The 5,000 Cent Search Today... :)

Old September 28th 06, 10:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Sibirskmoneta

Default The 5,000 Cent Search Today... :)

I bought two boxes of cents at one of my banks branches today. After
several hours of on again off again roll searching, I managed to navigate my
way through the rolls the primary purpose to retire pre-1982 cents from
circulation. In all I managed to retire 1,634 of them from circulation.

I also made the following finds:

Canada(I save only pre-1965's and the 1967 commems)

George VI
1944 X 2

Elizabeth II
1955
1957
1959
1960 X 3
1961
1962 X 3
1963 X 3
1964 X 6
1967 X 3 For a total of 24 Canucks

USA
1919-S !!! http://www.geocities.com/scottishmon...e/scan0004.jpg My
second wheat cent in one week dated 1919, this is far better than the other
one I got in change last Friday.
1934-D
1935
1942 X 2
1944 You know a roll is going to be good when you see this:
http://www.geocities.com/scottishmon...e/DSC01031.JPG
1944-D
1945
1947-D
1950
1951-D
1952-D X 2
1953-D X 2
1955
1955-D X 2
1956-D
1957-D
1958 For a total of 23 wheat cents

Other S-Mints
1969-S X 4
1970-S X 4
1971-S X 4
1972-S
1973-S X 4
1974-S X 4 For a total of 21 S-Mints, save the 1919-S.

And then I took the remaining 3400 cents back to the bank. And that is when
the fun began. They have a coin sorting and counting machine. I put the
3400 or so cents in there along with several dollars in accumulated change.
Now mind you, several of the Zincolns were eaten away or corroded and were
rejected. 6 of them to be exact. So when the machine was done counting I
pulled them from the reject tray and handed them to the teller for
redemption along with my receipt. She proceeded to tell me that they cannot
accept mutilated coins, that they are not legal tender. My response was
that it was interesting, they could dispense them when they sold me the
rolls of coins, but could not take them back. She said I would have to
prove it. I advised her that the coins were still legal tender, that they
are obligated to redeem them and send them to the federal reserve. She then
tore off and spoke with someone she said was a manager, whom she then
indicated said to take them this time, but not in the future.

I told her that perhaps I should do my bronze and wheat searches in the bank
there, so that I can prove they dispense mutilated coins. She said that it
would be impossible, they don't have mutilated coins. I then told her, I
have to wonder in the nearly 10 yrs I have done business with their bank,
that I have had nothing but wonderful service, including tellers that call
me when rolls of Ike Dollars etc come in and they hold them for me, until
today. I wonder if she would really like to pick a fight and have myself,
and several people I know with large accounts close them?

Old September 29th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Brian Blackwell

"Sibirskmoneta" wrote in message
I wonder if she would really like to pick a fight and have myself, and
several people I know with large accounts close them?

Sounds more like you were the petty one looking to pick a fight over 6
cents.

Old September 29th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Capri

Actually it sounds to me like you are the one witth the problem here.

Old September 29th 06, 04:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Iagos Fool

"Brian Blackwell" wrote in message

"Sibirskmoneta" wrote in message
I wonder if she would really like to pick a fight and have myself, and
several people I know with large accounts close them?

Sounds more like you were the petty one looking to pick a fight over 6
cents.

Six cents is entirely trivial for either side to argue over. That said, how
can a bank possibly not accept worn money? They are kind of in the business
of dealing with money. By its nature, some money will be old and worn out.
Banks are the primery channel through which coins and bills which are past
their prime find their way back to the Fed.

My guess is that there was a miscommunication somewhere in the chain of
command at that branch.

IF

Old September 29th 06, 05:49 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MK

If it is wrong, one has good reason to dispute it.(maybe an obligation)
Of course there's always your pride.
mk

"Capri" wrote in message
oups.com...

Actually it sounds to me like you are the one witth the problem here.