First time FP buyer/user

Old May 11th 04, 08:47 AM
Bluesea

"morten" wrote in message
m...
I'll definitely second the votes for the LAMY Safari. Cheap, nice
looking (I like black), nib writes nice and smooth.

Actually, I truly hated my Lamy Safari. I wrote with it 3-4 times, then
gave it away.

Wow, another critic. Good to hear. Worst pen I own. Won't start.
Squeaks on any paper. Bad ergonomics. Nib size (been through 3 - at
no cost to me) doesn't have any relation to actual line size.
Safari's suck.

I haven't had my Safari very long, but it's a smooth writer and lays down a
nice fine line the way I like. Starts every time, too. It's not very
comfortable, however, so I usually reach for another pen.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old May 11th 04, 03:20 PM
Paul A. Hoadley

On Tue, 11 May 2004 07:47:50 GMT, Bluesea
wrote:

"morten" wrote in message
m...
I'll definitely second the votes for the LAMY Safari. Cheap, nice
looking (I like black), nib writes nice and smooth.

Actually, I truly hated my Lamy Safari. I wrote with it 3-4
times, then gave it away.

Wow, another critic. Good to hear. Worst pen I own. Won't start.
Squeaks on any paper. Bad ergonomics. Nib size (been through 3 -
at no cost to me) doesn't have any relation to actual line size.
Safari's suck.

I haven't had my Safari very long, but it's a smooth writer and lays
down a nice fine line the way I like. Starts every time, too. It's
not very comfortable, however, so I usually reach for another pen.

LOL! I had no idea it was so widely hated. :-) Still, everyone's
mileage varies, and I'm sticking by my LAMY. Starts every time, never
ever heard it squeak, fells comfortable to me, and I think the medium
nib is quite nice. I guess the lesson is to definitely try before you
buy.

--
Paul.

Logic Squad -- Technical Publishing with XML -- http://logicsquad.net/
Old May 11th 04, 07:34 PM
Bluesea

.. .
wrote:

"morten" wrote in message
[...]

I don't hate the pen and I don't have any intentions of storing it away or
getting rid of it. In fact, I really like it and was planning to get more
until I discovered that other pens are significantly more comfortable for me
over longer periods of time. I still use it for shorter sessions, say, 1/2 a
page or less. When I tried it in the store, I didn't write that much with it
so wasn't aware that longer use would result in discomfort.

Never heard it squeak, either.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old May 11th 04, 08:30 PM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
LOL! I had no idea it was so widely hated. :-) Still, everyone's
mileage varies, and I'm sticking by my LAMY. Starts every time, never
ever heard it squeak, fells comfortable to me, and I think the medium
nib is quite nice. I guess the lesson is to definitely try before you
buy.

I found the pen very scratchy, even in a medium. I couldn't stand
writing with it, it was like nails on chalkboard. Then again, I recently
bought an Omas.

While I like rubber-bodied pens, I've been seduced by finer nibs over
time and find that I really only use the pens that cost $100.

Now, if I could have a really fine pen that was also rubber, I might
have something. I think ebonite's probably my next pen.

Guess I was just born to be a pen snob.

--
_Deirdre http://deirdre.net
"Ideally pacing should look like the stock market for the year 1999, up
Old May 12th 04, 06:31 AM
Bluesea

"Deirdre Saoirse Moen" wrote in message

I found the pen very scratchy, even in a medium. I couldn't stand
writing with it, it was like nails on chalkboard. Then again, I recently
bought an Omas.

While I like rubber-bodied pens, I've been seduced by finer nibs over
time and find that I really only use the pens that cost $100.

Now, if I could have a really fine pen that was also rubber, I might
have something. I think ebonite's probably my next pen.

Guess I was just born to be a pen snob.

Yes, my favorite pen also cost $100.

However, I'm not about to denigrate a pen like the Safari that, for its
price range, may be an excellent choice for a first time fp buyer/user
provided that person thinks it's a comfortable pen to use.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old May 12th 04, 08:41 AM
Paul A. Hoadley

On Wed, 12 May 2004 05:31:08 GMT, Bluesea
wrote:

"Deirdre Saoirse Moen" wrote in message

Guess I was just born to be a pen snob.

Yes, my favorite pen also cost $100.

LOL again! Well, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. My
LAMY is sitting right next to my Mont Blanc, and I still use the LAMY.
:-)

Old May 12th 04, 06:07 PM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

Bluesea wrote:
However, I'm not about to denigrate a pen like the Safari that, for its
price range, may be an excellent choice for a first time fp buyer/user
provided that person thinks it's a comfortable pen to use.

I found the writing experience with a Safari to be significantly worse
than that of my beloved rubber-bodied Stypens, Yafas, and Auroras. All
but the last were less expensive than the Safari.

Old May 12th 04, 06:08 PM
Deirdre Saoirse Moen

Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
LOL again! Well, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. My
LAMY is sitting right next to my Mont Blanc, and I still use the LAMY.
:-)

I don't like MontBlanc either.

Old May 12th 04, 07:52 PM
Bluesea

wrote:

"Deirdre Saoirse Moen" wrote in message

Guess I was just born to be a pen snob.

Yes, my favorite pen also cost $100.

LOL again! Well, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. My
LAMY is sitting right next to my Mont Blanc, and I still use the LAMY.
:-)

But-but-but...is that a positive reflection of the Lamy or a negative
reflection of the MB? Maybe your $100 pen isn't the right one for you and
you should get another brand evil grin.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old May 12th 04, 07:53 PM
Bluesea

Paul A. Hoadley wrote:
LOL again! Well, we're just going to have to agree to disagree. My
LAMY is sitting right next to my Mont Blanc, and I still use the LAMY.
:-)

I don't like MontBlanc either.

I visited a MB boutique 3x during '01-'02 and just couldn't bring myself to
buy one.

--
~~Bluesea~~