Seeburg R verses Rockola 1448 - Opinions wanted

Old August 2nd 04, 04:14 PM
Fred

Default Seeburg R verses Rockola 1448 - Opinions wanted

I currently own a Wurlitzer 1700HF. I'm looking into my next juke.
What are people's opinions on Seeburgs verses Rockolas? The Seeburg
seems to have endless reproduction parts and are built like a tank.
The 1448 has 120 selections and looks similar in outside appearance to
the R. I know the 'black head' cartridges for the Seeburgs are
scarce. Not sure about the situation with Rockolas. I've read in
other postings that the Rockolas are not known for handling records
gently. Of course this might be because someone set-up their Rockola
poorly. One reason I selected the 1700 was I liked the way it handed
records. Personally, I like the exposed mechanism of the Rockola
1448. I also like the way title strips are shown 40 at a time
(similar to the Seeburg V/VL). I've also read some negative postings
about the 'Rockola sound' which seemed to indicate less than stellar
sound. My 1700 has that 'Cobra' sound which is an acquired taste.

I'd love to hear people's experiences with Rockolas (especially the
1448 and similar models). All things being equal (in terms of
condition) is a Seeburg R worth more than a Rockola 1448?
Old August 2nd 04, 09:27 PM
Philip Nasadowski

In article ,
(Fred) wrote:

I'd love to hear people's experiences with Rockolas (especially the
1448 and similar models). All things being equal (in terms of
condition) is a Seeburg R worth more than a Rockola 1448?

I'd go for the R. Seeburgs are better on records, more robust, and
sound better. I know the Rock-Ola crowd will hang me, but I've yet to
hear a 40's 50's early 60's Rock-Ola that didn't sound like crap.
seeburgs can be all over the place (IMHO the A, B and C sound lousy
too), but the R is a nice box. Rock-Olas look nice, but the DC motor
thing gets annoying, they're prone to 'thumpers' if the drive wheel goes
flat, I've heard the pinbanks don't really work well, and they're spotty
on records, though I can't see why they'd be any harsher than any other
machine, if setup right.

The clincher is Seeburg remote equipment is available everywhere, and if
you like wallboxes, that's a plus. Seeburgs can be a real bear to work
on, though, and there's a LOT of adjustments to go over, and it takes a
lot of time to get them just right. They're a VERY tight mech, really
an acomplishment in miniature engineering. A 50's Seeburg mech makes
everything else from the era look crude. I wonder if the 'tech appeal'
of them helped sell them origionally, I've heard they were very
profitable, but also expensive machines...

Of course, if you want sound quality, you want an AMI F or G, or the
ever popular H/I/J/K/whatever machines. Or a Conti. The three cone
Wurlitzer sound system's nice, but IMHO, an AMI F will blow a Cobra
Wurlizter out the door. And you can stick an NP/AC cartridge on them
and they're good on stereo records then, but you might wanna tone down
the top end (which is hot on that amp as it is - I'm guessing they go up
higher than most juke amps?). JBC had an article about this the other
month.
Old August 2nd 04, 10:08 PM
mike

I have to agree with Phil. While I have never heard one personally, I have
heard several other seasoned juke collectors claim that the R was the best
sounding juke they have ever heard (although I cant imagine it being better
than my VL) Parts for the Seeburg R are going to be much more plentiful
than the 1448. The cartridges for the Seeburg can get pricey and there are
no repros.......yet.

While both mechs can have their technical quirks, I think the Rock-ola mech
and rotating title drum offers a more visually stimulating machine.

The Seeburg is going to be a more valuable box - between $1500-$2000 more
valuable than the 1448 grades 1 and 2 equivalent (according to AJPG 2003)

If you are going for sound the R is going to be it. If you are going for
looks and visual appeal, the 1448 would be a good choice. In the end its
going to be a personal preference; both are very nice boxes with lots of
great features

Good luck
Mike

Old August 9th 04, 09:04 PM
Vic Camp

Here is my opinion on the Rock ola #1448 which I have in my collection
at the present time. I also have a totally restored Seeburg VL-200
which I have restored myself and a Seeburg W that I am almost finished
with the restoration. I have had the pleasure of owning a Seeburg
DS-160, KD-200, Q-100, AMI J -200, AMI -H, and the list goes on. I
have heard all the talk (and put downs) just like in the posting above
about the Rock ola # 1448, but always heard good things from Rock ola
jukebox lovers and wanted to get one anyway because of the great look
of the record being played flat like your old record player did, plus
it had the rotating title drum which is cool and gives a bigger window
for viewing pleasure plus I wanted to hear it for myself.
Here is ther story on my Rock ola #1448 that I recently picked up over
two or three years ago. I never plugged it in at the person house when
I bought it or even check to see if it worked, because I knew I could
fix most problems if it had any. When I got it home it basically play
with some minor problems I had to repair from the juke not being use
for some years. Remember, I did not do any work to the amp at all.
When it finally played a record for the first time, I was shock to
hear such a sweet sounding jukebox especially after all the bad talk
you hear about this juke, plus it was smaller in size then most 1950's
jukeboxes. I had plan on taking out the amp and replacing every
capacitor like I normally do for all the jukes that are keepers but
I'm content the way it is sounding now . I wouldn't turn down a nice
original Rock ola #1448 if I were you ! It rates up there with the
Seeburg R. You couldn't lose out on either jukebox you choose. Both
the R and the 1448 have certain good quality's about them that make it
a coin flip. I do not think you would be unhappy with either of them.

Visit my website click on jukeboxes. I have some info and pictures
there, but none of my Rock ola #1448. If you want to see some pictures
of my all original Rock ola #1448 email me and I will send some out.
Check it out ! I hope you enjoy your visit. Please LMK.. any comments
welcome...
http://gallery.fdu.edu/wsc/pluchino/campgames/
Here is the Gameroom Magazine article for Nov 2003 featured is my
pinball gameroom as the "Gameroom of the Month" click on all 6 pages
of pictures...
http://www.gameroommagazine.com/gm1103_1.htm
Thanks for being interested.
Vic