FAQ POST

Old December 28th 03, 10:20 PM
Ken In Texas

Default FAQ POST

THE ALT.COLLECTING.JUKE-BOXES FAQ
Frequently Asked Questions
alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Revision: 1.8 December 28th, 2003
This is the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) list for the Usenet newsgroup
alt.collecting.juke-boxes
This FAQ was developed by Ken In Texas who used
other FAQ's as a guide.
Comments and suggestions for improvement welcomed.
Send email to

1) Purpose & History
To facilitate the discussion of jukeboxes both old and new by the
novice., experet, and curious
The newsgroup was proposed by a collector who had the vision to know
that such a group was needed. Since that time the group had expanded and
grown to a large number of users

2) Guidelines to posting to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
alt.collecting.juke-boxes is a Usenet group, no different from any other.
As such, most if not all of the usual guidelines for posting
articles apply. Remember that before posting to
alt.collecting.juke-boxes you should already be
familiar with the posting conventions and guidelines that are posted
periodically to the newsgroup "news.announce.newusers". If you cannot
find these guidelines by reading the group, wait a while and a copy
*will* be posted, or try asking fellow users or the system administrators
at your site for a copy.

In addition, newcomers are strongly advised to read
alt.collecting.juke-boxes
to get a feel for the group (at a minimum, have read this FAQ) before
posting
for the first time.

SPAM or SPAMMING posters is strictly prohibited!

4) -- I want to buy and sell jukeboes and parts by advertising on
alt.collecting.juke-boxes, are there any tips?
These types of postings are acceptable but please put all items
in one post. Common postings include:
FA = for auction (please post ebay/other auction ads this way)
FS = for sale
FT = For trade
FS/T = For sale or trade
Tech = Means you need help with a problem
WTB = Wanted to buy
WTT = Want to trade

5) -- Somebody told me that this group is only for jukes from
the 1940-1960's
This is not true discussion of all musical jukeboxes is welcome.

6) -- I'm new to collecting, someone is offering me a (insert box here)
is this a good price (insert price here)
Feel free to post questions of this nature but be aware prices vary widely
by location, condition and model. Several books are available to
help the collector with value.

Jukebox Related Books (many are out of print)
The Always Jukin' Official Guide to Collectible Jukeboxes
American Jukebox: The Classic Years
Complete Identification Guide to the Wurlitzer Jukebox
Jukebox: The Golden Age
Jukebox: The Golden Age, 1937 Through 1948
The Jukebox Bluebook: A Guide to Jukebox Collecting and Identification
from the Early
Years to the Present (Second Edition)
Jukebox Saturday Night
Jukebox the Golden Age
Jukeboxes, 1900-1992 : Obscure, Mysterious and Innovative American
Jukeboxes - Frank Adams; Plastic Comb
American Jukebox: The Classic Years - Vincent Lynch, Kazuhiro Tsuruta;
Vintage Jukeboxes - Christopher Pearce
Jukebox - Dieter Ludwig c1994
Bill Bickers' Juke-Talk
Jukeboxes - Adams, Lukas and Maschke
Jukeboxes, A Blast From the Past - Scott Wood c1992
Seeburg Jukeboxes. 62 Years of Fun 1927-1989 - Adams
Vintage Jukeboxes, The Hall of Fame - Christopher Pierce

7) -- I want to buy a (insert box here), what can I do?
Juxeboxes can be bought from several sources:

a) ...from operators,
Operators are the people who provide the jukes you see in arcades
truckstops, clubs and diners. Older jukes cease to make money (this is
especially
true of 45 RPM machines), and often get "warehoused".
The "Amusement Devices" or "Vending" section of your Yellow
Pages is the best place to find a list of operators. Many operators
also place stickers with their name and phone number on jukes they operate.
Some dealers who specialize in "Home Sales" will advertise
alongside operators in the Yellow Pages. Usually their prices
are far higher than those of a true operator, so it pays to shop
around. Necessity never made a good bargin, don't be too eager.

b) ...from auctions,
Auctions are held periodically around the country. These are where
operators sell their surplus jukes, either to other operators or to
collectors such as yourself. You can find out about auctions in your
area by reading the newsgroups, by checking a "Miscellaneous"
section in your local paper or by asking a few operators in your area
(since they may be selling jukes at the auction, you may receive
a rare showing of helpfulness)

c) ...from ads in your local paper,
Most papers have a "Miscellaneous" or equivalent section
in the classifieds. Prices are often artificially high, as the
sellers are hoping to find "gullible" first time buyers. This does
not, however, prevent you, as an informed buyer, from haggling the
price back down. Often the sellers will be the same people as the
dealers listed above who specialize in "Home Sales".

d) ...or from the net!
Read the newsgroup on a daily basis.

e).....From places that specialize in Jukebox sales
There are many amusement companies that specialize in the sell of
antique jukeboxes
many offer warranties and deliver to your door.

