Classifying non-circulating non-legal tender papermoney

Old October 24th 03, 11:53 PM
Darren Turnbull

"Padraic Brown" wrote in message
On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:07:46 +0000 (UTC), Darren
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 15:04:43 -0400, Padraic Brown
wrote:

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 08:24:51 -0400, "Scottishmoney"
wrote:

"Darren" wrote in message

Scotland is not a different country(!)

Tell that to a Scot, rather to his face.

Quite.

I wouldn't go as far to say Scotland is part of England,

Though you just did! "It's not a different country" = "It's the same
country", in case you're wondering.

I never said Scotland was part of England. You're getting your England,
Great Britain, United Kingdom, British Isles, British Empire, Wales,
Scotland, Ireland/Eire/Irish Free State, Northern Ireland/Ulster/Six
Counties confused.

The 'country' is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
United refers to the Act of Union a couple of hundred years ago, doesn't it?
This joined Scotland and England, of course the Kings of England were from
Scotland a hundred years before that and from Germany a hundred years after.
It's really all rather simple

Just don't think it's as simple as Scotland being part of England, that's
all.

but I be interested if anyone is planning to follow Scotland's progress

at the
Olympics next year, or England's for that matter.

I don't know. Are they planning on sending separate teams, then? I
suspect the Scots and the English would follow their progress with
some interest. Why? Do you think they wouldn't?

I don't think they've ever sent separate teams, or ever planned to. The team
is Great Britain, wonder if there are any people from Northern Ireland in
it... confusing don't you think? Of course The football (soccer) teams are
England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, there is no Great Britain or
UK football team. It means that there has to remain a Football Association
for the various 'countries' and some form of league. This doesn't apply to
atheletics, although I've just wondered whether football is played at the
Olympics and where the GB team would come from...

And there are still no banknotes in Scotland that are legal tender (nor from
Northern Ireland for that matter)

Thanks
Darren

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.

Old October 25th 03, 12:44 AM
Scottishmoney

"Darren Turnbull" wrote in message
I never said Scotland was part of England. You're getting your England,
Great Britain, United Kingdom, British Isles, British Empire, Wales,
Scotland, Ireland/Eire/Irish Free State, Northern Ireland/Ulster/Six
Counties confused.

Gees, your British and you left out...

Isle of Man, Guernesey, Jersey, Alderney, Rockall, the Kingdom of Fife, the
Isle of Wight, Lundy, Cornwall, Sealand(had to through that in for laughs
Vauxhall, the Isle of Bernera, and most importantly the West End Girls of
London.

Mygees, nah trah an' quote me some obscure locations here in these 'Merican
States whay don'na yah?

And there are still no banknotes in Scotland that are legal tender (nor

from
Northern Ireland for that matter)

BoE 10/- and £1 notes were legal tender in Scawttyland, that was until the
demise of the 10/- note in 1969 with the intro of the 50p and the £1 note in
the 1980's. Now nothing is.

Northern Ireland is a mess currency wise, and otherwise too as we all well
know. I think one of the banks prints fivers, but the other three do not.
Euro notes are accepted readily there, my sis remembers spending them in NI
when she was there last year. I asked her to save me some NI quid, but not
being the obedient younger sis, she did not of course.

Dave

Old October 25th 03, 12:52 AM
Padraic Brown

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 22:53:44 +0000 (UTC), "Darren Turnbull"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

"Darren" wrote in message

Scotland is not a different country(!)

Tell that to a Scot, rather to his face.

Quite.

I wouldn't go as far to say Scotland is part of England,

Though you just did! "It's not a different country" = "It's the same
country", in case you're wondering.

I never said Scotland was part of England. You're getting your England,
Great Britain, United Kingdom, British Isles, British Empire, Wales,
Scotland, Ireland/Eire/Irish Free State, Northern Ireland/Ulster/Six
Counties confused.

You said it "wasn't a different country". That can only mean a limited
number of things. UK/GB/etc. notwithstanding.

confusing don't you think?

Not especially.

