(RCSD) Movies and Stamps

Old January 16th 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Default (RCSD) Movies and Stamps

The film The Edge of the World (1937) is based on the real life
(1930) evacuation of "Hirta" one of the Outer Hebrides islands
that forms St Kilda). The film was made on another island Foula.

Not much philately, but in the film we see the Post Office and
a letter plays a prominent role in the story.

St Kilda is much better known today for its "stamps" or
carriage labels.

http://www.gm3vlb.com/qsls_stamps/im...kilda_gm5k.jpg
http://www.gm3vlb.com/qsls_stamps/im...kilda_gm5k.jpg

http://i4.ebayimg.com/03/s/000/77/3d/6f18_2.JPG
http://i9.ebayimg.com/06/s/000/77/3d/6f25_2.JPG
http://i16.ebayimg.com/03/s/000/77/3d/6f07_2.JPG

Some GB stamps have also shown St Kilda.
http://worldheritage.heindorffhus.dk...and-medium.jpg

Birds of St Kilda
http://worldheritage.heindorffhus.dk...-set-small.jpg

There is also a record album related to St Kilda mails.
http://www.musicweb-international.co...04/gillies.jpg

Blair
Old January 16th 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

St Kilda
More "stamps"
more birds, a vole, and one you posted before IIRC
St Kilda Viking Scholarship fund
http://cjoint.com/data/braPQdnunV.htm

St Kilda is much better known today for its "stamps" or
carriage labels.

....and in Aus, it's footy team.

Old January 17th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Jan 16, 6:44 pm, "rodney" wrote:
St Kilda
More "stamps"
more birds, a vole, and one you posted before IIRC
St Kilda Viking Scholarship fundhttp://cjoint.com/data/braPQdnunV.htm

St Kilda is much better known today for its "stamps" or
carriage labels.

...and in Aus, it's footy team.

Hi Rodney:

I believe that the first settlers in St Kilda (Aus) had roots
in St Kilda , Scotland.

BTW what is the big fuss over your cricket teams?

http://www.footystamps.com/images/Cr...G/b_crifdc.jpg

Sounds like some shenanigans going in Sydney.
http://www.footystamps.com/images/Cr...cr_met_scg.jpg

What happened at the test match with India?
http://www.cricketstamp.net/200a%20A...LD%20C UP.jpg
http://www.cricketstamp.net/215%20IN...SOCIAITION.jpg

Blair

Old January 17th 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Jan 16, 6:44 pm, "rodney" wrote:
St Kilda
More "stamps"
more birds, a vole, and one you posted before IIRC
St Kilda Viking Scholarship fundhttp://cjoint.com/data/braPQdnunV.htm

St Kilda is much better known today for its "stamps" or
carriage labels.

...and in Aus, it's footy team.

Here is a cover showing the Australian stamp issued for St Kilda's
Football Club.
http://www.footystamps.com/images/20...er/b_strh1.jpg

By the way, I know that rugby, soccer and Australian rules are
all played in Australia. Which is referred to as footy? Is is AR? or
all.

Blair
Old January 18th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

BTW what is the big fuss over your cricket teams?

A case of the "Ugly Australian" raising it's head,
I side fully with the Indians, the match in question was disgraceful,
Once we had "statesmen" as our cricket captains, now we have
gum chewing, obscenity mouthing person who just happens to
be an outstanding batsman.
One player was caught, he knew he had hit the ball but did
not "walk", and went on to make 162.
Cricket is not only a game of skill, but a game of character
and that was sadly missing.

If you don't think it matters, one only has to coach the youngsters
and see how bad behaviour flows as example.

(My opinion only

Old January 18th 08, 01:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Here is a cover showing the Australian stamp issued for St Kilda's
Football Club.
http://www.footystamps.com/images/20...er/b_strh1.jpg

talking about statesmen,
well that cover shows an out and out champion of the game
someone we would all aspire to emulate.

By the way, I know that rugby, soccer and Australian rules are
all played in Australia. Which is referred to as footy? Is is AR? or
all.
Blair

Not sure I can answer that Blair, old street venacular would have
Aussie rules as "footy" and football as "Soccer", but football is
becoming very popular now and there would be strong arguments
for and against.
Personally, speaking to an Englishman, or Italian or Thai, I would use
football,
and to an Aussie, soccer
Running it past my 13yo, "footy" per se, at school, always means the "prune"
or the oval ball.

Old January 18th 08, 06:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

"Blair
BTW what is the big fuss over your cricket teams?

BTW Blair,
we shall be watching with interest tomorrow, if our 13yo
hits 20 runs or more, without dismissal, he will be on a higher
batting average than the legendary Sir Donald Bradman at 99.67 IIRC.
(we did fudge a little, for the avg for seniors, who must have completed 20
innings
Cody is currently on 91

(guess) Andy Roberts (west indies) bowling to a classic field.
http://cjoint.com/data/bshv7Rmig1.htm

Old January 18th 08, 09:42 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Joshua McGee

For people interested in philatelic films, Howard Summers wrote a slim
volume called "The Philatelic Filmography" (http://
www.rosland.freeserve.co.uk/book.htm).

I own a copy, and can recommend it.

It's available for a few pounds from the author at the site linked to
above.

- Joshua McGee
http://www.mcgees.org

Old January 18th 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Jan 18, 1:31 am, "rodney" wrote:
"Blair

BTW what is the big fuss over your cricket teams?

BTW Blair,
we shall be watching with interest tomorrow, if our 13yo
hits 20 runs or more, without dismissal, he will be on a higher
batting average than the legendary Sir Donald Bradman at 99.67 IIRC.
(we did fudge a little, for the avg for seniors, who must have completed 20
innings
Cody is currently on 91

(guess) Andy Roberts (west indies) bowling to a classic field.http://cjoint.com/data/bshv7Rmig1.htm

Wish Cory "Good Luck" for me.