(RCSD) Stamp images to Flash Drive

Old January 7th 08, 12:12 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Default (RCSD) Stamp images to Flash Drive

I had some stamp images stored in 'My Documents' that had the size and
brightness enhanced using Photoimpression and were in the form of
Bitmap and JPG.
I sent the folder to my new Flash Drive but when I checked the files
they had changed to Paint and reverted to the original size and drab
format.
Anyone got a clue?

Thanks,

Ralphael, the OLD one
Old January 7th 08, 12:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

G'day Ralphael,
sounds like a "File Association" problem.

If you have XP, go to Start / Control Panel / Folder options / File Types
let it browse and load, scroll down till you get to JPG
then see what program is delegated to open these. if need be select
"change" and
select the program that you normally use to view images
(eg mine is set for ACDSee)
When you click "change" make sure to tick "always use the selected program
to open these files"

Good luck

Old January 7th 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

On Jan 7, 7:52*am, "rodney" wrote:
G'day Ralphael,
sounds like a "File Association" problem.

If you have XP, go to Start / Control Panel / Folder options / File Types
let it browse and load, scroll down till you get to JPG
then see what program is delegated to open these. *if need be select
"change" and
select the program that you normally use to view images
(eg mine is set for ACDSee)
When you click "change" make sure to tick "always use the selected program
to open these files"

Good luck

snipped text.

OK Rodney, I took a look in the direction you pointed me to, I didn't
make any changes at this time.
The JPEG works with Windows Pictures & Fax Viewer.
The JPG works with Photoimpression. I like the Photoimpression because
I can easily make changes and save them.
The BMP I work with sometimes also uses Photoimpression. I just don't
see how using the Flash Drive would cause the images to be Paint
format and revert back to the default size. Paint stinks when it
comes to making changes as far as I am concerned.

Thanks

RtOo
Old January 7th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Sounds like you need to use photoimpression with your images
but I am not au fait with that program.

A free image viewer that comes with good reviews is
http://www.irfanview.com/

I recently tried MSPaint to engineer puncture marks for images for a perfin
catalogue,
and I find that program near useless.

Free lite "Paint" programs a Paint.NET
http://www.getpaint.net:80/index.html

or "The Gimp"
http://www.gimp.org/

For more in depth advice on your problem, use OE to subscribe to
the Microsoft server, and post your queries to the
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general newsgroup

I make it a practice to use thumb drives to transport files from hard disk
to hard disk
using a thumb drive to open programs runs a risk of corrupting files imho.
HTH

Old January 8th 08, 05:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
SkySea[_3_]

Two ideas:
1) You copied the wrong folder (look around your hard drive for the
files you enhanced, and ascertain the path there).
2) You had copied the folder before, and when trying to recopy it
(the final backup), answered "No", you didn't want to overwrite the
files when prompted.

In 24 years of computing, I've never seen a copy process cause data to
revert to an older format, and can't think offhand of any process that
could allow that to happen outside the editing software. But I've seen
copying errors on literally countless occasions that could explain
exactly what you describe.

Ralphael1 wrote:
I had some stamp images stored in 'My Documents' that had the size and
brightness enhanced using Photoimpression and were in the form of
Bitmap and JPG.
I sent the folder to my new Flash Drive but when I checked the files
they had changed to Paint and reverted to the original size and drab
format.
Anyone got a clue?

Thanks,

Ralphael, the OLD one

=============
- Dale Gombert (SkySea at aol.com)
122.38W, 47.58N, W. Seattle, WA
Old January 8th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
John DeBoo

You mean that a computer might do exactly what we tell it to doG?
Nah, say it ain't so Joe. During my career I found that almost every
'glitch' was caused by human interpretation or intervention, seldom by
the computer. It doesn't get happy, it doesn't get sad, it just runs
programs - just like we tell it to.
John D.

Old January 8th 08, 06:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

Ralphael1 wrote:
I had some stamp images stored in 'My Documents' that had the size and
brightness enhanced using Photoimpression and were in the form of
Bitmap and JPG.
I sent the folder to my new Flash Drive but when I checked the files
they had changed to Paint and reverted to the original size and drab
format.
Anyone got a clue?

Thanks,

Ralphael, the OLD one

=============
- Dale Gombert (SkySea at aol.com)
122.38W, 47.58N, W. Seattle, WA

I am a bit skeptical here Dale. I udnerstand what you are saying and
have never encountered this problem before. I have never used Paint
and the pictures I tweaked some pictures using Photoimpression, saved
them to My Documents then sent to the Flash Drive. The picyures had
nothing to do with Paint yet they went on the Flash drive as Paint.
(beats-the-hell-outta-me.)

Thanks for your input,

RtOo
Old January 8th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

SkySea wrote:
Two ideas:
*1) You copied the wrong folder (look around your hard drive for the
files you enhanced, and ascertain the path there).
*2) You had copied the folder before, and when trying to recopy it
(the final backup), answered "No", you didn't want to overwrite the
files when prompted.

In 24 years of computing, I've never seen a copy process cause data to
revert to an older format, and can't think offhand of any process that
could allow that to happen outside the editing software. But I've seen
copying errors on literally countless occasions that could explain
exactly what you describe.- Hide quoted text -

Old January 8th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
SkySea[_3_]

Is it possible that you saved your images from Photoimpression
directly to the flash drive, then copied the ones from My Documents to
the Flash drive, overwriting them?

Check for a default saved location in your editing softwares, or look
at the recently-edited list in the software and check the path
(they're usually listed in the "File" pull-down). That might give a
clue.