Stupid questions about coin edges

Old January 27th 05, 01:56 PM
yandr

Default Stupid questions about coin edges

Characterizing a question as stupid will probably draw less attention, but
since there are "... for dummies" books out there I though I should give it
a shot.

Anyway, I would like to know:

1. The difference between plain and smooth (apparantly there is one)
2. If reeded and milled are the same and if so, which one is used more often
3. What is starred (the edge has stars?)

Thank you in advance.

Fleur de Coin
- http://www.fleur-de-coin.com/
Ελληνικός στρατός
- http://skopia.digitalrice.com/

Old January 27th 05, 02:36 PM

I would normally just say Plain edge for either, but I suppose that
technically an early (but post-1795) U.S. large cent broadstruck (as
they all were, without a restraining collar) on an unornamented
planchet would have a Plain Edge that is rounded or bulged outwards. A
later date struck in a restraining collar that has no detailing on it
(usually called a plain collar) would have a flat, squared off edge you
could call a Smooth Edge.
..
A milled edge is one that has an ornamentation applied to it, either on
the planchet before the strike, or in the collar during the strike, or
(rarely) onto the coin after the strike. This could be letters, leaves,
circles and squares or reeding.
..
Sometimes the ornamentation is a line of stars, as on the U.S. Indian
Head $10 gold piece, or a combination of stars and words as on the U.S.
St. Gaudens $20.
..
Tom DeLorey

Old January 27th 05, 07:57 PM
Frank Provasek

Smooth is a better term. Plain in a relative term. A reeded edge
could be considered plain
compared to a lettered or vine & bars edge.

Old January 28th 05, 07:45 AM
yandr

wrote in message
ps.com...
I would normally just say Plain edge for either, but I suppose that
technically an early (but post-1795) U.S. large cent broadstruck (as
they all were, without a restraining collar) on an unornamented
planchet would have a Plain Edge that is rounded or bulged outwards. A
later date struck in a restraining collar that has no detailing on it
(usually called a plain collar) would have a flat, squared off edge you
could call a Smooth Edge.

The reason I am asking is that at
http://www.euro.ecb.int/en/section/euro0/coins.html the 1,2,5 cents are
characterized as smooth, however the edge is not flat. A small, inward curve
runs along the edge of the coin. It is difficult to describe this, because I
am not a native speaker of the language. I hope you understand what I am
saying.

Would it be correct to use plain for flat, smooth edges and smooth for edges
which are not milled?
Your examples seem great, but unfortunately I do not collect US coins.

A milled edge is one that has an ornamentation applied to it, either on
the planchet before the strike, or in the collar during the strike, or
(rarely) onto the coin after the strike. This could be letters, leaves,
circles and squares or reeding.

Hmm, thanks so reeded is included in milled it seems.

Old January 28th 05, 05:04 PM

Actually, if you look at the coins, only the 2 cent Euro coin has the
groove in (no doubt to make it easier to distinguish them from the
slightly smaller 1 and the slightly larger 5 when you have them
stacked), and if you look at the Euro web site you cited the 2 cent
edge is described as "Smooth with a groove." Only the 1 cent and 5 cent
are described as smooth, which they are.
Tom DeLorey