Strange nickel Some kind of mint error?

Old July 14th 12, 12:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Alice V

Default Strange nickel Some kind of mint error?

I noticed this nickel when a vending machine rejected it.

The rim is too high on both the front and the back and it cuts off the
top of the letters and numbers on the outer edge of the coin. I think
it is a 1986 P, but I'm not totally sure about the 86...could be 66 or
88. If you lay this coin beside an ordinary nickel, the rim is higher,
and the coin itself is a tiny bit smaller around than an ordinary
nickel.

I put some pictures on my website, if that will help:
http://www.mywingsbooks.com/temp/nickel.html

Would appreciate knowing if I found a fortune in my pocket, or just
some common mint malfunction.

Thanks!

Old July 14th 12, 04:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 16:29:21 -0700 (PDT), Alice V
wrote:

I noticed this nickel when a vending machine rejected it.

The rim is too high on both the front and the back and it cuts off the
top of the letters and numbers on the outer edge of the coin. I think
it is a 1986 P, but I'm not totally sure about the 86...could be 66 or
88. If you lay this coin beside an ordinary nickel, the rim is higher,
and the coin itself is a tiny bit smaller around than an ordinary
nickel.

I put some pictures on my website, if that will help:
http://www.mywingsbooks.com/temp/nickel.html

Would appreciate knowing if I found a fortune in my pocket, or just
some common mint malfunction.

Thanks!

No fortune, no mint malfunction.

It looks like someone started to make a coin ring using a spoon.

Google "coin ring spoon" and you'll get a bunch of hits.
Old July 14th 12, 05:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Alice V

wrote:

I noticed this nickel when a vending machine rejected it.

The rim is too high on both the front and the back and it cuts off the
top of the letters and numbers on the outer edge of the coin. I think
it is a 1986 P, but I'm not totally sure about the 86...could be 66 or
88. If you lay this coin beside an ordinary nickel, the rim is higher,
and the coin itself is a tiny bit smaller around than an ordinary
nickel.

I put some pictures on my website, if that will help:
http://www.mywingsbooks.com/temp/nickel.html

Would appreciate knowing if I found a fortune in my pocket, or just
some common mint malfunction.

Thanks!

No fortune, no mint malfunction.

It looks like someone started to make a coin ring using a spoon.

Google "coin ring spoon" and you'll get a bunch of hits.

Thanks. I wasn't really expecting a fortune...I dont' have the kind of
luck. But while I was waiting for some kind soul to reply, I did find
some other coins that they call "dryer coins" that look just like
mine. Also not a mint error. Just a forgetfullness problem,
apparently. I wonder how fast they are created? I would think someone
would notice if they heard a coin clanking around a dryer for any
length of time.

Alice
Old July 26th 12, 03:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

I would think someone
would notice if they heard a coin clanking around a dryer for any
length of time.

Alice

"Dryer" coins come from laundromats or dryers in apartments, I have a appliance repair friend that has a collection of coins that have spent a great deal of time bouncing around the inner workings of a dryer. they can get to look pretty interesting. I've noticed that its usually the 1c, 5c and 10 coins and rarely a 25c.

Kyle

first post in almost 3 years
Old July 27th 12, 03:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jerry Dennis

On Jul 25, 10:24*pm, wrote:
*I would think someone would notice if they heard a coin clanking around a dryer for any
length of time.

Alice

"Dryer" coins come from laundromats or dryers in apartments, I have a appliance repair friend that has a collection of coins that have spent a great deal of time bouncing around the inner workings of a dryer. they can get to look pretty interesting. I've noticed that its usually the 1c, 5c and 10 coins and rarely a 25c.

Kyle

first post in almost 3 years

It's about time, Kyle. Where you been?

Jerry
I'm still here.

What kind of dollar error is this? [email protected] Paper Money 3 February 10th 06 02:48 AM
Strange nickel error? Brian Coins 20 September 26th 04 12:05 PM
2002-D Nickel error?? Crow T Robot Coins 3 January 24th 04 03:18 AM
Found strange Jefferson Nickel in change Bbooth202 Coins 2 November 16th 03 06:02 PM