Moisture Reduction?

Old March 22nd 08, 05:45 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Coffee's For Closers

Default Moisture Reduction?

How do you deal with moisture in the air?

I have a few different physical situations. Coins in fold-over
cardboard/cellophane holders ("2x2"? "flip"?) Some loose. And
some in Reserve Bank packaging made of cardboard and thin
plastic. Those are in plastic boxes (sold as food containers, so
hopefully not PVC?)

The coins are a variety of compositions.

Also, there are a few notes in thin plastic sleeves, in a drawer.
Both paper and polymer.

In one box, I put in a silica gel pack (bought at a camera
store.) It is like the little ones in vitamin bottles, but
bigger.

This is a regular home environment. But I live in an area with
rather high humidity (South Pacific island paradise.)

The pouch from the camera store seems OK, but I'm unsure about
effectiveness and lifespan. Also, they are a bit expensive if
you would want a bunch of them.

I have heard of "recharging" such pouches in an oven on low heat.
Although this one doesn't seem to have any indicator of absorbed
moisture level. (Some of the ones in pill bottles feature a
strip that seems to turn dark with absorbed moisture[?])

Plus there are the issues of protecting notes, and also
protecting albums and plastic slot pages for coins. Maybe just
bigger boxes with more desiccant packs?

So... How is everybody else handling this issue?

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/
Old March 22nd 08, 03:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Leo Marx

Coffee's For Closers wrote:

[...]

I use these

http://www.dehumidify.com/

Everything should be in an air tight container. Almost all paper and
cardboard will cause problems if they come in contact with the coins.

JAM
Old March 22nd 08, 04:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter[_6_]

On Mar 22, 6:45*am, Coffee's For Closers Usenet2...@THE-DOMAIN-
IN.SIG wrote:
[...]

Silica gel, some types of clay and possibly other products can work
well. Generally, the first thing to do in a high humidity area is to
restrict air flow (closed cabinet, tupper ware, glass jar with a good
seal or whatever works).

I use a mixture of whatever is easily available and some silica gel
with an indicator (blue die that turns pink when it becomes damp).
Getting the indicator used to be easy if you are in the USA. I
haven't tried in years; perhaps it is harder, now.

The next problem is to find a way to contain whatever else you use to
remove water. One problem occurs when you want to "recharge" it. As
you mention it can be done on a low heat; low in this case means
slightly above 100 degrees C. Many materials that are used to contain
the dessicant deteriorate at that temperature.

I made boxes out of copper screen and soldered them. It works, but
the solder melts near that temperature and if you heat them in an oven
that is uneven, the box may come apart and spill the dessicant. Using
something that can be opened and heating the dessicant separately
works best.

Whatever you use to contain the recharged dessicant also needs to let
the air reach it so that is can work. You can also see how effective
the treatment is by seeing how quickly the indicator changes color.
Also Radio Shack and some others sell hygrometers so that you can tell
almost immediately how effective the dessicant is.

Another solution to recharging is to use a microwave oven. This can
work, but I'm less familiar with the approach. Individual granules of
dessicant can get exceedingly hot in a microwave and may burn through
some containers. Pyrex is not too bad a choice in this case. There
may be other problems, and I haven't tried so many ways of doing this;
be cautious.
Old March 22nd 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Leo Marx" wrote in message
Coffee's For Closers wrote:

[...]

If paper is stored in an air tight container it should be allowed to breath
from time to time.

I've also read that frequent changes of temperature should be avoided, i.e.
moving the coins/notes from a cold safe to a warm house. Billy

Old March 22nd 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:56:21 GMT, note.boy wrote:

"Leo Marx" wrote in message

Everything should be in an air tight container. Almost all paper and
cardboard will cause problems if they come in contact with the coins.

If paper is stored in an air tight container it should be allowed to breath
from time to time.

Really? Then why are the documents that the US Archives are protecting,
kept in inert atmosphere in very expensive enclosures? Maybe the folks
who designed the enclosures know more about this?

Old March 22nd 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

wrote:

"Leo Marx" wrote in message

Everything should be in an air tight container. Almost all paper and
cardboard will cause problems if they come in contact with the coins.

If paper is stored in an air tight container it should be allowed to
breath
from time to time.

Really? Then why are the documents that the US Archives are protecting,
kept in inert atmosphere in very expensive enclosures? Maybe the folks
who designed the enclosures know more about this?

If you think that the atmospheric conditions inside an air tight plastic box
are the same as those inside the US archives you are mistaken.

Have I done something to upset you as you jump on any post of mine that you
think contains an error?

Are you a Phriend of Phil? Billy

Old March 22nd 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Andy[_3_]

I bought some pre-made pouches of silica (with the blue/pink indicator) at a
chemical supply in Australia for about 50c for a pouch about 4x6cm. I was
thinking of buying a whole lot and selling them on ebay but postage and the
time demands would have made it not worthwhile.

Andrew

Old March 22nd 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Dave Hinz

wrote:

"Leo Marx" wrote in message

If paper is stored in an air tight container it should be allowed to
breath
from time to time.

Really? Then why are the documents that the US Archives are protecting,
kept in inert atmosphere in very expensive enclosures? Maybe the folks
who designed the enclosures know more about this?

If you think that the atmospheric conditions inside an air tight plastic box
are the same as those inside the US archives you are mistaken.

I don't see any conditionals in Leo's oversimplified and likely claim,
included above for your convenience. Do you?

Have I done something to upset you as you jump on any post of mine that you
think contains an error?

No, you just seem to be getting things wrong a lot lately or something?

Are you a Phriend of Phil? Billy

No, about that. Would you PLEASE stop feeding that troll pair, and let
Phil and what's his name have their little love-fest all by themselves?
The only thing you accomplish by playing along with them is to expose
those of us who have killfiled them both, to the very thing we're trying
to avoid.

Old March 23rd 08, 01:47 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jon Purkey

wrote:

"Leo Marx" wrote in message

Everything should be in an air tight container. Almost all paper and
cardboard will cause problems if they come in contact with the coins.

If paper is stored in an air tight container it should be allowed to
breath
from time to time.

Really? Then why are the documents that the US Archives are protecting,
kept in inert atmosphere in very expensive enclosures? Maybe the folks
who designed the enclosures know more about this?

If you think that the atmospheric conditions inside an air tight plastic box
are the same as those inside the US archives you are mistaken.

Don't they fill those chambers with argon, nitrogen, or something else
like that? I once saw a program about it, but forget the details.

Old March 23rd 08, 01:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
dave a

wrote:
"Leo Marx" wrote in message
Everything should be in an air tight container. Almost all paper and
cardboard will cause problems if they come in contact with the coins.
If paper is stored in an air tight container it should be allowed to
breath
from time to time.
Really? Then why are the documents that the US Archives are protecting,
kept in inert atmosphere in very expensive enclosures? Maybe the folks
who designed the enclosures know more about this?

If you think that the atmospheric conditions inside an air tight plastic box
are the same as those inside the US archives you are mistaken.

Don't they fill those chambers with argon, nitrogen, or something else
like that? I once saw a program about it, but forget the details.

here are the details

http://www.archives.gov/press/press-...9/nr99-76.html

/dave a