Kingdom of Yemen Question?

Old December 12th 03, 10:13 PM
PMATS5

Default Kingdom of Yemen Question?

I have come across this imperf block of four from "The Moutawakilite Kingdom of
Yemen." Needless to say, it does not appear in the Scott Catalogs. Is there a
catalog reference to it somewhere (Gibbons, etc) and how much should would it
be worth. My interest stems from the year I spent in Saudi Arabia in 1968 as
an advisor. I was posted on the Yemen border in a town called Khamis Mushayt.
The Saudis at that time were worried about the conflict between the Yemeni
Royalists and the Yemeni Republicans (supported by the UAR).

http://members.aol.com/pmats7/yemenblock.jpg

TIA,

George
Old December 13th 03, 05:15 AM
A.E. Gelat

It all depends on what the stamps are. A few were postally used, but others
were specifically meant for the dumb collectors' market. Gibbons lists
these at the end of the main listing, under "Appendix", but not price them.
Further, Gibbons states that imperforate issues are not listed. I assume
that the imperforates exist in perforated versions. You failed to state the
Royalists were supported by Saudi Arabia.

Tony

Old December 13th 03, 05:42 AM
TC

On 12 Dec 2003 22:13:37 GMT, (PMATS5) wrote:

I have come across this imperf block of four from "The Moutawakilite Kingdom of
Yemen." Needless to say, it does not appear in the Scott Catalogs. Is there a
catalog reference to it somewhere (Gibbons, etc) and how much should would it
be worth. My interest stems from the year I spent in Saudi Arabia in 1968 as
an advisor. I was posted on the Yemen border in a town called Khamis Mushayt.
The Saudis at that time were worried about the conflict between the Yemeni
Royalists and the Yemeni Republicans (supported by the UAR).

http://members.aol.com/pmats7/yemenblock.jpg

TIA,

George

Hello George:

Your stamp is Michel 114B. It was "issued" in 1949/1950.
The issue was produced by a stamp dealer and was never
officially released in Yemen.

There are 8 values in the set
(4 postage Mi 114 - 117, 4 airmail Mi 118 - 121).
Face values are 4, 6, 10, 14 Bogshahs (repeat for airmail).

The stamps come perf (suffix A) and imperf (suffix B).

A sheet of your stamps (Mi 114B) can be seen at:
http://stampkingdom.com/temp1207/q10d.JPG

Sheet of Mi 121B: http://stampkingdom.com/temp1207/q10c.JPG
Sheet of Mi 119B http://stampkingdom.com/temp1207/q10b.JPG
Sheet of Mi 117B http://stampkingdom.com/temp1207/q10a.JPG

A set of 8 mint imperf sheets recently was listed on ebay
at $20.00 US. [$2.50 per sheet]

That would put your block of 4's value at about 50 cents.

I hope that this has been helpful.

Blair

Old December 13th 03, 04:42 PM
PMATS5

================================================= ============

[...]

Blair,

Thank you for the 'complete' data on these stamps! Your knowledge and research
makes me wonder if you are just one person or a philatelic supercomputer filled
with all data about everything.;-)) All the stamp journals have touted
"AskPhil" for the answer to any philatelic question. Perhaps here on RCSD we
should have our own resource called "AskBlair."

Once again you have been very helpful!

Thank you,

George
Old December 13th 03, 07:05 PM
PMATS5

It all depends on what the stamps are. A few were postally used, but others
were specifically meant for the dumb collectors' market. Gibbons lists
these at the end of the main listing, under "Appendix", but not price them.
Further, Gibbons states that imperforate issues are not listed. I assume
that the imperforates exist in perforated versions. You failed to state the
Royalists were supported by Saudi Arabia.

Tony

Thanks for the info Tony. I knew there'd be an answer or two here on RCSD. I
was very aware of the politics and who supported who. I had been briefed on
the situation prior to heading into the mountains near Yemen. But one night
while listening to the only English language broadcast I could get (Shortwave
Radio Cairo in English (BBC World service faded in and out too much)), one of
the Saudi Air Force pilots came to my room to tell my not to play the radio too
loud, because it might cause trouble with the locals. Radio Cairo was not the
station to be listening to in that region. Very anti-monarchy.

George

PS: I lived in town and just a block from the local post office. Was not
collecting at the time and regret not buying Saudi stamps now that I look at
the catalog values for that period!
Old December 13th 03, 09:28 PM
Tracy Barber

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 23:15:11 -0600, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

It all depends on what the stamps are. A few were postally used, but others
were specifically meant for the dumb collectors' market. Gibbons lists
these at the end of the main listing, under "Appendix", but not price them.
Further, Gibbons states that imperforate issues are not listed. I assume
that the imperforates exist in perforated versions. You failed to state the
Royalists were supported by Saudi Arabia.

Tony -

What / who are "dumb" stamp collectors? Maybe you meant the
"misinformed"?

Tracy Barber
Old December 14th 03, 12:16 AM
TC

On 13 Dec 2003 16:42:04 GMT, (PMATS5) wrote:

================================================ =============

[...]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

You are most welcome , George.

By the way, the reason that the Yemen government
(read Imam Ahmed) rejected the issue back in 1949/50
was that it showed his picture. This was contrary
to Ahmed's (very conservative) Islamic beliefs.

It was one of a number of issues that originated
between NY stamp dealers and the UN Delegation
of Yemen housed in the Empire State Building.

The idea was that the dealers would get stamps
in payment and the UN delegation would get $US
to pay their bills. [I believe that the printer
was EA Wright Banknote Co. of Philadelphia.]

Prince Mohammed bin Yahya, Imam Ahmed's brother,
was the Ambassador to the UN. He was ordered
back to Yemen and beheaded circa 1953 for
"treason" (if I remember correctly) which in
those days meant 'ticking off his brother Ahmed'.

Yemen philately is much more colourful than
modern flag over porch flyspecs (IMHO).
One stamp issue gone wrong and it was
"off with his head".

The Queen of Hearts would have been most amused.
http://store.coolstamps.com/imagesrv/602/776007788.jpg

Blair.