Looters take coin collection in wake of Hurricane Ivan

Old September 18th 04, 01:49 PM
JSTONE9352

Default Looters take coin collection in wake of Hurricane Ivan

The dirty rotten low
lifes...http://vh10066.v1.moc.gbahn.net/apps...e?AID=/2004091
8/NEWS01/40918003/1075
Old September 18th 04, 02:11 PM
Dan769

Link didn't work. But I believe looters should be shot on site.

Dan769
Old September 18th 04, 02:52 PM
A.Gent

"Dan769" wrote in message
Link didn't work. But I believe looters should be shot on site.

Dan769

try
http://vh10066.v1.moc.gbahn.net/apps.../40918003/1075

Old September 18th 04, 03:14 PM
Bob Peterson

That's not very liberal of you. Why do you need all those coins?

Old September 18th 04, 04:18 PM
Edward McGrath

They should have had their coins in a safety deposit box at the bank.
Now the looters will be spending vintage coins on colt45 and cigarettes.
If you know a hurricane is coming and you had to evacuate the area what
possesions would you take out of your house and leave with?

Old September 18th 04, 04:48 PM
Bruce Remick

"Edward McGrath" wrote in message
They should have had their coins in a safety deposit box at the bank.
Now the looters will be spending vintage coins on colt45 and cigarettes.
If you know a hurricane is coming and you had to evacuate the area what
possesions would you take out of your house and leave with?

Are you implying it might have been better to have left some six packs of
Colt .45 and cartons of cigarettes visible in the house so looters would be
able to take them and avoid the extra step of having to take money to buy
them? I feel sorry for anyone who keeps a collection of (whatever) at home
because it can't be conveniently stored in a bank vault, and which may have
to be left behind in an emergency evacuation situation. The unscrupulous
looters who prey on these stressed-out homeowners are the ones who should
shoulder the blame and punishment, not the victimized collector-homeowner.

Bruce

Old September 18th 04, 05:48 PM
Padraic Brown

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 11:48:54 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

"Edward McGrath" wrote in message
They should have had their coins in a safety deposit box at the bank.
Now the looters will be spending vintage coins on colt45 and cigarettes.
If you know a hurricane is coming and you had to evacuate the area what
possesions would you take out of your house and leave with?

Are you implying it might have been better to have left some six packs of
Colt .45 and cartons of cigarettes visible in the house so looters would be
able to take them and avoid the extra step of having to take money to buy
them?

Not a bad idea. Decoys often work on other dumb animals...

I feel sorry for anyone who keeps a collection of (whatever) at home
because it can't be conveniently stored in a bank vault, and which may have
to be left behind in an emergency evacuation situation.

Depends on your "collecting" philosophy. Most people who actually
collect things - be they coins or stamps or toy trains - like to
actually enjoy seeing, holding, playing with, etc those items that
they collect. Putting a coin collection in a bank vault is, in my
opinion, contrary to "collecting".

I would rather sell such coins to someone who would enjoy them, put
the money in stocks and take a trip to a local museum or coin shop to
just look at my vast "virtual coin collection".

Mind you, putting valuables into a home safe while vacationing or
evacuating would not be a bad idea for folks who choose to live in
obviously troubling locations like coastal Florida.

The unscrupulous
looters who prey on these stressed-out homeowners are the ones who should
shoulder the blame and punishment, not the victimized collector-homeowner.

Obviously! I think this was the OP's point when he said the looters
ought to be shot.

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old September 18th 04, 09:57 PM
Bruce Remick

wrote:

[...]

I feel exactly the same. I also would feel uncomfortable hauling my
valuable collectables in a cardboard box to an emergency shelter and either
leaving them in the car or sleeping with them. This fear is something we
collectors just have to put up with as best we can

I would rather sell such coins to someone who would enjoy them, put
the money in stocks and take a trip to a local museum or coin shop to
just look at my vast "virtual coin collection".

I'd have a hard time doing that for security reasons alone. I would almost
feel that the looters & thieves had beaten me without actually committing a
crime.

Mind you, putting valuables into a home safe while vacationing or
evacuating would not be a bad idea for folks who choose to live in
obviously troubling locations like coastal Florida.

That's about the only practical solution for many collectors, especially
those own expensive jewelry and who collect "small" things like coins,
stamps, cards, etc. A safe is a must for our most valuable possessions.

The unscrupulous
looters who prey on these stressed-out homeowners are the ones who should
shoulder the blame and punishment, not the victimized

collector-homeowner.

Obviously! I think this was the OP's point when he said the looters
ought to be shot.

I gathered that. It's frustrating though to think that underage looters
will simply be slapped and handed to their parents.

Bruce

Old September 18th 04, 11:02 PM
Padraic Brown

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:57:01 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

Depends on your "collecting" philosophy. Most people who actually
collect things - be they coins or stamps or toy trains - like to
actually enjoy seeing, holding, playing with, etc those items that
they collect. Putting a coin collection in a bank vault is, in my
opinion, contrary to "collecting".

I feel exactly the same. I also would feel uncomfortable hauling my
valuable collectables in a cardboard box to an emergency shelter and either
leaving them in the car or sleeping with them. This fear is something we
collectors just have to put up with as best we can

Frankly, leaving the collection in a box buried under lots of other
stuff in the car at the shelter is better than leaving it in the
abandonned house.

There are always choices to be made. Under normal circumstances, there
would be no worries. In times like Floridian collectors have recently
undergone, there is no good decision. After all, a bank building is
not usually much stronger than a decently built house - it will be
just as liable to collapse and destruction. And certainly a primce
target of looters!

I would rather sell such coins to someone who would enjoy them, put
the money in stocks and take a trip to a local museum or coin shop to
just look at my vast "virtual coin collection".

I'd have a hard time doing that for security reasons alone.

What security reasons? Sure, Al Queeda might dicide to drop a bomb on
the day you visit the museum - but that just gets into needless
paranoia.

I would almost
feel that the looters & thieves had beaten me without actually committing a
crime.

??? Are we on the same wavelength here?

The unscrupulous
looters who prey on these stressed-out homeowners are the ones who should
shoulder the blame and punishment, not the victimized

collector-homeowner.

Obviously! I think this was the OP's point when he said the looters
ought to be shot.

I gathered that. It's frustrating though to think that underage looters
will simply be slapped and handed to their parents.

Personally, I don't see why they can't be shot and THEN handed over to
their parents.

Old September 19th 04, 02:31 AM
Bruce Remick

wrote:

[...]

I meant that I would not sell my coin collection just to free myself of the
worry that someone might steal or loot it one day. I thought that was what
you were getting at.

I would almost
feel that the looters & thieves had beaten me without actually committing

crime.

??? Are we on the same wavelength here?

Dunno. It's akin to terrorism, where we say we won't "let the terrorists
win", when in truth they have already restricted our lifestyles and have us
dangling on a nervous string. They may not have "won" but they have us
looking over our shoulders like never before. Didn't mean to so political
here

The unscrupulous
looters who prey on these stressed-out homeowners are the ones who

should
shoulder the blame and punishment, not the victimized

collector-homeowner.

Obviously! I think this was the OP's point when he said the looters
ought to be shot.

I gathered that. It's frustrating though to think that underage looters
will simply be slapped and handed to their parents.

Personally, I don't see why they can't be shot and THEN handed over to
their parents.

Either way would work for me.

Bruce