Does the Federal Reserve try to keep gold prices down ?

Old September 30th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

Default Does the Federal Reserve try to keep gold prices down ?

I've heard that the fed or someone continuously buys and floods the
market with gold in order to try to keep the price of gold down, has
anyone else heard that ?
Old September 30th 08, 11:05 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Sep 30, 6:00*pm, wrote:
I've heard that the fed or someone continuously buys and floods the
market with gold in order to try to keep the price of gold down, has
anyone else heard that ?

And where did you hear that?
Old September 30th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Sep 30, 6:05*pm, Voltronicus wrote:
On Sep 30, 6:00*pm, wrote:

I've heard that the fed or someone continuously buys and floods the
market with gold in order to try to keep the price of gold down, has
anyone else heard that ?

And where did you hear that?

Everyone has heard this before. Its a rumor none the less, but I
wouldn't doubt it. The same is probably true with silver. Don't
believe everything you hear. Try doing a little research the next time
you hear a rumor. Then if you don't find your answer ask someone you
think might know.
Old October 1st 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jim Menning

wrote in message

I've heard that the fed or someone continuously buys and floods the
market with gold in order to try to keep the price of gold down, has
anyone else heard that ?

Think about it. That doesn't even make any sense.

To buy a large quantity of gold they would create a demand which would reduce the
supply of available gold, thus RAISING the price.

And how could they possibly flood the market with gold, if they are continuously
buying it off the market?

Old October 1st 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Voltronicus

On Sep 30, 6:00*pm, wrote:

I've heard that the fed or someone continuously buys and floods the
market with gold in order to try to keep the price of gold down, has
anyone else heard that ?

And where did you hear that?

Everyone has heard this before. Its a rumor none the less, but I
wouldn't doubt it. The same is probably true with silver. Don't
believe everything you hear. Try doing a little research the next time
you hear a rumor. Then if you don't find your answer ask someone you
think might know.

The nicest think about you Sarge is that you never let logic, common
sense or fear of public humiliation stop your from posting your crap.
Old October 1st 08, 02:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Bruce Remick

On Sep 30, 6:00 pm, wrote:

I've heard that the fed or someone continuously buys and floods the
market with gold in order to try to keep the price of gold down, has
anyone else heard that ?

And where did you hear that?

Everyone has heard this before. Its a rumor none the less, but I
wouldn't doubt it. The same is probably true with silver. Don't
believe everything you hear. Try doing a little research the next time
you hear a rumor. Then if you don't find your answer ask someone you
think might know.
*************

Sounds like a Sarah Palin interview quote.

Old October 1st 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Scott Stevenson

On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 18:31:45 -0500, "Jim Menning"
wrote:

wrote in message

I've heard that the fed or someone continuously buys and floods the
market with gold in order to try to keep the price of gold down, has
anyone else heard that ?

Think about it. That doesn't even make any sense.

To buy a large quantity of gold they would create a demand which would reduce the
supply of available gold, thus RAISING the price.

And how could they possibly flood the market with gold, if they are continuously
buying it off the market?

Right. They would have to buy when the price is down, and then sell
when the price is high. I'm pretty sure that buying and selling that
much would attract some attention...

take care,
Scott
Old October 1st 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

You all speak as if I'm saying its true. I just saying I don't doubt
that they would try something like this. So stop trying to read my
mind!
Old October 1st 08, 03:25 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
mazorj

"sgt23" wrote in message
You all speak as if I'm saying its true. I just saying I don't doubt
that they would try something like this. So stop trying to read my
mind!

Oy. Even I'm having a hard time resisting a straight line like that.
You know, if you keep leading with your chin in a newsgroup, someone
is going to punch you with a punch line.

Old October 1st 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
sgt23

On Sep 30, 10:25*pm, "mazorj" wrote:
"sgt23" wrote in message

You all speak as if I'm saying its true. I just saying I don't doubt
that they would try something like this. So stop trying to read my
mind!

Oy. *Even I'm having a hard time resisting a straight line like that.
You know, if you keep leading with your chin in a newsgroup, someone
is going to punch you with a punch line.

I hit back my friend!