Tintin

Old March 14th 04, 11:05 AM
Christian Feldhaus

Default Tintin

Got a new coin yesterday; the birthday it commemorates is a fairly
special one ... "Tintin and Snowy", or "Kuifje en Bobbie", or "Tintin et
Milou", just got 75. Pretty good for such a young man - and even more so
for a little dog.

Here is a picture (not mine) of the coin and the folder:
http://www.honscha.de/bilder/10b04g.jpg

The coin - a 10 euro piece from Belgium - may not be awfully artistic in
terms of design, but I remember those comic books! Since the artist
(Hergé) died a couple of years ago, there won't be any new Tintin
adventures. But the characters are, especially in Belgium, still very
popular. Don't know if they were well-known outside Europe, but I liked
them, and why not buy a coin for sentimental reasons ... ;-)

Christian
Old March 14th 04, 12:31 PM
Dale Hallmark

"Christian Feldhaus" wrote in message
Got a new coin yesterday; the birthday it commemorates is a fairly
special one ... "Tintin and Snowy", or "Kuifje en Bobbie", or "Tintin et
Milou", just got 75. Pretty good for such a young man - and even more so
for a little dog.

Here is a picture (not mine) of the coin and the folder:
http://www.honscha.de/bilder/10b04g.jpg

The coin - a 10 euro piece from Belgium - may not be awfully artistic in
terms of design, but I remember those comic books! Since the artist
(Hergé) died a couple of years ago, there won't be any new Tintin
adventures. But the characters are, especially in Belgium, still very
popular. Don't know if they were well-known outside Europe, but I liked
them, and why not buy a coin for sentimental reasons ... ;-)

Nice. Those are the type of non-US coins that I find attractive. Ones that
reveal
a little something of the culture of the issuing country. Do you still have
any of the comic books?

Dale
--
My site:
http://www.austriancoins.com

Old March 14th 04, 01:22 PM
Kaleb KEITHLEY

Christian Feldhaus wrote:

Got a new coin yesterday; the birthday it commemorates is a fairly
special one ... "Tintin and Snowy", or "Kuifje en Bobbie", or "Tintin et
Milou" ... Don't know if they were well-known outside Europe, but I liked
them, and why not buy a coin for sentimental reasons ... ;-)

Yes, they're known outside Europe. I first saw them (and Asterix and
Obelix, and others) while living in South Africa, where they were quite
popular. They are known here in the U.S. although they're not as popular
as other comic books, probably because they're not marketed as intensely
as the others.

--

Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
Old March 14th 04, 02:08 PM
The Silver Jar...

The coin - a 10 euro piece from Belgium - may not be awfully artistic in
terms of design, but I remember those comic books! Since the artist
(Hergé) died a couple of years ago, there won't be any new Tintin
adventures. But the characters are, especially in Belgium, still very
popular. Don't know if they were well-known outside Europe, but I liked
them, and why not buy a coin for sentimental reasons ... ;-)

Christian

Actually TinTin is quitye well know in England, i'd even go as far to
say quite popular!

I know for a fact i used to watch the program when i was a young!

Sylvester.
Old March 14th 04, 03:32 PM
Sir Sisu

I'm familiar with the character, but have not read any of the stories
myself. I do have friends that are fans of Tintin. A similar themed coin
will be released in Finland later this year celebrating Tove Jansson and her
comic creations, the Moomins. These are perhaps not so familiar in Europe
but they are popular in Japan for example, and here in Finland of course.
I don't have any images of the coin as of yet. It'll most likely be a 10
Euro coin as well. As soon as I learn how to post some pics somewhere on the
net, I'll try and post an image. I still think the design contest for the
coin is still ongoing.

Harri

Old March 14th 04, 03:46 PM
James McCown

(Christian Feldhaus) wrote in message ...
Got a new coin yesterday; the birthday it commemorates is a fairly
special one ... "Tintin and Snowy", or "Kuifje en Bobbie", or "Tintin et
Milou", just got 75. Pretty good for such a young man - and even more so
for a little dog.

Here is a picture (not mine) of the coin and the folder:
http://www.honscha.de/bilder/10b04g.jpg

The coin - a 10 euro piece from Belgium - may not be awfully artistic in
terms of design, but I remember those comic books! Since the artist
(Hergé) died a couple of years ago, there won't be any new Tintin
adventures. But the characters are, especially in Belgium, still very
popular. Don't know if they were well-known outside Europe, but I liked
them, and why not buy a coin for sentimental reasons ... ;-)

Christian

Es sieht wie dort ist eine grosse Bohrung im Diagramm aus, in dem die
Schweiz sein sollte. Ich bezweifele den, der die Schweizer in das
Verlassen ihres geliebten Franc und in das Annehmen des Euros
überzeugt.
Old March 14th 04, 04:13 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Dale Hallmark wrote:

Nice. Those are the type of non-US coins that I find attractive. Ones
that reveal a little something of the culture of the issuing country. Do
you still have any of the comic books?

Alas, no. The few that I had fell victims to some de-junking activity a
few years ago :-) Admittedly Tintin was not my favorite comic book hero
anyway (Asterix and Donald Duck were g) but the stories were
interesting and, more important, I found the dog cute ...

Christian
Old March 14th 04, 04:35 PM
Aladdin Sane

I have quite a collection of Tintin comics when they were re-issued in the
1980's. I may have to get one of these coins.

--
*
/?\

A conclusion is simply the place
where you decided to stop thinking.

Old March 14th 04, 07:01 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Sir Sisu wrote:

A similar themed coin will be released in Finland later this year
celebrating Tove Jansson and her comic creations, the Moomins. These are
perhaps not so familiar in Europe but they are popular in Japan for
example, and here in Finland of course. I don't have any images of the
coin as of yet. It'll most likely be a 10 Euro coin as well. As soon as I
learn how to post some pics somewhere on the net, I'll try and post an
image. I still think the design contest for the coin is still ongoing.

Will be interesting to see that one :-) I read about it but have not
seen any "official word", from the government or mint, regarding the
Moomins coin ...

As for the image, you could either post a link here (if a picture is
online somewhere else), or use a service such as fotango.com to create
an "album". There is also a newsgroup (somewhere in the
alt.binaries.pictures.* hierarchy) but I don't know how many news
servers carry that group. The one that I use does not.

Christian
Old March 14th 04, 07:01 PM
Christian Feldhaus

Aladdin Sane wrote:

I have quite a collection of Tintin comics when they were re-issued in the
1980's. I may have to get one of these coins.

Be aware, though, that despite the "10 euro" denomination, the coin will
be more expensive. As far as such collectors coins are concerned, the
Belgian mint issues proof pieces only; I paid about ¤30 for mine ...

Christian