Old October 25th 03, 10:19 AM
Darren

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 19:52:52 -0400, Padraic Brown
wrote:

You said it "wasn't a different country". That can only mean a limited
number of things. UK/GB/etc. notwithstanding.

So what is a country then, by your definition?

confusing don't you think?

Not especially.

I think so...

Old October 25th 03, 01:47 PM
Darren

I never said Scotland was part of England. You're getting your England,
Great Britain, United Kingdom, British Isles, British Empire, Wales,
Scotland, Ireland/Eire/Irish Free State, Northern Ireland/Ulster/Six
Counties confused.

Gees, your British and you left out...

Actually I'm English

Isle of Man, Guernesey, Jersey, Alderney, Rockall, the Kingdom of Fife, the
Isle of Wight, Lundy, Cornwall, Sealand(had to through that in for laughs
Vauxhall, the Isle of Bernera, and most importantly the West End Girls of
London.

Lindisfarne, Shetland Islands, Sark, Sicly Isles, Isle of Dogs(!), the
Bigg Market on a Saturday night, although that is almost another
planet!

Mygees, nah trah an' quote me some obscure locations here in these 'Merican
States whay don'na yah?

Mmm... let me see, every where gets a little obscure after Virginia,
New England and Pennsylvania... but after a little thought Guam,
Midway, Samoa, Puerto Rico and one I learnt from school Kingman Reef
(great name) Of course then there's that other place with the Austrian
King.

And there are still no banknotes in Scotland that are legal tender (nor

from
Northern Ireland for that matter)

BoE 10/- and £1 notes were legal tender in Scawttyland, that was until the
demise of the 10/- note in 1969 with the intro of the 50p and the £1 note in
the 1980's. Now nothing is.

So would it be correct to state that the BoE One Pound Note was the
last bank note to be legal tender in Scotland?

Northern Ireland is a mess currency wise, and otherwise too as we all well
know. I think one of the banks prints fivers, but the other three do not.
Euro notes are accepted readily there, my sis remembers spending them in NI
when she was there last year. I asked her to save me some NI quid, but not
being the obedient younger sis, she did not of course.

I think Northern Ireland has a few other more pressing problems than
it's banknotes. But that sister of yours... cuh!

Dave

Darren

Old October 25th 03, 09:56 PM
Scottishmoney

"Darren" wrote in message
Gees, your British and you left out...

Actually I'm English

Poor thing, we'll pray for you.

Dave

Old October 26th 03, 03:26 AM
Padraic Brown

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:56:21 -0400, "Scottishmoney"
wrote:

"Darren" wrote in message
Gees, your British and you left out...

Actually I'm English

Poor thing, we'll pray for you.

Aye, it is our Christian duty to pray for the less fortunate.

Old October 26th 03, 06:25 PM
Darren Turnbull

"Darren" wrote in message
Gees, your British and you left out...

Actually I'm English

Poor thing, we'll pray for you.

Aye, it is our Christian duty to pray for the less fortunate.

Protestant prayers I hope.... it's a little close to our annual burning of
the Catholic ritual...

Old October 26th 03, 07:01 PM
Scottishmoney

Protestant prayers I hope.... it's a little close to our annual burning of
the Catholic ritual...

Guy Fawkes is still being roasted, some 398 years later? You'd have thought
he would be ashes by now.

Dave

Old October 28th 03, 04:44 PM
Darren

Protestant prayers I hope.... it's a little close to our annual burning of
the Catholic ritual...

Guy Fawkes is still being roasted, some 398 years later? You'd have thought
he would be ashes by now.

I think it must be a Scottish thing... what would I know!

Mind you I'd have thought they'd have come up with dipping him in
batter and deep frying him by now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/654750.stm

Legal and Tax Reasons?? autographs Beverwyk Autographs 5 February 4th 04 03:14 AM
"Legal Tender" Larry Louks Coins 23 August 11th 03 08:45 PM
Tender Tails and Other Precious Moments Beanies and Plush for Sale Donna General 0 July 19th 03 03:54 PM