloody work. Based on the posts I've seen here, looks like most agree
with me that it doesn't.

Go Flames Go!

Old May 13th 04, 07:51 AM
Paul A. Hoadley

On Wed, 12 May 2004 18:52:32 GMT, Bluesea
wrote:

"Paul A. Hoadley" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 May 2004 05:31:08 GMT, Bluesea
wrote:

"Deirdre Saoirse Moen" wrote in message

Guess I was just born to be a pen snob.

Yes, my favorite pen also cost $100.

LOL again! Well, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. My
LAMY is sitting right next to my Mont Blanc, and I still use the LAMY.
:-)

But-but-but...is that a positive reflection of the Lamy or a
negative reflection of the MB? Maybe your $100 pen isn't the right
one for you and you should get another brand evil grin.

:-) Good question. I go through phases. I've only just started using
the Mont Blanc again, as it had been leaking like a sieve for quite a
while (started just after the warranty ran out, of course), and I only
just got it repaired. Anyway, looks like I'm definitely in the
minority as a LAMY Safari fan.

--
Paul.

Logic Squad -- Technical Publishing with XML -- http://logicsquad.net/
Old May 13th 04, 06:27 PM
morten

Geez, sorry about that TRIPLE post!

The browser wan't sending the post, so I had to hit "post" three
times. guess it was sending. Apologies.
Old May 13th 04, 06:52 PM
Bluesea

"morten" wrote in message
m...
Geez, sorry about that TRIPLE post!

The browser wan't sending the post, so I had to hit "post" three
times. guess it was sending. Apologies.

Heh! I was wondering if you were ensuring that we got the "Go Flames Go"
line .

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old May 14th 04, 04:27 AM
Nancy Handy

Bluesea wrote:

"morten" wrote in message
Geez, sorry about that TRIPLE post!
The browser wan't sending the post, so I had to hit "post" three
times. guess it was sending. Apologies.

Heh! I was wondering if you were ensuring that we got the
"Go Flames Go" line .

I thought it was some sports team.
Old May 15th 04, 05:49 PM
Ron Wilbanks

Deirdre Saoirse Moen wrote:
Paul A. Hoadley wrote:

LOL again! Well, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. My
LAMY is sitting right next to my Mont Blanc, and I still use the LAMY.
:-)

I don't like MontBlanc either.

Ditto!

--
Sincerely yours,

Ron Wilbanks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Spam filter: -1 for the real thing!