Machin query.

Old October 18th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

Default Machin query.

When Arnold sculpted the profile of Her Majesty,
as far as my memory permits, it was in something
similar to plaster, and appeared twice life size and in relief.

This has puzzled me for some time, why would this be so?
If perhaps the image of him was just cleaning up a mould
the question remains, why the need for relief and why so large?

Old October 18th 07, 11:40 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Dominique Stéphan

rodney a écrit:
When Arnold sculpted the profile of Her Majesty,
as far as my memory permits, it was in something
similar to plaster, and appeared twice life size and in relief.

This has puzzled me for some time, why would this be so?
If perhaps the image of him was just cleaning up a mould
the question remains, why the need for relief and why so large?

Hello,

I think it's the way medalist work : by making
a far larger (Machin is quite large !
http://www.blog-philatelie.com/2007/...pe-machin.html )
engraved plaster (in hollow-relief for Machin type).

For coins or medal, a pantograph
is used to get the result at the target size.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantograph
I guess a modern and automatized version)

I know some stamp dies in France where made
that way : a large (twice usually) version
to help produce the stamp-sized die.

--
Cordialement
Dominique Stéphan
Old October 18th 07, 01:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Dominique Stéphan" wrote in message

For coins or medal, a pantograph
is used to get the result at the target size.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantograph
I guess a modern and automatized version)

Thanks Dominique,
understood.
"Pantograph" I have used one, as a kid to
copy heroes images from comics.
Never knew what they were called however
Now it would be just CTRL - on the computer screen

Old October 18th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Douglas Myall

"rodney" wrote in message

"Dominique Stéphan" wrote in message

For coins or medal, a pantograph
is used to get the result at the target size.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantograph
I guess a modern and automatized version)

Thanks Dominique,
understood.
"Pantograph" I have used one, as a kid to
copy heroes images from comics.
Never knew what they were called however
Now it would be just CTRL - on the computer screen

I can send you the two pages from my Machin Handbook as a pdf file if
you let me have your e-mail address. Reply to
but delete one of the t's; the Pipex address will not work.

Douglas

Old October 19th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Douglas Myall" wrote in message

I can send you the two pages from my Machin Handbook as a pdf file if
you let me have your e-mail address. Reply to
but delete one of the t's; the Pipex address will not work.
Douglas

Thank you Douglas,
very generous of you.
Rod

Old October 19th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rodney

"Douglas Myall" wrote in message

I can send you the two pages from my Machin Handbook as a pdf file if
you let me have your e-mail address. Reply to
but delete one of the t's; the Pipex address will not work.
Douglas

Douglas,
please advise if over 1Mb
my client deletes any mail in excess of this limitation.

Old October 19th 07, 01:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gazza

For coins or medal, a pantograph
is used to get the result at the target size.
( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantograph
I guess a modern and automatized version)

I was sure there was also a method of using a latex (or some such) cast
which shrank after it set - but can't find a reference to it.