document pasted into Sir Walter Scott book

Old January 24th 04, 03:31 PM
closed

Default document pasted into Sir Walter Scott book

anyone know of any suggestions for verifying the authenticity of a document
like the one in the following posts? as mentioned in the subject the
document is pasted
into the first pages of the Sir Walter Scott book Waverly volume 1 ... It
was printed in 1912 - he died in 1832. My mother was an avid book collector
often picking up books at garage sales / estate sales / flea markets .. I
held onto this book because of its old appearance - leather bound - pages
not cut by machine - just by happenstance I came across the letter - any
info would be greatly appreciated... keep in mind if you send me an e-mail
direct - make the subject "this is not spam" no quotation marks... Thanks ~D

--
o_o_o_o
/| ,[_____],
|¯¯¯L --O|||||||O-
()_)¯()_) ¯¯¯ )_)
03 Wrangler TJ se 4WD
00 Chevy S-10 4WD
95 Virago XV750
If you really want to e-mail me direct...
please make the subject line say
"this is not spam" or else, I won't get it...
don't send me spam under the guise of not being spam, unless you want
reported... and is loosing your IP, or e-mail address worth it? ~dave

Old January 24th 04, 04:48 PM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

closed wrote:

anyone know of any suggestions for verifying the authenticity of a

document
like the one in the following posts? as mentioned in the subject [snip]

You've lost me. What following posts are you referring to?

o_o_o_o
/| ,[_____],
|$B%C%C%C(BL --O|||||||O-
()_)$B%C(B()_) $B%C%C%C(B )_)
03 Wrangler TJ se 4WD
00 Chevy S-10 4WD
95 Virago XV750

This was at the bottom of your post. It may be that my system has decoded it
differently from what you actually wrote but, again, it's beyond me!

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old January 24th 04, 07:02 PM
closed

oops.. I didn't think that the "Jeep" in my signature would be mistaken for
the subject of my post... I've tried to paste pictures of a letter that I
found in a book by SWS... sorry about the confusion ~D

"michael adams" wrote in message

"John Yamamoto-Wilson" wrote in
message ...
closed wrote:

anyone know of any suggestions for verifying the authenticity of a

document
like the one in the following posts? as mentioned in the subject

[snip]

You've lost me. What following posts are you referring to?

o_o_o_o
/| ,[_____],
|$B%C%C%C(BL --O|||||||O-
()_)$B%C(B()_) $B%C%C%C(B )_)
03 Wrangler TJ se 4WD
00 Chevy S-10 4WD
95 Virago XV750

This was at the bottom of your post. It may be that my system has

decoded
it
differently from what you actually wrote but, again, it's beyond me!

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

John, on mine it lines up as a graphic of a willys type jeep
There are none of the extraneous % characters you have
the circles are the lights on the top of the roof
the bit underneath is the windscreen,
then the radiator and headlights and
then the wheels underneath
plus various bits making up the sides
I don't know what this will look like
but this is the front anyway

.........o_o_o_o
.........[_____],
..........O|||||||O-
...... ()_)....()_)

I added the dots to keep it alighned

michael adams

Old January 24th 04, 08:56 PM
Denise

"closed" wrote in message
oops.. I didn't think that the "Jeep" in my signature would be mistaken

for
the subject of my post... I've tried to paste pictures of a letter that I
found in a book by SWS... sorry about the confusion ~D

Hi ~

Don't include images in newsgroup posts - many people will not be able to
see them, and even if they can, it isn't good newsgroup ettiquette. (takes
up bandwidth, etc...).

Better to include a link to the photo ~ then we can all see.

best,
Denise

--
Empty Mirror Books & Distribution www.emptymirrorbooks.com
specializing in modern poetry, the Beat Generation, & the work of Michael

Denise Enck - Quanta Webdesign www.quantawebdesign.com
websites for organizations, individuals, & the arts

Old January 24th 04, 09:19 PM
Steven Rowe

Better to include a link to the photo ~ then we can all see.

and in this case, you need a handwriting and autograph expert, rahter than book
collecting experts.
but certainly it was fadish among well to do folks in the late 1800s to
paste related stuff in books, and a letter from an author would certainly
count.

steven rowe
---------------------------------
Don't forget to Delete "Unspam" if you wish to e- mail me.

join the FelixTheCat list at www.yahoogroups.com
Old January 25th 04, 01:50 AM
closed

that is some great information, that some people would put paste the letter
in the book ... I apologize for not having a web site to link to... thanks
~D

join the FelixTheCat list at www.yahoogroups.com
.

Old January 25th 04, 02:03 AM
John Yamamoto-Wilson

closed wrote:

that is some great information, that some people would put paste the

letter
in the book ... I apologize for not having a web site to link to

Could you give a full *description* of the material in question? There are
quite a few websites you might be able to go to for comparison with your
manuscript, but without having more details it's difficult to know where to
point you.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

Old January 25th 04, 08:49 PM
closed

I am unable to read it easily.. it is written in script with what appears to
be a quill pen (the ink lightens as the page goes on) It appears to be a
personal letter it often refers to events without explaining it, here is the
beginning of the letter
" My Dear Sir:
I am infinitely obliged to you for your kind attention in putting me in some
degree at ease respecting the fate of poor John Fergusen..." It ends with
the signature "Your truly obliged Walter Scott"
The letter is very hard to read (at least to me)... the letter refers to
ships and their sinking I'm thinking of talking to the Cleveland museum of
art to see if they have anyone who can take a look at this and tell me what
I have ... again any info would be greatly appreciated ~D

closed wrote:

that is some great information, that some people would put paste the

letter
in the book ... I apologize for not having a web site to link to

Could you give a full *description* of the material in question? There are
quite a few websites you might be able to go to for comparison with your
manuscript, but without having more details it's difficult to know where

point you.

--
John
http://rarebooksinjapan.com

[FAQ] rec.collecting.books FAQ Mike Berro Books 0 December 26th 03 08:18 PM
Book signing information Ted Kupczyk Autographs 6 November 2nd 03 02:04 PM
Celebrity Book Signings - Jimmy Carter, Scott Adams, John Waters Lee Cochenour Autographs 1 October 29th 03 01:59 PM
autographs dani.steiner General 0 July 19th 03 06:08 AM
Reducing Autograph Collection dani.steiner Autographs 0 July 16th 03 02:29 PM