I'm certain that Fwankie has "notes" on this one!!!

Old August 19th 12, 01:37 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

Default I'm certain that Fwankie has "notes" on this one!!!

Very nice:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1853-Liberty...em43b2b dc024

oly
Old August 19th 12, 05:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 17:37:25 -0700 (PDT), oly wrote:

Very nice:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1853-Liberty...em43b2b dc024

oly

know nery little about small denomination gold other than they were
often counterfeited....but "tallar"???
Old August 19th 12, 08:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
oly

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1853-Liberty...Gold-Coin-FREE...

oly

*know nery little about small denomination gold other than they were
often counterfeited....but "tallar"???

I am amused at the chutzpah (or sheer ignornace) of the seller. oly
Old August 20th 12, 04:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

Sorry I missed viewing it. It has been pulled.
Old August 26th 12, 11:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Peter Smith

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 17:37:25 -0700 (PDT), oly wrote:

Very nice:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1853-Liberty...em43b2b dc024

oly

I have two of these and they are just fantasy pieces. The was a
phamplet that came out in 1984 that had them listed, but for the
majority of information the following snippet might be helpful

Links To Micro-National and Fantasy Coins: Listings C1

http://www.oocities.org/erik_mccrea/linksC1.html

REPUBLIC OF CAMALA/REPUBLIC OF MALACA/REPUBLIC OF AMALIA: One and all,
these are smallish gold pieces bearing the enthrallingly oddball
denomination of "1 Tallar". For starters, I obtained (on eBay) two
nearly identical versions of the “Republic of Camala” coin: one is a
diminutive 13mm and the other is an even tinier 10mm. Each piece came
mounted on a sturdy 9-karat gold ring, which actually happens to be
but one of the possible “natural settings” for these wearable
curiosities. According to Mr. Mike Locke, whose helpful messages about
the Camala pieces prompted me to embark upon my initial foray into
this cluster of nonexistent republics, these “Tallar tokens were
struck in England for use in the jewelry trade, circa 1980.” An
apparent jeweler's fantasy, these coins have also appeared on
pendants. Then, thanks to John and Carly Wilkinson, I acquired a
similar Tallar (10mm) from the “Republic of Malaca” (not to be
confused with Malacca, a Malay sultanate). I also have another Malaca
piece, which I purchased from Mr. Jimmy Collins. It is a much thinner
and easily bendable coin (also 10mm), affixed to a flimsy ring. Note
that the only difference between the names “Camala” and “Malaca” is
merely the result of a single syllable being switched to different
positions. The Camala pieces are dated 1853, and the Malaca pieces are
dated 1854. Mrs. Kay Sanders, a fellow eBayer, owns a Camala ring with
“Birmingham 1976” hallmarked on its shank. This indicates where and
when an assayer inspected/marked the piece, but perhaps this is also a
significant clue in regards to the origin (place/time) of the coin
itself. Another Tallar, dated 1853, exists from the “United States of
America” (the ring pertaining to one of these was described by its
seller as having a “Sheffield 1977” marking). In fact, all the Tallar
look-alikes are based on James B. Longacre’s Liberty Head gold
Dollar (also known as the Type I gold Dollar), minted from 1849-1854.
So what is a “Tallar”, anyway? One Web-site claims that it was an
“Egyptian unit equal to 20 Piastres” (and that an Ashrafi was
“formerly one third of a Tallar”). Another person maintains that it is
the Afrikaans word for Dollar (which itself originated with a 16th
century coin known as the “Joachimstaler” — a shortened, far-reaching
version of this name, Taler/Thaler, was eventually altered to
Daler/Daalder). Whatever the case may be, the word “Tallar” has
several historical variants which share similar spellings; these
include Talar/Talara (Poland), Talaro (Ethiopia), Talirion (Greece),
Tallero (Eritrea, Ethiopia, Italian states, Ragusa), Tolar (Bohemia,
Slovenia), as well as the previously noted Taler and Thaler (because
they had far too ubiquitous a range, I'll refrain from listing every
single nation-state in which they circulated).
In an unexpected twist, I was lucky to encounter (on eBay) a pair of
“Republic of Amalia” 1 Tallar pieces, dated 1854. Each coin (13mm) is
attached to its own dangle/drop earring. Their original owner, Mrs.
Andrea Meredith, stated that she purchased the twosome in the 1980s.
When compared side by side with the Camala and Malaca pieces, the
engraving of the Liberty Head on the Amalia coin is of slightly
inferior quality; this might suggest that chronologically, it
could’ve been produced shortly after the other two Tallars (a more
recent, marginally modern follow-up?). Nevertheless, it is probably
safe to assume that Amalia is the third (and final?) sister of Camala
and Malaca. Overall, the three of them are almost so indistinguishable
from one another that they could easily pass as identical offsprings:
the Tallar Triplets (quadruplets, if we include the American Tallar;
though I prefer to regard her as the venerable “matriarch” of the
lot).

Pete