"Mischievous" banknote slogans anger Zimbabwe govt.

Old January 16th 05, 02:45 AM
stonej

Default "Mischievous" banknote slogans anger Zimbabwe govt.

http://www.sabcnews.com/africa/south...,95231,00.html

Old January 16th 05, 06:11 AM
Padraic Brown

On 15 Jan 2005 17:45:05 -0800, "stonej"
wrote:

http://www.sabcnews.com/africa/south...,95231,00.html

And here I thought the story was going to involve some sexual double
entendre. Well, I guess the "government coming down hard" on the
miscreants might be so construed; but I hardly see how innocuous
political slogans like "get up, stand up [stand up for your rights]"
can be called "mischevious".

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old January 16th 05, 02:03 PM
Tony Clayton

wrote:

http://www.sabcnews.com/africa/south...,95231,00.html

And here I thought the story was going to involve some sexual double
entendre. Well, I guess the "government coming down hard" on the
miscreants might be so construed; but I hardly see how innocuous
political slogans like "get up, stand up [stand up for your rights]"
can be called "mischevious".

Anything interpreted as critical of the Mugabe regime is considered
'mischevious' by them, if not treasonable.

He makes Saddam look benign...(IMHO)

--
Tony Clayton or
Coins of the UK :
Old January 16th 05, 04:36 PM
Rick B.

Padraic Brown wrote in
news
wrote:

http://www.sabcnews.com/africa/south...,95231,00.html

And here I thought the story was going to involve some sexual double
entendre. Well, I guess the "government coming down hard" on the
miscreants might be so construed; but I hardly see how innocuous
political slogans like "get up, stand up [stand up for your rights]"
can be called "mischevious".

The story said that condom wrappers were also stamped. Now, putting
"get up, stand up" on *those*...
Old January 16th 05, 07:07 PM
richard schumacher

In article . com,
"stonej" wrote:

http://www.sabcnews.com/africa/south...,95231,00.html

Robert Mugabe is a nasty **** with no sense of humor, the head of a
government of thugs. I salute the stampers of the notes for their
courage.
Old January 17th 05, 08:39 AM
Michael G. Koerner

richard schumacher wrote:

In article . com,
"stonej" wrote:

http://www.sabcnews.com/africa/south...,95231,00.html

Robert Mugabe is a nasty **** with no sense of humor, the head of a
government of thugs. I salute the stampers of the notes for their
courage.

I guess that we won't be seeing a http://www.wheresgeorge.com section
opening up for Zimbabwe in the forseeable future.

sigh...

--
___________________________________________ ____ _______________
Regards, | |\ ____
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | | _______________
Old January 17th 05, 05:48 PM
Ed Hendricks

"NoSpam" wrote in message
"stonej" wrote
http://www.sabcnews.com/africa/south...,95231,00.html

I recently learned about countermarkings on coins and I know only of
another 'political' case involving Ireland and the resistance
movement. Is there any other political countermark cases for coins?

I have a Chinese dollar coin which is counterstruck on the obverse with
Hammer and Sickle in canceled circle and many Chinese characters and on the
reverse with Hammer and Sickle in canceled circle and the words "China
Freedom Dollar, Support the Federation, save the Students". I believe the
coin to be from the Szechuan-Shensi Soviet District of China circa 1933-34
(KANN#650K) and the counterstrikes to have been made in support of the
students who protested at Tiananmen Square in 1989 and was sold to
Westerners to raise money for their cause. If anyone is interested, I will
try to locate it and scan/photograph it.

--
©¿©¬
~