Lit. Britspeak #3

Old July 18th 03, 03:31 PM
Lin Digs Books

Default Lit. Britspeak #3

So I reading yet another British mystery (I can just hear y'all
saying, doesn't she read ANYthing else?!), and have another bit of
obscurity (to me) to present for elucidation (you see, I've at least
read a dictionary).

Start quote:

Cop #1: And then there was that bit about the stained glass artist.
Cop #2: Christian Timbrook. Peculiar name for an artist. Not exactly
uninhibiting.
Cop #1: Perhaps his father wanted a son interested in lions.

End quote.

Now, are we talking about Roman-era christians and lions in the arena?
If not, what the lions doing in there?

Thanks for any comments.
Lindig
Old July 19th 03, 03:20 PM
Lin Digs Books

"Francis A. Miniter" wrote in message ...
Hi Lin,

Which British mystery is this? I am fairly certain I have not read it.

Stained glass started coming into its own around the 10th or 11th
century, so it is definitely after that time. The British were quite
big on stained glass. E.g., Burke-Jones and the windows of Christ Church
Cathedral. I have been unable to find "Christian Timbrook" anywhere,
so I am not sure if this is an historical character or fictional. The
reference to lions simply seemed to me to refer to the subject matter of
his stained glass work.

Francis A. Mintier

It's by Teri Holbrook, the first one in the Gael Grayson series (of
which there may only be two) -- I forget the title (the book's at
home).

Christian Timbrook is fictional, a suspect in the murder. I just
wanted to know whether his name and lions referred to arena combat of
ancient Rome. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with his
stained glass artistry.

Thanks for the comment.
Lindig

Old July 19th 03, 04:07 PM
M Hill

snippage

Lin Digs Books wrote:

So I reading yet another British mystery (I can just hear y'all
saying, doesn't she read ANYthing else?!), and have another bit of
obscurity (to me) to present for elucidation (you see, I've at least
read a dictionary).

Start quote:

Cop #1: And then there was that bit about the stained glass artist.
Cop #2: Christian Timbrook. Peculiar name for an artist. Not exactly
uninhibiting.
Cop #1: Perhaps his father wanted a son interested in lions.

End quote.

Now, are we talking about Roman-era christians and lions in the arena?
If not, what the lions doing in there?

Thanks for any comments.
Lindig

My guess is that there is no special reference here other than the
Christian/lions opposition.
Matthew Hill