Roycroft Christmas Carol- Value

Old February 27th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Default Roycroft Christmas Carol- Value

Backstory:

Every year, for the past eight or nine years, I gave my girlfriend a
copy of the "Christmas Carol" I have always tried to give an unusual and
relatively rare copy. It commerates our first Christmas when prior to
going to a local production of "A Christmas Carol" I gave her an
undistinguished copy of the Book.

One year, I happened upon a Roycroft "Christmas Carol" together with
another "Christmas Book"

The Question: As I remember, the Roycroft suede was red (ABE gives the
color as green) and immaculate the other "Christmas Book" was green and
again immaculate.(Both Suede)

Assumimg they are in still the same condition, can anyone give me a
guess on a price. The best ABE can come up with is four hundred dollars
for a relatively tatty copy.

I am as sentimental as the next person (more so probably) but if she
could realise substantial returns or a trade for a more stable volume, I
would like to advise her to do so.

Thank you, Ted
Old February 27th 06, 01:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"Ted Jones" wrote in message

Every year, for the past eight or nine years, I gave my girlfriend

[...]

I am as sentimental as the next person (more so probably)

If you're so sentimental, how come you haven't made an honest woman of this
poor girl after nearly ten years. Bounder.

Old February 27th 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"fundoc" wrote in
news

"Ted Jones" wrote in message

Every year, for the past eight or nine years, I gave my girlfriend

[...]

I am as sentimental as the next person (more so probably)

If you're so sentimental, how come you haven't made an honest woman of
this poor girl after nearly ten years. Bounder.

I am only guilty of attempted matrimony. She said no. So I remain in
this moral morass. Condemned to perpetually purchasing "Christmas
Carol"s
Old February 28th 06, 07:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

fundoc wrote:
"Raja" wrote...
"fundoc" wrote:
"Ted Jones" wrote...

Every year, for the past eight or nine years, I gave my girlfriend[...]
I am as sentimental as the next person (more so probably)

If you're so sentimental, how come you haven't made an honest woman of
this poor girl after nearly ten years. Bounder.

I am only guilty of attempted matrimony. She said no. So I remain in
this moral morass. Condemned to perpetually purchasing "Christmas
Carol"s

Perhaps next year you should get her a copy of Great Expectations.

Which would invite a return gift of _Hard Times_ and _Bleak House_, no
doubt.

--Jon Meyers
Old February 28th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

"fundoc" wrote in news:HSXMf.30055$Zl1.26726
@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

"Raja" wrote in message
"fundoc" wrote in
news

"Ted Jones" wrote in message

Every year, for the past eight or nine years, I gave my girlfriend

[...]

I am as sentimental as the next person (more so probably)

If you're so sentimental, how come you haven't made an honest woman of
this poor girl after nearly ten years. Bounder.

I am only guilty of attempted matrimony. She said no. So I remain in
this moral morass. Condemned to perpetually purchasing "Christmas
Carol"s

Perhaps next year you should get her a copy of Great Expectations.

Already Done and bedore you ask, copies of Bleak House, Hard Times, The
Battle of Life, A Flight, Frozen Deep, The Haunted Man, Holiday Romance,
Hunted Down and The Long Voyage. Unfortunately they were all ensconced
within the complete set of the Gadshill Edition I gave her one Christmas.
The postage was rather impressive as a remember.
Old February 28th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.books

Perhaps next year you should get her a copy of Great Expectations.

Which would invite a return gift of _Hard Times_ and _Bleak House_,
no doubt.

--Jon Meyers

Sorry, when I posted my reply to fundoc, your reply had not yet reached my
news server. Does give me another avenue of entreaty. Have to be more
cautious recently because she is climbing well over 2000 books and lives in
a modest house. I also have to be careful of the books I give her because
"gasp" she has a strange tendency to actually read them.
Old March 1st 06, 04:55 AM posted to rec.collecting.books

Ted Jones wrote:
Perhaps next year you should get her a copy of Great Expectations.

Which would invite a return gift of _Hard Times_ and _Bleak House_,
no doubt.

Sorry, when I posted my reply to fundoc, your reply had not yet reached my
news server. Does give me another avenue of entreaty. Have to be more
cautious recently because she is climbing well over 2000 books and lives in
a modest house. I also have to be careful of the books I give her because
"gasp" she has a strange tendency to actually read them.

Perhaps it's time to dispense with Dickens, who was, it should be
pointed out, less than sanguine on the subject of romantic love;
fundoc's suggestion of _Great Expectations_ is likely to have the
opposite of the desired effect. Move on to another writer. I suggest
Walter Scott: _The Betrothed_ and _The Bride of Lammermoor_. And hope
she doesn't respond with _The Abbot_ and _The Monastery_.

--Jon Meyers