8) What kinds of Jukeboxes are there?
Some play records (either 78 rpm or 45 rpm) a few older jukes mixed both
(33 1/3 and 45 rpm records) Today jukeboxes are either CD or download boxes.
The number of selections very by model 20,48,100, and 200 selections
were common
on 45 rpm and 78 rpm boxes. Most CD jukeboxes hold 100 Cd's. If you
figure 10 songs
per disc that totals 1000 selections in one jukebox!
The newest jukeboxes have no CD's or records but ratherdownload music
from the internet to a local hard drive.

9) Can I get a reproduction of the jukebox that had bubble tubes?
You are likely referring to a 1015 wurlitzer although it was not the only
jukebox made with bubble tubes. All of the major manufactures make
reproductions
of this famous model. You can see them at:
www.rock-ola.com
www.wurlitzer-jukebox.com
www.roweami.com
www.nsm-music.de/produkte/musik/nostalgia.htm (This site is not in English)

9a) I want to buy a good one which one is best?
Each are different. Some are American made (Rockola & Rowe) and some are
not. All of
them have been built to survive route conditions (bars, taverns etc).
It's very likely
that any of them will give you years of trouble free service at home.

10) -- How much does a juke cost?
Brand new jukes can often run close to $7000 on the high side. A
restored wurlitzer
1015 can go for almost $15,000. Jukes can be bought in various conditions
for often a few hundred dollars. Prices tend to vary greatly.

11) Do manufacturers maintain websites?
Yes they do see the links below.
http://www.nsm-music.de/e/index.html
http://www.roweami.com/
http://www.wurlitzer-jukebox.com
http://www.rock-ola.com/
www.touchtunes.com

12) -- I just bought a juke, but there is no documentation, can someone
send me some?
Manuals are widely available from rowe-ami, seeburg, rockola etc.
Several companies specialize in complete manuals and schematics.

13) -- Where can I buy parts for my jukebox?
Off the net, at shows, and from delaers and operators. Older parts are
often expensive.
you can start with
www.victoryglass.com
www.kenarnold.com
www.jukebox-parts.com

14) Are records still available?
Yes but just barely (especially new releases) Very few stores carry them
any more.
Bigger cities sometimes have record stores that do however.
In addition operators may be willing to sell you
records they have taken off location. Some sites on the net offer
records for sale.
Typical price is about 2.50 - 3.00 each.
If you buy a "CD" jukebox then this isn't an issue.
here are a few online sources for records.
http://www.fasthits.com
http://www.arrdis.com
http://members.aol.com/yatrec/private/index.htm
http://www.liebermanmusic.com
http://www.musicop.com
http://www.hitsingle.com
http://www.coinop.net

SITES SPECIALIZING IN NEW/MINT PRESSINGS OF OLDIE 45s:
http://www.gocontinental.com
http://www.tzd.com/pie
(the newsgroup does not favor any one source over another)

15) What about title strips?
In days of old record retailers shipped strips already typed for your
jukebox as a courtesy to route
operators. Very few companies do this today. Central South One Stop is
one 800-251-3052.

Some companies make software to make strips on your computer

a) http://www.lowprofilesoftware.com/

You can also buy them from the Sterling Title Strip Graphics Inc.
412-322-4555 2100 E. Ohio St. Pittsburgh PA 15212

or download templates for FREE from
http://www.pinballrebel.com/archive/other/title.htm or
http://www.jukebox.tk (who has many great custom ones)

16) Do I have to use new records?
No, but really worn records will shorten your needle life. Thrift stores
and garage sales are often a good source for records.

17) Can I suggest a new addition for this FAQ
Yes, this FAQ is a work in progress. Any additions would be welcome.
Send to

18) Can I post a picture of this new juke I just bought or this item I
have for sale?
Posting a binary in a non binary group is considered bad manners by many
people in the net community.
While the charter did allow for it you should really consider the
alternative of putting the picture on your
web-site then providing the group a link to view it. In other words
please don't do it.

19) Is there a place where I can see pictures of different models.

Yes, several pages have photos of jukeboxes. Wurlitzer also maintains
pictures
on its site. Places to see photos include:
http://www.pinballrebel.com/archive/archive.htm
http://www.juke-index.co.nz/
http://tomszone.com/Seeburg.html

--
Ken In Texas
http://www.pinballrebel.com

"Never ask a man if he's from Texas.
If he is, he'll tell you on his own.
If he ain't, no need to embarrass him."

Old December 29th 03, 01:25 AM
James

Small Update: The "www.kenarnold.com" site noted in FAQ question #13 is an
actors web site & should not be referred to for jukebox parts...

Old December 29th 03, 02:57 AM
RC

Patrick at A1 now carries Ken Arnolds product line.
www.jukebox-parts.com
Old December 29th 03, 04:11 AM
Bob E.

RC wrote:

Patrick at A1 now carries Ken Arnolds product line.
www.jukebox-parts.com

Nope, that's Bill Butterfields url! And www.jukeboxparts.com is of
course John Durfee's. For A-1 jukebox (who are indeed the sellers
of Ken Arnolds parts), you want www.jukeboxusa.com

All are valuable resources for the jukebox enthusiast...bookmark 'em!

--Bob

Bob Ellingson
Halted Specialties Co., Inc.
http://www.halted.com
3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)